KoreNews RSS reader, technical preview

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

KoreNews RSS reader, technical preview

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-03, 15:18

well, i am sitting on this for 3+ years. maybe it is time to show it to the world.

KoreNews is RSS reader, modelled after classic Opera (up to 12) RSS reader, and FoxNews. it can parse RSS and Atom feeds, do scripted filtering and feed content processing, and, of course, allows you to read feed articles.

this is "technical preview" not 'cause it is new and buggy (i am using it for years, after all), but due to limited user-friendliness. while you can use it, help is almost non-existant (especially hotkeys description), and UI is rudimentary.

KoreNews updates feeds on background, and you can put its button on toolbar, to see how much unread articles you have (and to activate main KoreNews UI by clinking on that button).

in UI, you can use:
F6 to activate feeds pane
F7 to activate article list
Ctrl+G to move to the first unread article in a top feed that has one (use it after you opened UI to start reading)
N to move to next unread article in feed (this won't skip to another feed if there are no more unread articles left)
Shift+N to move to next unread article in the current feed, or in the next feed, if current one has no more unread articles
Shift+Enter opens article URL in new tab
there is context menu to control some feed options, and you can right-click on feeds pane header to get another context menu, where you can manage feed groups.

KN tries to register itself as RSS processing app, but sometimes it is failing to do so. go to tools -> preferences -> applications, and check if "web feed" option has "use korenews" selection. if it isn't, restart your browser, and check it again. then you can use that funny "feed" icon in address bar to add a feed to KoreNews.

you can move feeds between groups with drag-n-drop in KN UI.

WARNING! KoreNews may make your browser slow and sluggish! it doesn't really annoys me, so i'm slow at fixing this. i know what i have to change, though, and i'll eventually do it.

git repository. there is no release xpi yet, but you can just pack the cloned repo to zip archive, and rename it to xpi. note, that you have to enter into "korenews" directory, select all files there, and pack 'em, so "install.rdf" will not be put into subdirectory. it is forbidden to upload xpis to forum, so DIY, please. ;-)

i don't want to put KN to addon repository yet, as it is not polished enough. and i am not sure that i'll have enough inspiration to actually "finish" it. so i decided to make this "technical preview" public, in the hope that somebody will find it usable even in its current state.

i may be slow answering questions about KN, so please, be patient. my RL is not a bed of roses right now. sorry.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: KoreNews RSS reader, technical preview

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-03, 15:58

you need to pull the icon out from Customize

F6 & F7 are already a PM shortcut keys.

Off-topic:
(And I'll note that a ChatZilla fork will be available shortly.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-03, 16:05, edited 4 times in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-03, 16:04

F6 and F7 aren't conflicting with normal Pale Moon mode -- they have special meaning only in KN UI. not that you even need 'em, 'cause C-G and S-N are enough anyway. but i am used to those keybinds. ;-)

still, this is something that should be configurable, of course. but... technical preview! ;-)

anyway, feel free to drop your ideas here, as KN is fine as it is now for me, so i don't know what people may need.

p.s.: yep, the icon won't be automatically put onto toolbar. this is by design -- after all, people know about "customize", aren't they? ;-) and there is menu item in tools to activate UI, and hotkey.
Last edited by ketmar on 2018-09-03, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-03, 16:05

I needed a restart.

Ability to change sort order would be nice (like most recent on top).
Colors. Black on dark gray is hard on my eyes.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-03, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-03, 16:07

lol. i was pretty sure that i implemented different sorting, but it seems that i didn't. put that into TODO, tnx.

p.s.: the problem is that "n" and "s-n" expects "latest articles at the bottom", and it won't work properly with other modes. i don't even know what "next unread" should do with "latest at the top" mode -- move to the top unread article? move to the last?

as for colors, it fits my system color scheme. another thing that should be configurable.
Last edited by ketmar on 2018-09-03, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-05, 02:43

p.s.: for now, colors can be changed in "chrome/skin/korenews.css", and keybinds are hardcoded in "main/ui/mainwin.js", in `commonKeys()`, and `commonArtKeys()`. feel free to patch 'em to your liking.

also, there is OPML importing code in "main/modules/gcli/commands.js", but i didn't fixed gcli yet, so it is commented out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-05, 06:56

ketmar wrote:p.s.: the problem is that "n" and "s-n" expects "latest articles at the bottom", and it won't work properly with other modes. i don't even know what "next unread" should do with "latest at the top" mode -- move to the top unread article? move to the last?
In software this is usually solved by having 2 indices: one internal sort order, and one purely for display purposes (the presentation can be completely separate from how the feeds are internally ordered)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-05, 07:28

not that i don't know how to resolve it (i have sqlite database after all, so i know the order for sure! ;-). what i meant is user confusion from unintuitive UI: press "go to next unread", and then guess what "next unread" means today: top of the list? bottom of the list? something else, 'cause user set another sorting order?

with "newer at the bottom" it is all quite logical, though: "next" always means "go down until you'll find something suitable". just in line with "to get a next item in a list, go down". that is how lists are working from a user perspective.
Last edited by ketmar on 2018-09-05, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-05, 20:00

made more operations asynchronous, and deleting body of deleted articles (KN need to keep deleted article GUID in database to filter it out on updates, but we don't need to keep deleted article body).

all feed db updating is asynchronous now, so you should never get any browser UI slowdown due to KN background tasks. i am so used to periodical UI freeze that i missing it now. ;-)

tl;dr: KN should have zero impact on browser responsiveness.
Last edited by ketmar on 2018-09-05, 20:01, edited 2 times in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-05, 22:48

removed hardcoded colors from default UI css. you can style KN UI by creating "%PROFILE%/korenews/html/korenews.css" file, with the syntax similar to "userChrome.css" (see example in "k8style/html/korenews.css").

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-12-14, 03:35

fixed several bugs in update scheduler, and made hidden per-feed update interval option public (you can control it from feed rclick menu). also, feed icon downloader was broken in PM29 (using `createWindowlessBrowser()` instead of abusing `hiddenDOMWindow` is safer anyway).