Save Page WE possible in Pale Moon?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

NotesTracker

Save Page WE possible in Pale Moon?

Unread post by NotesTracker » 2018-08-21, 14:16

Pardon my ignorance about the WE (web extension) capability introduced to Firefox 57, but is it possible to install any of these web extensions in Pale Moon? I've just upgraded to PM 28.0 but the same question goes for earlier PM versions.

There's one in particular that I'd like to see working in Pale Moon. it's Save Page WE and I find it extremely handy in Waterfox which I use at times since some things like Roboform aren't supported for PM (but Waterfox seems to handle them, not sure why PM doesn't or how to trick PM to do so).

Refer to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-page-we/ ...... and in Pale Moon the "Add to Firefox" button is greyed out as I half expected.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Save Page WE possible in Pale Moon?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-21, 14:23

WebExtensions are not supported in Pale Moon.

If you are just trying to save a webpage as a single document and don't necessarily need it to be in HTML format, you could try the MozArchiver extension.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

NotesTracker

Unread post by NotesTracker » 2018-08-24, 21:12

Isengrim wrote: If you are just trying to save a webpage as a single document and don't necessarily need it to be in HTML format, you could try the MozArchiver extension.
I have been using MHT format for years, but it tends to be fairly slow and resource intensive, as well as being awkward in the sense that you cannot depend on MHT format files to be readable in other browsers or on other systems [that don't have MHT support installed].

I have found (while using Waterfox) that "Save Page WE" is noticeably faster and less clunky than saving in MHT format, and has the distinct advantage of producing a regular HTML file in each case so enabling the file to be universally shared without any issues across systems.

It would be nice if somebody with the necessary skills would develop a version of Save Page WE that works on Pale Moon.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-24, 21:44

Try ScrapBook X from Pale Moon Add-ons. "ScrapBook X" does a lot more than just saving web pages. Among its features are
  • 1. Save web pages faithfully: Web pages shown on the screen can be saved without losing any subtle detail. Time of saving and source URL are also recorded for later reference.
    2. Save partial content: You can save partial web content. You can decide whether to save images, audio and video files, fonts, frames, styles, and/or scripts. You can decide how to process saved styles. You can edit the web content to your liking before saving. You can save the web page as a bookmark. ... And more ways for saving are available for you.
    3. Extensive save: You can save web pages and files linked by the web page, save multiple opened tabs, save a list of pages using a URL list, ..., and there are more batch save functionality available for you.
    4. Manage data: You can manage saved items with a tree structure, just as easy as managing the bookmarks.
    5. Search data: You can search any fragment of the saved web pages with the built-in full-text engine.
    6. Edit data: You can add highlights, comments, annotations, or even edit the source html for the saved pages.
    7. Take notes: You can create note pages in ScrapBook, and edit them as easy as editing web pages.
    8. Input and output data: You can combine multiple data items into one. You can generate HTML tree list and make a static scrapbook site. You can configure multi-ScrapBook databases that won't interfere with each other. You can import and export data items for backup or exchange.
    9. Incredibly easy to use, either from the right-click context menus or from the toolbar button.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-24, 21:49

riiis wrote:
Try ScrapBook X from Pale Moon Add-ons.
Is it compatible with Pale Moon 28? Under Compatibility is says: " Pale Moon 25.0 to 27.* "

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-24, 22:00

helloimustbegoing wrote:Is it compatible with Pale Moon 28?
Yes
Under Compatibility is says: " Pale Moon 25.0 to 27.*
Yes, it does say that ;)

NotesTracker

Unread post by NotesTracker » 2018-08-27, 09:05

riiis wrote:Try ScrapBook X from Pale Moon Add-ons. "ScrapBook X" does a lot more than just saving web pages.
Well, I installed Scrapbook X and tested it briefly. AFAIK it doesn't give you the option to display the "Save As..." dialog in order to be able save a given web page into a selected folder (which in my case would mostly vary a lot).

Scrapbook X seems to plonk a web page's contents into a central folder as a collection of indivual files (index.html, png and gif files, etc) which is exactly what I wish to avoid. Saving MHT files is okay, but the "Save Page WE" seems coolest to me.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-08-27, 11:48

Off-Topic
NotesTracker wrote:it's Save Page WE and I find it extremely handy in Waterfox ...
Out of curiosity: does Save Page WE keep its settings saved in private mode browsing when used with Waterfox?
I'm too lazy to download Waterfox and test myself, hence my question.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-08-27, 15:29

NotesTracker wrote: Well, I installed Scrapbook X and tested it briefly. AFAIK it doesn't give you the option to display the "Save As..." dialog in order to be able save a given web page into a selected folder (which in my case would mostly vary a lot).

Scrapbook X seems to plonk a web page's contents into a central folder as a collection of indivual files (index.html, png and gif files, etc) which is exactly what I wish to avoid.
Might give good old ScrapBook a try. I have Version 1.5.9.1-signed.1-signed installed. Works fine.

May need to use the Moon Tester Tool to install from the above link.

Visit the ScrapBook Home Page for good info on how to use.