uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

fifonik
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 53
Joined: 2014-08-29, 02:21
Location: Brisbane, Australia

uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-10-10, 03:34

I used to use ADBlock Plus long time ago and then switched to uBlock Origin and still using it.

Are there any benefits of using ABPrime or ABL instead?

Am I missing anything important?
Just curious.

Thanks.

doofy
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 414
Joined: 2017-08-14, 23:43

Re: uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-10, 03:38

fifonik wrote:I used to use ADBlock Plus long time ago and then switched to uBlock Origin and still using it.
Are there any benefits of using ABPrime or ABL instead?
Am I missing anything important?
No. No.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 371
Joined: 2015-06-13, 03:34
Location: KY

Re: uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

Unread post by adisib » 2018-10-10, 04:47

Some people find ABL and ABPrime more user friendly, while uBlock Origin is generally more efficient. In addition, ABPrime guarantees that your filter lists will always be loaded when the browser starts; uBlock Origin provides an option for this, but does not guarantee with absolute certainty that there will be no network requests before the filter lists are loaded like ABPrime inherently does.

ron_1
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1975
Joined: 2012-06-28, 01:20

Re: uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-10-10, 14:20

Off-topic:
adisib wrote:
In addition, ABPrime guarantees that your filter lists will always be loaded when the browser starts; uBlock Origin provides an option for this,
Where is this option in uBo? I can't find it.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 371
Joined: 2015-06-13, 03:34
Location: KY

Re: uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

Unread post by adisib » 2018-10-10, 17:57

helloimustbegoing wrote:
Off-topic:
adisib wrote:
In addition, ABPrime guarantees that your filter lists will always be loaded when the browser starts; uBlock Origin provides an option for this,
Where is this option in uBo? I can't find it.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... perimental

fifonik
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 53
Joined: 2014-08-29, 02:21
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: uBlock Origin vs ABPrime vs ABL

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-10-10, 21:10

I read earlier about the requests blocking before browser starts by ABPrime (I also was not aware that uBO can do the same).
Not a big deal for me as I do not restart browser for weeks. Also, I do not care about "leaking" some requests that should be blocked after restart.
Probably I am not as paranoid as I should be.

I read about uBO efficiency as well.
However, I have not tested it myself (too lazy) and I do not believe in everything that developers claim about their own program.
It might not be 100% correct, you know.

So looks like the main difference is UI.
This is also not really important for me as I do not use ad blocker's UI often. It just works behind the scene.

Anyway, thanks for replies. I think someone else might find them useful while choosing ad blocker.

P.S. I have ad blocker on my router so probably I need to check its efficiency and if it is good -- disable uBO completely or at least remove duplicated subscriptions.

Post Reply