Adblock Latitude realtime blocking

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

darkporter

Adblock Latitude realtime blocking

Unread post by darkporter » 2018-09-21, 17:20

I just updated to ABL 5.0.1 (from 4.0.1) and notice that adding a new hiding rule (or activating one that was unchecked) does not immediately take effect.

Example: go to http://www.palemoon.org, create rule "palemoon.org##.mainmenu" (without quotes). In version 4.0.1, the rule immediately hides the element at creation. Now it does not take effect until the page is refreshed.

Generally, a page refresh is not an issue. However, when I pay a bill, I print the confirmation to PDF, and have rule groups to hide all the web page frills on demand (header/footers/sidebars/etc) specific to the site, so I have a cleaner electronic receipt (and smaller file size). Refreshing the page is usually not an option in that case, as it might either charge a second time, or lose the confirmation page altogether.

This UI feature is the main reason I've stuck with the Adblock-style extension (AB Edge, AB Latitude) for years. Easy, nice separation of hide element groups that can be activated with one check box. I hope this is simply a small oversight from the extension rewrite. Maybe it's controlled by a new about:config setting?

What do you think? Meanwhile, I can try to remember to activate the rule group before I get the confirmation on screen.

Cheers!

pmjack
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Adblock Latitude realtime blocking

Unread post by pmjack » 2018-09-22, 04:09

You might want to consider getting a different addon for your purpose of printing. Nuke Anything Enhanced would work nicely for you. Scroll down until you see Version 1.1.1-signed.1-signed and install that.

Adblock latitude 5.0 is based on a newer Adblock Plus version that made changes to the way element hiding works. You can read it here:

https://adblockplus.org/development-bui ... in-firefox
Last edited by pmjack on 2018-09-22, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

darkporter

Unread post by darkporter » 2018-09-23, 13:50

Thanks for all that info, pmjack. I wasn't aware about the fundamental changes in the extension. Too bad we can't have both the old and new way in some fashion. It was very convenient to be able to activate a filter group specific to a particular website when needed.

The Nuke Anything Enhanced extension you pointed out will work also, and is easier than doing manual changes with the Element Inspector. If only one could define groups of changes, like with ABL filter groups, save a few minutes and clicks. Luckily, I only encounter this a couple times a month. It won't be a big deal.

I got into this rabbit hole by upgrading PM from 27.9.something to 28.0.1 and found ABL 4.0.1 didn't work anymore. It wasn't disabled, but nothing seemed to work in the UI anymore. I'd gladly downgrade back to 4.0.1 if it could be made to work with PM 28.0.1. Is there any way that can happen? No problem if not, but one can dream.

Thanks for the great help on this forum, and thanks to the devs for a great product. People don't really give y'all enough kudos.

Cheers!

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-23, 15:30

Nuke Anything Enhanced, slight Modifications per: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14280539, available at the google link, viewtopic.php?p=149454#p149454.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-23, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.