can't update Check4Change extension Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Offset

can't update Check4Change extension

Unread post by Offset » 2018-08-19, 12:57

This isn't a complaint, I'm reporting it in case there is some common problem with other extensions. Win 7 x64

I had 1.9.7 installed, which broke with 28. I updated to 1.9.8.3 as suggested by @somdcomputerguy in my other thread. Things went as expected, I got the notice in about:addons/Extensions that Check4Change would be updated after restart. However, it would not update after repeated restarts. So I removed C4C and then installed the new version. It did not install but is instead stuck at the following (note that it's also out of alphabetical order). Yes, I can find another ext as suggested by @doofy, but this is a report of a possible bug.

I last manually did an extension update (GreaseMonkey) about a month ago with no problem.

Offset

Re: can't update Check4Change extension

Unread post by Offset » 2018-08-19, 13:29

Well, I tried on a fresh profile and all seems to work okay, going back and forth between versions. So let me amend my question.

Is there a way to identify the conflicting extension without going through a laborious process of disabling all extensions and then enabling one at a time?

[edit:] restarting in safe mode had no effect, so would that make it useless to manually disable extensions looking for a conflicting one?
Last edited by Offset on 2018-08-19, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-19, 15:02

[edit:] restarting in safe mode had no effect, so would that make it useless to manually disable extensions looking for a conflicting one?
In general I would say yes.
But, at times, doing nothing more then simply disabling/enabling extensions has been known to fix "quirks", so it's worth a shot.

(Backup first.)

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-08-19, 15:18

I don't know that the issue is necessarily a conflicting extension in this case. You started a new profile which also starts all settings at their defaults. Also safe mode disables all extensions so you can't really test an extension install in safe mode. It won't work. The easiest way to test whether or not it's extension related is to disable them all. If it makes no difference, it's not a conflict issue.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-19, 17:08

you can't really test an extension install in safe mode
If I'm reading correctly, he restarted into Safe Mode, but was still unable to install the extension.
(You can [should be able to] install extensions - even if you're running in Safe Mode.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-08-19, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Offset

Unread post by Offset » 2018-08-19, 18:22

therube wrote: If I'm reading correctly, he restarted into Safe Mode, but was still unable to install the extension.
(You can [should be able to] install extensions - even if you're running in Safe Mode.)
That is correct. Thanks.

Offset

Unread post by Offset » 2018-08-19, 19:49

Problem solved. The old xpi was locked and couldn't be deleted, so this was my error in not recognizing that at first. Thank goodness I didn't waste a lot of time trying to find a conflicting extension, TY again to therube.

(The xpi was locked by 7-Zip. It was my intention to compare versions to see if I could find out why the older C4C failed to work post-PM28.)

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-08-19, 23:43

Sure, you can install extensions in safe mode, but the extensions won't work. The extension appears to be active, but it does nothing. You can get it working by disabling/enabling it, but as a troubleshooting technique it will only cause confusion.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-20, 12:36

Sure, you can install extensions in safe mode, but the extensions won't work.
Obviously.
But my thinking is that on the chance that some other extension were interfering with the install, starting in Safe Mode, thereby disabling all extensions, might then all this extension to install.

In any case, it turn out to be something else altogether & is now working.