FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-08-18, 01:32

The latest version of FindBar Tweak (2.1.12) now works almost completely in PM 28. Most importantly, the scrollbar markings, which have been broken in PM 27, now work once again. Multiple highlighting and sights (the animated circles) also work fine. The options page is fully functional.

Unfortunately, the find-as-you-type functionality is completely broken. Nothing happens when you just start typing. Furthermore, the FAYT Revived extension, which works fine on its own, also fails to do anything at all if FindBar Tweak is installed.

Nevertheless, I consider this to be merely an inconvenience, since everything else appears to be working. If this is a deal breaker for anyone, then the current FindBar Tweak is not for them. Perhaps someone with some time would want to fix the current version. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, and the author of FindBar Tweak has retired.
Last edited by zzz242 on 2018-08-18, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Unread post by palem » 2018-08-18, 14:11

Great!
Now all the features that I use, are available in Pale Moon.
Thanks PM Team :)

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-18, 16:36

what a pleasant surprise! too bad highlights grid doesn't work with TST (something with how TST affects the scrollbar), but just having the basic functions of Findbar Tweak back is good enough for me. thanks for the notification zzz242
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-18, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-09, 09:41

can anyone confirm that the highlight all hits function broke again in 28.0.1?

edit: downgraded to 28.0.0 and 28.0.0.1 and it works again. nothing in the 28.0.1 changelog seems relevant to this breakage. 28.0.1 is also having some wonky effects on another of my extension (RES)
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-09, 13:28, edited 3 times in total.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-09-11, 07:29

I confirm, Findbar Tweak stopped working after upgrading to 28.0.1 :oops:

Hopefully PM Team will repair bugs introduced in 28.0.1, which are disabling highlight in the scrollbar.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-11, 10:10

palem wrote:I confirm, Findbar Tweak stopped working after upgrading to 28.0.1 :oops:
the search highlight animation still works at least..

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-09-11, 18:12

Strange :o
Few hours ago highlight in the scrollbar was not working in Findbar Tweak on my PM 28.0.1 (on Linux), and now it works fine :thumbup: though I have not changed anything in PM and system. :roll:

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-12, 08:00

Running 28.0.1, FBT in the Repository doesn't have a version that's suitable.
Tried to access the developer's website: reCAPTCHA first then install a Chrome extension - WTF?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-12, 11:00

you have to manually install it from AMO

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-13, 15:23

Right, done, thank you.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-14, 18:26

It's possible that with the next release there will be some compatibility issues again since we're moving the Findbar to be a global window toolbar again, instead of per-tab, to solve a number of issues with the per-tab setup.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 00:08

Moonchild wrote:It's possible that with the next release there will be some compatibility issues again since we're moving the Findbar to be a global window toolbar again, instead of per-tab, to solve a number of issues with the per-tab setup.
aww, when i saw that you posted i was hoping it'd be better news than this. can only hope for someone to create and maintain a PM fork in that case

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 07:29

I am sure someone will eventually. Though, I would be interested in what features people think are important from the extension.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 10:03

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I would be interested in what features people think are important from the extension.
the three key features imo are definitely the 'sight' animation, highlighting all matches, and highlights on scrollbar. aside from that, some people really like the find all feature. it also has a bunch of small QoL options that just make it niiiiice to use
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I am sure someone will eventually.
Finderbar Tweak the old PM fork has been dead for 1.5 years, so not much hope here that we get a proper replacement any time soon

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 12:33

We have the ability to highlight all matches. Dunno what you are talking about re: animations. Also, scrollbar effects might be desirable. Anything else?

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-09-15, 14:43

fillerup wrote:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I would be interested in what features people think are important from the extension.
the three key features imo are definitely the 'sight' animation, highlighting all matches, and highlights on scrollbar. aside from that, some people really like the find all feature. it also has a bunch of small QoL options that just make it niiiiice to use
I strongly second all of these.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:We have the ability to highlight all matches. Dunno what you are talking about re: animations. Also, scrollbar effects might be desirable. Anything else?
The animation is the animated bullseye that can be made to appear over either just the current match or all visible matches.

The ability to specify how long multiple matches are highlighted (which is effectively how long the find bar is shown) is also very valuable to many people. Ideally, there should be an option not to turn this off until the find bar is manually closed. It's really convenient to scroll through a document and see all the matches highlighted, especially in combination with the scrollbar markers.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 15:08

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:We have the ability to highlight all matches.
there's no way to have it turned on by default, is there? and i find Alt-L as the shortcut for toggling it on/off somewhat un-ergonomic
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Anything else?
nothing new comes to mind for me. Findbar Tweak has pretty much covered all the bases, down to the little things like changing the color of the highlight and sighting, or closing the findbar when it loses focus. easy to see why it's such a highly regarded extension

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 19:27

It should stick on when you enable it.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-16, 09:33

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:It should stick on when you enable it.
you're right, i didn't realize Findbar Tweak breaks that interaction

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-16, 13:09

So all that is "missing" at this point is the goofy scrollbar indiction effect. I am sure someone could strip that sillyness out and make an extension that does only that and the findbar timeout.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-16, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.