Request to look into Internet Download Manager add-on

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

SoftAlien

Re: Request to look into Internet Download Manager add-on

Unread post by SoftAlien » 2018-09-11, 10:00

I did install firefox and it instantly detected and asked me about IDM Download plug-in installation. When I click advanced integration in IDM options, it does show Waterfox there but browser doesnt detect it once I start it. Worked fine on previous version that I had.

rancorx2

Unread post by rancorx2 » 2018-12-07, 20:38

hi, new here, i tried editing the install.rdf files in the two addon xpi that aren't webextensions, both installed, and showed different versions (only tried one at a time), however the addon(s) are useless, i couldn't get the the manager to grab any downloads, the menu buttons were essentially useless as nothing happen when clicked.

i recently switched to pale moon as i'm sick of firefox getting crapper and crapper, what with it's lack of customization and climbing memory usage that goes stupidly high at times, lag on youtube and other bs.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-12-07, 22:53

Only IDM can fix this, they are the ones to contact.

rancorx2

Unread post by rancorx2 » 2018-12-09, 15:46

^ looks like i need to find a new dl manager or just something that'll work on pm.

dutavr

Unread post by dutavr » 2019-01-04, 20:36

rancorx2 wrote:^ looks like i need to find a new dl manager or just something that'll work on pm.
looks like we all need to find a new browser...

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-01-05, 02:26

for the majority of downloads you don't need the IDM addon for it to pick up links. the only situation where the addon comes in handy is when you need to sniff and download videos

https://i.imgur.com/wOqSwlP.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-01-05, 11:09

If you only need the download managing functions, you can make any download manager cooperate with Pale Moon (including IDM) with the Flashgot extension. If you require video grabbing/download, I suggest youtube-dl to everyone. It works with a massive amount of websites (not just YouTube, as the name implies) and is constantly updated.

It does require some setting up but it's not difficult at all (many guides available). Once ready, you won't need anything else.

Vultural
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Vultural » 2019-01-23, 15:57

Take this with a grain of salt.
As others have mentioned, there are other download tools that work well with Pale Moon.
For YouTube I use WinX You Tube.
I do have an IDM hack, however, when other routes fail.
I have Pale Moon 25 on a flash drive.
Extensions are uBlock Origin and NoScript ("Classic"), and the IDM xpi.
I DO NOT surf with this setup. This is for specific files at specific sites.
Pale Moon honchos will warn you using an outdated browser is unsafe - they are correct.
This works for me, running a backup computer with limited capabilities.
Good luck out there.

PCMasterRace

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2019-02-01, 23:00

Just to put in my two cents, IDM is just not worth the headache anymore. The devs are lazy as shit and have really let stuff slide starting in early 2018. It seems like no one is actively developing anymore because the browser integrations are constantly breaking and stay broken for weeks, the program does not play well with Windows and will sometimes slam the CPU and/or disk until you restart the program, get over 5 downloads going and sometimes the GUI starts seriously lagging, and finally the program is suddenly incapable of seeing that there is already a file called “picture” and fails to rename to “picture (2)” like is normal, and furthermore, it even fails to prompt to rename and just automatically overwrites the existing file! What a utter pile of shit it had become! So sad!

PCMasterRace

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2019-02-01, 23:31

FYI, I just started using Free Download Manager and it is terrific. Unlike IDM, you can make it so that it just automatically downloads stuff without even popping up anything if you want. IDM's constant popups when mass downloading pictures or videos was really starting to irritate me.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-02, 13:00

I don't use it so I can't really say, but...

"Be aware that this software's [Free Download Manager] firefox plugin is running bitcoin mining.
This add-on uses about 25% of the processor. It uses Windows CMD."

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Free ... iews#14073

MRDA2611

Unread post by MRDA2611 » 2019-05-21, 16:23

This is the response I got after e-mailing them a few days ago:
Hello,

Probably you should try to contact developers of Pale Moon in order they add support for webextensions at last. Or ask them to return loading of our old extension. They decided to remake extensions from one old technology on another one ALSO not supported by FireFox technology.

We will not support these old technologies already, but even if we recompile extension the way they need, we will not be able to sign this extension on addons.mozilla.org. They do not accept for signing anything but webextensions, and without Mozilla digital signature extension will not install.

Best regards,

Dave Saeger
IDM Support
Tonec Inc.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-05-21, 16:46

MRDA2611 wrote:
2019-05-21, 16:23
They decided to remake extensions from one old technology on another one ALSO not supported by FireFox technology.
Uh...what? We support a total of 3(!) different ways to produce an add-on, of which none have changed anything of note:

1. XUL Overlays (preferred)
2. XUL Bootstrap
3. Jetpack (PMKit) - Not preferred

These are the same that Firefox supported before v57 when it adopted WebExtensions.
MRDA2611 wrote:
we will not be able to sign this extension on addons.mozilla.org.
Add-ons for Pale Moon do not require signing (and honestly, given the recent fiasco at Mozilla even if you could get Mozilla to sign add-ons...would you want to?). You can sign them if you want, but there is no requirement to do so.

MRDA2611

Unread post by MRDA2611 » 2019-05-21, 20:19

Lootyhoof wrote:
2019-05-21, 16:46
MRDA2611 wrote:
They decided to remake extensions from one old technology on another one ALSO not supported by FireFox technology.
Uh...what? We support a total of 3(!) different ways to produce an add-on, of which none have changed anything of note:

1. XUL Overlays (preferred)
2. XUL Bootstrap
3. Jetpack (PMKit) - Not preferred

These are the same that Firefox supported before v57 when it adopted WebExtensions.
MRDA2611 wrote:
we will not be able to sign this extension on addons.mozilla.org.
Add-ons for Pale Moon do not require signing (and honestly, given the recent fiasco at Mozilla even if you could get Mozilla to sign add-ons...would you want to?). You can sign them if you want, but there is no requirement to do so.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll put this to the IDM guys and see what (if anything) comes back.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-21, 20:25

It sure sounds like the IDM guys have no idea what they're talking about in terms of Pale Moon in general and Pale Moon's extension support in particular.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

MRDA2611

Unread post by MRDA2611 » 2019-05-27, 06:53

SUCCESS!!

I received the following response, with a zip file link:
OK, since digital signature is not required we have made extension of Pale Moon 28.
Followed the installation instructions and everything once again works like a dream! :D

According to IDM support, the next update will have these new Pale Moon integration files as part of the package.

I'd just about given up hope of having a decent video grabber/downloader combo on this, my favourite browser, so this really made my day.

(Feel free to PM me if you can't wait for the next update.)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-05-27, 07:16

Good news, I'll test it when they release it. :)

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2019-05-27, 21:55

MRDA2611 wrote:
2019-05-27, 06:53
SUCCESS!!
Thanks for your effort.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-05-28, 00:15

great news! let us know when the next update is out so we can reinstall the program

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-07-02, 02:31

MRDA2611 wrote:
2019-05-27, 06:53
SUCCESS!!

I received the following response, with a zip file link:
OK, since digital signature is not required we have made extension of Pale Moon 28.
Followed the installation instructions and everything once again works like a dream! :D

According to IDM support, the next update will have these new Pale Moon integration files as part of the package.

I'd just about given up hope of having a decent video grabber/downloader combo on this, my favourite browser, so this really made my day.

(Feel free to PM me if you can't wait for the next update.)
seems like the new update is out (with patchnote indicating PM support) but i still cant install any of the included XPIs. can you share your version?