Clean Links - disappearing button

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

50addons

Clean Links - disappearing button

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-12, 13:17

I have installed Clean Links 2.7.1 on Pale Moon 28.0.0.

It works but it keeps disappearing. By that I mean: the button I customized onto a toolbar disppears from the toolbar and also from the Customize dialog. And when the button has disppeared URLs are not stripped on page load.

If I disable and enable the extension in about:addons, the button reappears in the Customize dialog and I can pull it onto the toolbar again. And URL stripping starts working again.

Any ideas what the problem is and what workaround I could try?

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Clean Links - disappearing button

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2018-09-12, 21:06

I also noticed this behavior in Pale Moon 27. I think this may have started happening when the author made the extension restart-less. Have you tried using an older Clean Links version? I went all the way back to 2.2. Hopefully someone else will respond with a proper fix.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-12, 21:11

To be precise: the button disappears after closing the browser.
After startup, a disable, then enable of the extension makes the button reappear in the Customize dialog, from where it can be dragged onto a toolbar.

I'll try an older version. Thanks for the suggestion.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-12, 22:42

I have been using version 2.7.1 with Firefox 45 ESR for two years. The button never disappeared.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-09-13, 00:01

The release page listed up till 2.7.0. May I know where you got the version 2.7.1?
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-13, 07:23

hujan86 wrote:The release page listed up till 2.7.0. May I know where you got the version 2.7.1?
Downloaded from Mozilla Add-ons in 2016.
2018-09-13_08-24-15.png
The Github link in the screenshot takes you to a version comparison.

2.7.0 was released on 24 Feb 2015, same date as 2.7.1. I suspect the latter is just a signed version for Mozilla.

PS: I ScrapBook every extension and I download them onto the filesystem rather than installing them into the browser. So I had everything to hand for the Pale Moon migration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 50addons on 2018-09-13, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-13, 15:18

I wonder whether I could fudge something using Custom Buttons3?

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-19, 20:51

The following error occurs during browser startup:

Code: Select all

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///<cleanlinks-path>.xpi!/bootstrap.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 409"  data: no]
The statement that throws the error:

var { CustomizableUI } = Cu.import('resource:///modules/CustomizableUI.jsm', {});
The button is not displayed.

Next, I disable, then enable the extension.
The same error is thrown during enabling.
And another error is thrown:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///<cleanlinks-path>.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> resource://cleanlinks/browser.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 26"  data: no]
Despite the errors the button is now displayed and the extension active.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-20, 17:38

Despite the errors the button is now displayed and the extension active.
Does it persist a restart?
[Now it does.]

OK, so what you are saying is that on initial install it was there.
But then on browser restart it was not there.

But if you then go into Addons Manager, Disable, then Enable the extension, from that point on, it sticks (persists).

Off-topic:
Any reason you weren't on 28.0.1 (& now on 28.1.0)?

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-20, 19:04

therube wrote:OK, so what you are saying is that on initial install it was there.
But then on browser restart it was not there.
But if you then go into Addons Manager, Disable, then Enable the extension, from that point on, it sticks (persists).
No. The button vanishes after every shutdown. I need to disable/enable the extension after every browser start.

Off-topic:
therube wrote:Any reason you weren't on 28.0.1 (& now on 28.1.0)?
No particular reason other than that I have auto-update disabled. I tend to upgrade every few years only and only when I must (when web pages no longer work due to new HTML features) as I don't fancy breaking my extensions.
I take your point though. I should back up my profile and try the new version.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-20, 20:45

Tried it with Pale Moon 28.0.0 in a clean profile:
The button does not disappear on browser start. :oops: :x

Now the big question is which setting or extension interferes with it.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-20, 21:04

After having installed CleanLinks, I installed TGS.
Restarted browser: CleanLinks button had disappeared from the Navigation Menu. Disabled/enabled CleanLinks. Button re-appeared.
Exited browser, started again: button still there.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-20, 21:08

The button vanishes after every shutdown.
Where do you have the button?
On the Status bar, Bookmarks toolbar, Menu bar... ?

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-20, 21:20

therube wrote:
The button vanishes after every shutdown.
Where do you have the button?
On the Status bar, Bookmarks toolbar, Menu bar... ?
In my main browser profile, I had customized the button onto the TGS toolbar. I also tested putting the button on the navigation bar - button disappears from there, too.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-20, 23:45

Persisting on my end.

New, clean Profile.
Installed NoScript.
Installed Clean Links 2.7.0.

Persists on the URL bar, different positions on the URL bar, on the Menu bar, Bookmarks toolbar, & the Status bar.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-21, 08:16

New clean profile.
  1. installed CleanLinks 2.7.1 (button on navigation bar) exit, browser start, button persists
  2. installed TGS 1.0.7 exit, browser start, button persists
  3. moved button to TGS bar exit, browser start, button persists
  4. installed Customize Title Text v2 0.7 exit, browser start, button disappears
  5. disable/enable CleanLinks button appears, exit, browser start, button persists
  6. removed Customize Title Text v2 0.7 exit, browser start, button disappears
  7. disable/enable CleanLinks button appears, exit, browser start, button persists
I have repeated sequence 4-5 and 4-7 with other extensions: same effect on button regardless whether the button is in nav bar or TGS bar.
Last edited by 50addons on 2018-09-21, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-21, 14:04

Another test with a new clean profile, without TGS and without ghacks user.js settings:
  1. installed CleanLinks 2.7.1 (button on navigation bar) exit, browser start, button persists
  2. installed another extension exit, browser start, button disappeared
  3. disable/enable CleanLinks button appears, exit, browser start, button persists
Conclusion: it's got nothing to do with presence of TGS or me moving the button to TGS bar.

The difference, however, to my recently fully set up browser profile is that the button persists across exit/start if no extension is installed during this session. That would be ok provided that continued to be the case for my full set-up, which would take a few hours to find out.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-09-21, 14:23

This is an old and still unsolved case. Addon stops working & button disappears · Issue #14 · diegocr/CleanLinks
A couple of years ago I've managed somehow to make the button stay by trying to install/uninstall addons in different order and that worked until now. Until I decided to move the button to another bar))
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-21, 14:52

_yuyu_ wrote:This is an old and still unsolved case.
Brilliant find!

I never had this problem in Firefox 45ESR - maybe just a coincidence dependent on the order of installation.

I tested this using a clean profile and just installing CleanLinks + FoxyProxy - the same versions I had used with Firefox 45ESR. I tested this twice, once installing CleanLinks first, then the other way round. It made no difference: the button never persists across exit/start.

I use FoxyProxy and right enough, once I installed FoxyProxy into my Pale Moon test profile with CleanLinks, the button stopped persisting across exit/start. It doesn't matter which navigation bar I use for the button. When a third extension was installed, not only did I have to disable/enable CleanLinks after startup, but I also needed to drag the CleanLinks button from the Customize dialog onto a navigation bar.
Last edited by 50addons on 2018-09-21, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-21, 15:20

I wonder would it be possible to execute the disable/enable automatically, e.g. via a CustomButton?
Last edited by 50addons on 2018-09-21, 16:19, edited 2 times in total.