Print Edit not working in Pale Moon 28 Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ltcomdata
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Print Edit not working in Pale Moon 28

Unread post by ltcomdata » 2018-10-21, 04:29

There are still bugs, even with the changes mentioned above.

For the record, I made the following changes:

find (line 449):

Code: Select all
if (printEdit.versionComparator.compare(printEdit.appInfo.version,"55.0a1") >= 0) printEdit.ffVersion = "55.0";

replace:

if (printEdit.versionComparator.compare(printEdit.appInfo.version,"28.0") >= 0 && printEdit.appInfo.name == "Pale Moon") printEdit.ffVersion = "52.0";
else if (printEdit.versionComparator.compare(printEdit.appInfo.version,"55.0a1") >= 0) printEdit.ffVersion = "55.0";

find (line 1356):

if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"51.0")

replace:

if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"51.0" && !printEdit.ffPaleMoon)

find (in line 531, but not line 1486):

if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"29.0")

replace (in line 531, but not line 1486):

if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"29.0" && !printEdit.ffPaleMoon)

The find code appears twice in printedit-browser.js. The first instance is at line 531 in the original file and is the one to change. You'll see CustomizableUI in the if statement just below the line to change (in the other instance at line 1486 you'll see zoom in the if statement below).

I then installed the add-on from file. Those 3 changes DID help. Print Edit THEN works as it should, PROVIDED THAT you do not change any of the default settings in Options. In particular, if you select the "on first entry enable PDF" option, then the add-on will fail when you press the PREVIEW button. But otherwise the add-on seems to work as it should.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2018-10-23, 03:50

I can't replicate your issues here. All options appear to be working for me (and I specifically made sure to test the "on first entry enable PDF" option).

You could try making the following additional change to printedit-browser.js and see if it helps. It's the only thing I see that's obvious. Testing here with and without this change made no difference, but maybe it will help you.
find (at or near line 1335):

else if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"34.0") printEdit.editBrowser.docShellIsActive = true;
replace:

else if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"34.0" && !printEdit.ffPaleMoon) printEdit.editBrowser.docShellIsActive = true;
Good luck!

albher

Unread post by albher » 2018-10-29, 18:47

Hi Ostradamus,

I can confirm that your suggestions work, all fine again with Print Edit.

Thank you very very much, great work.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2018-10-29, 21:51

Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback!

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-12-09, 23:20

IMHO there's a more elegant solution to PrintEdit or Nuke Anything Enhansed... that's FinePrint (from the makers of pdfFactory Pro). Even though PrintEdit can be hacked to work now with PM 28, it's probably going to be more & more problematic down the road because it's not being developed anymore. FinePrint, on the other hand, is state of the art, is constantly being developed & will work with any app or browser.

It does everything PrintEdit does & way more. The biggest benefit is that it's cross browser & application compatible, meaning it can be used with any browser and / or application. It's not free though.

https://fineprint.com/fp/
Universal print previewer
Delete unwanted pages
Convert to grayscale
Lighten content to save ink
Remove blank pages
Crop pages
Edit text
Sign and mark up print jobs
Remove unwanted text and images
Print multiple pages on a single sheet
Print electronic letterhead
Archive print jobs
works with all applications, browsers & printers
combine documents
delete unwanted pages
add watermarks and stamps
convert to grayscale
print on electronic letterheads/forms
multi-up printing
duplex printing
remove graphics
copy, highlight, redact text
remove, copy, save specific graphics
add borders
control margins
create booklets
save as TIFF, JPEG
archive print jobs
text notes
signatures/initials
snapshot tool

WarpEnterprises
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by WarpEnterprises » 2018-12-12, 16:58

Well, FinePrint is indeed a really nice tool (which I know for around 20 years), but it works like a printer driver, does not allow to edit single page elements, is not free and can't be installed as non-admin (AFAIK).

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-12-12, 18:08

WarpEnterprises wrote:Well, FinePrint is indeed a really nice tool (which I know for around 20 years), but it works like a printer driver
Exactly. That's the beauty of it... it's cross browser & application compatible, meaning it's not tied to just one browser or app.
WarpEnterprises wrote:does not allow to edit single page elements
It absolutely does. You can copy, cut, delete, paste move items around, add new text, etc on a single page. It's all done in the snapshot mode.
WarpEnterprises wrote:is not free
I stated that in my original post. Some things in life, especially top shelf quality, have a price. Not all developers work solely for the betterment of mankind.
Last edited by Trapper on 2018-12-12, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

mopani

Unread post by mopani » 2019-01-05, 01:51

0strodamus wrote: You should be able to get rid of the CustomizableUI errors by adding a third edit to the printedit-browser.js code. I've tested the following change here, but as this isn't affecting Linux I'm seeing no difference. Hopefully, this change will fix things for you in Windows.
find:

if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"29.0")
replace:

if (printEdit.ffVersion >= +"29.0" && !printEdit.ffPaleMoon)
The find code appears twice in printedit-browser.js. The first instance is at line 531 in the original file and is the one to change. You'll see CustomizableUI in the if statement just below the line to change (in the other instance at line 1486 you'll see zoom in the if statement below).
I apologize for my ignorance, I've spent several hours searching for what is probably a very simple answer.

I'm trying to make these same edits to Print Edit 18.4, but PM rejects my modified version, complaining that its corrupt.
  1. Rename the .xpi to .zip, unzipped, edited the files, zip the folders preserving layout, and rename to .xpi.
  2. Update the digest hashes in manifest.mf and mozilla.sf then zip & rename to .xpi, but maybe that won't work since the mozilla signature won't compute anyway?
  3. Remove the META-INF folder, zip & rename to .xpi
  4. ...
What is the correct process for hacking an .xpi file so that it won't be rejected as corrupt on installation?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-05, 12:09

mopani wrote:I'm trying to make these same edits to Print Edit 18.4, but PM rejects my modified version, complaining that its corrupt.
This means that you really made some kind of mistake when editing or repacking the extension. You need to make sure that you have done everything right, and I also advise you to use 7zip to update the xpi package.
What is the correct process for hacking an .xpi file so that it won't be rejected as corrupt on installation?
To be correct, you should remove the META-INF folder, however Pale Moon ignores it, so this was not the cause of the error in your case.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-01-14, 15:06

The posted link to PrintEdit 18.4 no longer works (the file is not there).
Does anyone know of a repository for old add-ons where it might be available?

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-01-14, 15:12

firefoxed wrote:Does anyone know of a repository for old add-ons where it might be available?
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21214

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-02-15, 10:57

Did all the edits suggested, that worked perfectly!
Huge thanks, it's wonderful having that add-on functioning again.
:D :thumbup: :clap:

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-20, 11:32

JustOff wrote:
2019-01-05, 12:09
...you should remove the META-INF folder, however Pale Moon ignores it...
Dear JustOff, thank you for your wonderful extensions and many helpful tips in the threads of the Pale Moon Forum.

You said a while back, if a user deletes unneeded locale folders from a xpi file, he should also remove the corresponding lines from the chrome.manifest to keep the xpi module in proper condition.
Is there any reference that should be removed from somewhere as well when deleting a META-INF folder? (In general. Not only for Print Edit.)
Last edited by Konrad on 2019-05-20, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-05-20, 18:04

Konrad wrote:
2019-05-20, 11:32
Is there any reference that should be removed from somewhere as well when deleting a META-INF folder? (In general. Not only for Print Edit.)
This folder is not linked from anywhere in the xpi package, so you can simply delete it by itself.

PS: You don't have to give thanks every time you ask a question, it makes me feel a little uncomfortable)

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-20, 19:24

I take my hat off to you, JustOff!

By the way, some xpi files contain a webextension folder which seems de trop for Pale Moon.
Can one delete that folder without negative consequences? Are there any associated links that should be eradicated?

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2019-06-08, 22:24

firefoxed wrote:
2019-02-15, 10:57
Did all the edits suggested, that worked perfectly!
Huge thanks, it's wonderful having that add-on functioning again.
:D :thumbup: :clap:
+1 from me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-09, 06:30

Off-topic:
JustOff wrote:
2019-05-20, 18:04
PS: You don't have to give thanks every time you ask a question, it makes me feel a little uncomfortable)
Yeah, damn you JustOff! You got an answer for everything don't you?

There, that should make you feel better ;)

PaleTim

Unread post by PaleTim » 2019-09-10, 08:10

If someone could PM me that modified working xpi, I'd be grateful. I know I could do it myself, but I spent days going through all FF extensions and a time save would be nice.