FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-16, 21:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:So all that is "missing" at this point is the goofy scrollbar indiction effect. I am sure someone could strip that sillyness out and make an extension that does only that...
Apparently, someone did. The extension Scrollbar Search Highlighter primarily adds markers in a narrow bar next to the scrollbar (in contrast to FindBar Tweak, which adds them in the scrollbar itself). The latest version of this add-on (1.62, which dates from 2014) works fine with the latest version of Pale Moon.
...and the findbar timeout
This would seem simple to add, and with the Scrollbar Search Highlighter (which hopefully will continue to work in future versions of PM), would give all the main features of FindBar Tweak. I think that the only missing feature that would be nice and that has been requested by multiple people would be the animated bulls-eye.
Last edited by zzz242 on 2018-09-16, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-16, 22:08

So we have just about obsoleted FindBar Tweak in its entirety by specific feature extensions and stock behavior. That is pretty cool.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-17, 06:48

great find zzz242! gave it a test run with FindBar Tweak disabled and it looks quite promising, however, the FBT features below are still unavailable with this set up:

- as noted, the sight animation (bullseye is just one of the two options, i prefer the other one myself) and its color, plus number of repetitions (minor/unimportant)

- sights for all available hits (memory killer and i don't know how it would be useful, but it's there if someone wants it)

- closing the findbar when it loses focus (there should be an additional option, to keep highlight the search term or not after findbar is no longer active)

- find as you type/quick findbar

- position of findbar (minor/unimportant)

- buttons and labels (for customizing the findbar interface, minor/unimportant)

- find in all tabs

- opening the findbar and having it filled with pre-highlighted text

- highlighting text and having the findbar auto-opened and the selected text filled in

so i would say a fully working FindBar Tweak is FAR from obsoleted. if anything the other solutions would be the obsolete ones

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-17, 08:27

It's true that there are still a lot of FBT features still missing even after Scrollbar Search Highlighter is added to the current PM. How important they are depends on whom you ask. I agree that the vast majority of them seem like useful features, and ideally, at some point someone could write an extension that contains most or all of them. It doesn't sound like this is likely to happen soon, though, due to lack of manpower and skills.
fillerup wrote:great find zzz242!
Thanks! I actually just stumbled across this extension accidentally a few months ago. Tonight I just noticed the following for the first time near the top of the FBT description:
This add-on was inspired by Find Toolbar Tweaks and Scrollbar Search Highlighter, all code rewritten and upon which it builds and improves.
The last version of Find Toolbar Tweaks appears to be Version 2.1.0, written for FF 3.5, and can be found here. I haven't tried it, so I have no idea what it would do to the current PM.
fillerup wrote:...however, the FBT features below are still unavailable with this set up:

- find as you type/quick findbar
Both of these work fine for me with Scrollbar Search Highlighter installed - a welcome change from my experience with FBT. I am running with the latest PM on a build that has never had FBT installed, if that makes a difference. Do you have FAYT turned on in Tools => Preferences => Advanced => General?
Last edited by zzz242 on 2018-09-17, 09:07, edited 2 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-17, 09:44

fillerup wrote:- find as you type/quick findbar
The Quick find functionality is available in stock Pale Moon. You just need to press "/".
Last edited by yami_ on 2018-09-17, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-17, 09:57

zzz242 wrote:Do you have FAYT turned on in Tools => Preferences => Advanced => General?
ahh you're spot on here
yami_ wrote:The Quick find functionality is available in stock Pale Moon. You just need to press "/".
wow, today i learned.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2018-09-17, 23:10

Moonchild wrote:It's possible that with the next release there will be some compatibility issues again since we're moving the Findbar to be a global window toolbar again, instead of per-tab, to solve a number of issues with the per-tab setup.
This is a great piece of news: indeed, the major annoyance I found when switching from PM27 to PM28 is that per-tab findbar...

Thanks a bunch for that move ! :thumbup:

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 02:25

p.s. is it just me or are the scrollbar highlights in Scrollbar Search Highlighters not very accurate? look at the position of the first hit and where it is on the scrollbar highlight bar

testing on a fresh profile

https://i.imgur.com/qaRyh6n.png

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-19, 02:47

fillerup wrote:p.s. is it just me or are the scrollbar highlights in Scrollbar Search Highlighters not very accurate? look at the position of the first hit and where it is on the scrollbar highlight bar
The first hit in your example apparently is invisible. Perhaps it's behind the top picture, or some other element is making it invisible.

The second hit appears to be properly located.

Scrollbar Search Highlighter is working fine for me.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 03:57

zzz242 wrote:The first hit in your example apparently is invisible. Perhaps it's behind the top picture, or some other element is making it invisible.
you're right! it's in the mouseover text of one of the pictures at the top of the page. tricky..

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 12:40

28.1.0 completely killed Findbar Tweak (even the bullseye no longer works), so this was short lived. at least it seems to be a really good update, feels as snappy as when i first upgraded to 28.0.0

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-20, 12:50

fillerup wrote:28.1.0 completely killed Findbar Tweak (even the bullseye no longer works), so this was short lived.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19989#p152248

I do say those things for a reason, you know.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 13:20

oh yes, i've been fully aware. no surprise on my part, just posting that as an update

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-20, 15:24

Scrollbar Search Highlighter is now completely broken as well.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 16:49

zzz242 wrote:Scrollbar Search Highlighter is now completely broken as well.
let's hug and cry together

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 17:51

Remember that it is the job of an extension to be compatible with the application not the other way around.

Also,
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19727 wrote:It is the position of the Pale Moon Project that unless the extension directly supports and targets Pale Moon, all Firefox extensions are considered to be unsupported and at the user's own risk. We will no longer impose any restriction upon them, nor any further effort be made to cater to them. What you see is what you get, and your mileage may vary. If a Firefox-targeting extension does not work or work fully on Pale Moon 28, it will have to be the extension that has to change to remedy that.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-20, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-20, 20:40

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Remember that it is the job of an extension to be compatible with the application not the other way around.

Also,
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19727 wrote:It is the position of the Pale Moon Project that unless the extension directly supports and targets Pale Moon, all Firefox extensions are considered to be unsupported and at the user's own risk. We will no longer impose any restriction upon them, nor any further effort be made to cater to them. What you see is what you get, and your mileage may vary. If a Firefox-targeting extension does not work or work fully on Pale Moon 28, it will have to be the extension that has to change to remedy that.
Understood, and I completely agree with the policy here for the reasons stated.

That being said, I would like to make a suggestion. According to the release notes for 28.1.0, the per-tab behavior of the find bar can be restored by setting findbar.termPerTab to true. However, this does not restore all of the previous behavior of the per-tab find bar. I think that if this option is going to be present, it might as well be as useful as possible. Can this option simply make the find bar work the way it did in PM 28.0.1?

I understand the problem of styling with lightweight themes not applying to the find bar in such a situation, so I would suggest just skipping that. I actually like the find bar without the theme - it makes the it stand out more. The previous find bar also had a very valuable quality that it shared with FindBar Tweak that has not been mentioned so far. For users of Tile Tabs (such as myself), both FBT and the previous find bar showed the bar only at the bottom of the current tile, which I think is ideal. The current find bar just displays a toolbar across the entire bottom of the screen, which makes it more difficult to use if you're using anything other than the bottom left tile.

Both FindBar Tweak and Tile Tabs were among the most popular pre-Quantum FF extensions. Their compatibility was handled reasonably well in PM 28.0.1 without any extension-specific support. If it's at all possible, I think that a lot of people would really appreciate it if this functionality were carried forward in the findbar.termPerTab option.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-20, 20:50

zzz242 wrote: According to the release notes for 28.1.0, the per-tab behavior of the find bar can be restored by setting findbar.termPerTab to true.
I'm afraid you misunderstood. It allows search words to be retained per-tab (instead of global) which, for find purposes, is similar to having a find bar instance per tab. It does NOT, however, make the findbar itself per-tab.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 22:31

zzz242 wrote:Both FindBar Tweak and Tile Tabs were among the most popular pre-Quantum FF extensions.
Findbar Tweak was moderately popular at best and only people who needed some sort of extra functionality of the findbar.. as for Tile Tabs? Never even heard of it.. Interesting that it is a very long running extension.. (I looked it up) However, how are you judging popularity of these extensions?

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-20, 23:14

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:However, how are you judging popularity of these extensions?
I was going by number of users, which is unfortunately approximated from memory, as the post-Quantum FF apparently counts users from some recent date. (I'm guessing that it's somewhere around the FF 57 release.)
Moonchild wrote:
zzz242 wrote: According to the release notes for 28.1.0, the per-tab behavior of the find bar can be restored by setting findbar.termPerTab to true.
I'm afraid you misunderstood. It allows search words to be retained per-tab (instead of global) which, for find purposes, is similar to having a find bar instance per tab. It does NOT, however, make the findbar itself per-tab.
Apparently I did misunderstand. Thanks for the elaboration - that explains what I see. But I still want to raise the question for consideration: What about having the per-tab find bar behave as it did in PM 28.0.1? Unless I'm misunderstanding, the find bar itself was per-tab there, so this would just be making the "per-tab" behavior more comprehensive.
Last edited by zzz242 on 2018-09-20, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.