Any way to disable audio on some domains?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

fifonik

Any way to disable audio on some domains?

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-09-13, 22:54

Hi,

I'd like to have an option to completely disable audio on some domains.
I am able to do this in vivaldi (possibly in chrome) through site permissions.
Unfortunately, I cannot control this in firefox/palemoon.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Fedor2

Re: Any way to disable audio on some domains?

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-14, 21:01

This is possible to do with custom rule on the ublock extension.
Give a link, i shall try.

fifonik

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-09-17, 01:18

Thanks for suggestion, however I'm looking for simple solution, like button to mute/unmute audio on the web site (like YesScript, but for audio).

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-17, 01:36

fifonik wrote:Thanks for suggestion, however I'm looking for simple solution, like button to mute/unmute audio on the web site (like YesScript, but for audio).
Depends on the audio source - if you just want to mute HTML5, it's fairly easy, and an hour or so on AMO will turn something up.
Muting HTML5 and Flash seems to be a lot more difficult.

I spent a while looking for precisely what you are asking for a few week back and ended up with this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

A toolbar button to mute the whole browser.

fifonik

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-09-17, 21:46

Thanks for reply.
I knew about the addon.

I'm watching quite a lot youtube videos with audio so muting whole browser does not make sense.
I'd like to mute it per domain (should be persistent to survive tab close/open) as on some domains some video with audio or only audio started to play in background that is awful.
However, sometimes I'm watching videos (with audio) on these web sites as well so I'd like to have way to un-mute/mute again it without editing block lists.

As I was already mentioned, it is in-built Vivaldi/Chrome feature accessible through padlock.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-17, 22:09

fifonik wrote:As I was already mentioned, it is in-built Vivaldi/Chrome feature accessible through padlock.
That's very nice for them.

You ignore my main point - that it only gets complicated if you want to mute HTML5 and flash. Selectively muting HTML5 is easy, and there are loads of returns on AMO to do just that. And at least one on APO.

No idea if any of them survive tab closing...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-17, 23:39

fifonik wrote:I'm watching quite a lot youtube videos with audio so muting whole browser does not make sense...
I'd like to mute it per domain (should be persistent to survive tab close/open) as on some domains some video with audio or only audio started to play in background that is awful. However, sometimes I'm watching videos (with audio) on these web sites as well so I'd like to have way to un-mute/mute again it without editing block lists.
If I understand correctly, you often load multiple videos (with audio) at the same time? I fail to see how that makes sense...
Why not block auto-playback for those domains? Better yet, avoid loading multiple tabs at once, let alone audio/video tabs.

The mute button makes a lot of sense (a shortcut is even better, if possible): mute the browser without muting the whole system (the Windows Volume Mixer can also do this).
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-17, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

fifonik

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-09-18, 00:54

fifonik wrote:As I was already mentioned, it is in-built Vivaldi/Chrome feature accessible through padlock.
doofy wrote:That's very nice for them.
It was not offense.
It is implemented in the same place (padlock) where other per-site settings implemented in almost every browser (including Palemoon).
And it make sense as there you are able to manage permissions for cookies, location, plugins, popups, but not audio for some reason.
I'm Palemoon user. I'd like to have some good things to be implemented in the browser I use. Is is bad?
doofy wrote:You ignore my main point - that it only gets complicated if you want to mute HTML5 and flash.
No, I'm not.
Even partial implementation (HTML5 audio only) would be better than nothing.
Are there extension for muting HTML5 audio per domain I'm missing?
doofy wrote:No idea if any of them survive tab closing...
Addon's settings?
Like in YesScript. If I pressed the button on toolbar to disable javascript on a nasty web site, it stores the web site domain in preferences (I can see it) and next time I open the web site javascript is still blocked.
back2themoon wrote:If I understand correctly, you often load multiple videos (with audio) at the same time?
Sure.
While I'm watching one video, other videos are loading in background tabs on pause (auto playback is already disabled).
I know that I'm not the one who doing this :)

Some ADs in background tabs are able to starts to play some audio or video+audio using javascript. Right now when I hear the noise or see the Expose Noisy Tabs indicator on such tabs I'm switching the audio manually. However, I'd like to completely rid off the issue for these web sites.
back2themoon wrote:Better yet, avoid loading multiple tabs at once, let alone audio/video tabs.
And wait till it loaded when I need it?

Public Enema

Unread post by Public Enema » 2018-09-18, 05:11

This seems like exactly what you need: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
The newest version is WebExt, but version 0.0.9 should work on PM, just disable the compatibility check. Maybe version 0.1.4

There's also this nice little addon made for PM itself, it adds a mute button to each tab: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/expose-noisy-tabs/
This one seems to do the same thing: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-control/

If you want to turn all sound from the browser off, you can set the media.webaudio.enabled preference to false. This addon claims to add a toolbar button to switch it on and off, I haven't tried it tho: https://github.com/IsaacSchemm/autoplay-toggle
Last edited by Public Enema on 2018-09-18, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

fifonik

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-09-18, 22:28

Thanks!
MuteLinks looks promising, I'll try to make it works in PM.