Looking for "Magic Actions" / "Enhancer" for YT alternatives

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

DragonFox

Looking for "Magic Actions" / "Enhancer" for YT alternatives

Unread post by DragonFox » 2018-09-30, 19:02

Hello. This a real showstopper for me, Neither of them can be even tested on Pale Moon and it makes this browser a bit useless to me...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-youtube/
(* Web Extensions not supported in PM :? )

If someone knows of a similar addon that works with PM, please tell.

Looking for:
* Actually working adblocker (that includes video ads) with option to whitelist channels
* Forcing auto 720p (sometimes YT forgets the preference)
* Change volume by scrolling mouse wheel (with some on-screen indicator)

* Dark theme (doesn't have to be in the same addon)

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Looking for "Magic Actions" / "Enhancer" for YT alternatives

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-02, 20:34

DragonFox wrote:* Actually working adblocker (that includes video ads) with option to whitelist channels
I don't have it installed ATM, because I just migrated to a new OS installation, but Ad Nauseum works great under a minimalist Ubuntu 16.04, similar to Lubuntu. There is a thread on here about how to install it, and how to make it play nice with specific sites. uBlock is a less belligerent version. Running Ad Nauseum instead is a moral stance. It takes some tweaking but it can be made to attack the G monster specifically. A lot of people want to look the other way on this, but if you take the time to study and honestly consider it, it is hard avoid the truth: Google is EVIL. /me steps down from soapbox. There is no way to exclude internal video ads without downloading the video and editing it, ASFAIK. The ones that come at the start of the video - that might be possible, but the only way I know is to use youtube-dl and watch the video locally. You could script something to do that into a tmp directory (I forget what that's called in Windows) and play it on completion.
DragonFox wrote:* Forcing auto 720p (sometimes YT forgets the preference)
Dunno, but I wonder if that couldn't be addressed through cookie management. Maybe it forgets when a cookie that remembers it is deleted?
DragonFox wrote:* Change volume by scrolling mouse wheel (with some on-screen indicator)
In 'nixes, I've always done that with keybinds for the scroll up & down that call a script that checks the window under the pointer and does whatever. Something like that ought to be possible in other OSs, if there isn't something actually easier. I'd bet there is freeware out there for that. Just guessing.
DragonFox wrote:* Dark theme (doesn't have to be in the same addon)
Stylem rules! Lots of great dark themes, both per website and global.
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-10-02, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-02, 20:44

For what is worth, if you install Greasemonkey and then the Youtube+ (or similar) userscript, you can get a bunch of useful settings. Don't know if there are those you need, it has more options than I need and I didn't bother looking at it too much.
Probably there are userscripts for other features you want, I have like 4 of them.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-10-03, 01:26

DragonFox wrote:Hello. This a real showstopper for me, Neither of them can be even tested on Pale Moon and it makes this browser a bit useless to me...

(* Web Extensions not supported in PM :? )

If someone knows of a similar addon that works with PM, please tell.

Looking for:
* Actually working adblocker (that includes video ads) with option to whitelist channels
* Forcing auto 720p (sometimes YT forgets the preference)
* Change volume by scrolling mouse wheel (with some on-screen indicator)

* Dark theme (doesn't have to be in the same addon)
1) Magic Actions v6.8.8.8 works in PM v28

2) Volumouse will change the system volume by scrolling the mouse wheel & give you an on-screen indicator.
It works beautifully and is configurable.

DragonFox

Unread post by DragonFox » 2018-10-04, 02:02

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote: Ad Nauseum works great under a minimalist Ubuntu 16.04, similar to Lubuntu. There is a thread on here about how to install it, and how to make it play nice with specific sites. uBlock is a less belligerent version. Running Ad Nauseum instead is a moral stance. It takes some tweaking but it can be made to attack the G monster specifically. A lot of people want to look the other way on this, but if you take the time to study and honestly consider it, it is hard avoid the truth: Google is EVIL. /me steps down from soapbox. There is no way to exclude internal video ads without downloading the video and editing it, ASFAIK. The ones that come at the start of the video - that might be possible, but the only way I know is to use youtube-dl and watch the video locally. You could script something to do that into a tmp directory (I forget what that's called in Windows) and play it on completion.
I dunno how either of the two does it, but it does not involve editing the video, as the ads that in-between videos are separate video files

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:
DragonFox wrote:* Forcing auto 720p (sometimes YT forgets the preference)
Dunno, but I wonder if that couldn't be addressed through cookie management. Maybe it forgets when a cookie that remembers it is deleted?
Not sure. just annoying to have YT go 4k randomly then drop to 360p just because of a network spike.
Happens quite often when steam is downloading updates. My mobile devices don't do this crap...
Trapper852 wrote:2) Volumouse will change the system volume by scrolling the mouse wheel & give you an on-screen indicator.
It works beautifully and is configurable.
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:In 'nixes, I've always done that with keybinds for the scroll up & down that call a script that checks the window under the pointer and does whatever. Something like that ought to be possible in other OSs, if there isn't something actually easier. I'd bet there is freeware out there for that. Just guessing.
I could do this in autohotkey, but it is a bad idea as the soundcard i have has it's own physical volume knob which feeds no info back to the system. So ideally i keep this usb device at 100% in windows and "normal" on the physical side.
System-wide volume changes ain't what i'm looking for as I might want the video a bit quiet but other applications (games) unaffected.
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:
DragonFox wrote:* Dark theme (doesn't have to be in the same addon)
Stylem rules! Lots of great dark themes, both per website and global.
Looks pretty nice
vannilla wrote:For what is worth, if you install Greasemonkey and then the Youtube+ (or similar) userscript, you can get a bunch of useful settings. Don't know if there are those you need, it has more options than I need and I didn't bother looking at it too much.
Probably there are userscripts for other features you want, I have like 4 of them.
Trapper852 wrote:1) Magic Actions v6.8.8.8 works in PM v28
Can't find that xpi, only crx and I don't know, is there a way to run crx extensions on PM/Firefox?

Anyway; it looks like these should work:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/28324 ... -to-scroll
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9932-youtube +
with Stylem

I'll give it a try in a couple of days :)