FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: FindBar Tweak now works in PM 28! (Well, mostly...)

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-21, 00:15

zzz242 wrote:But I still want to raise the question for consideration: What about having the per-tab find bar behave as it did in PM 28.0.1? Unless I'm misunderstanding, the find bar itself was per-tab there, so this would just be making the "per-tab" behavior more comprehensive.
There is no good way to track multiple findbar states interactively between each other. Besides, MOST of the user base wants it how it was and how it is now.. Including my self.

The point is.. extensions are to be compatible with the application not the other way around. FIndbar Tweak doesn't even target Pale Moon which makes it a FIrefox Extension which means it is on an as-is basis. We will not cater to maintaining Firefox extension compatibility at the cost of application development.

If you'd like, we can disable the ability to install Firefox extensions (a Pale Moon-only feature btw) en-mass in the next version requiring everyone to have to modify their Firefox extensions and maybe even fork some and do things properly instead of this long-standing hack. I'm game if you are. BOY the backlash though... :shock: They'll kill me. Outright.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-21, 00:27, edited 7 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-21, 02:33

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:If you'd like, we can disable the ability to install Firefox extensions (a Pale Moon-only feature btw) en-mass in the next version requiring everyone to have to modify their Firefox extensions and maybe even fork some and do things properly instead of this long-standing hack.
how to start world war 3 for dummies
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-21, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-21, 07:29

zzz242 wrote:What about having the per-tab find bar behave as it did in PM 28.0.1? Unless I'm misunderstanding, the find bar itself was per-tab there, so this would just be making the "per-tab" behavior more comprehensive.
It's not an option. Having the findbar per-tab in the Pale Moon front-end causes a bunch of other issues that can't be worked around unless we were to completely change the structure of our main browser XUL to cater to having a toolbar both in the content area and in the global area, depending.

I added the preference to enhance the global search tab with, for all intents and purposes, the one feature that per-tab findbars added as a desirable change: keeping individual search terms on tabs. So, it's better than before. What more do you want than providing maximum flexibility within the framework?
fillerup wrote:how to start world war 3 for dummies
Maybe, or maybe the required push for people to actually get off of their asses and do something. We don't want to have to push users to the precipice, but if that is the only way things will ever get done, then.. well...
(related to that I have always said the dual GUID is meant to be a temporary measure. Especially with the total abandonment of Mozilla of XUL add-ons, it has entirely landed in our lap now. There is only so much time to pass before any unedited Firefox add-on should be considered unmaintained and incompatible, anyway.)
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-21, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Paradise

Unread post by Paradise » 2018-10-28, 13:43

For me Sights is the most impotent part of FindBar Tweak.
If you go through with Next and Previous it really shows you what you search. Without it, it's often a pain to see where you are.

david96

Unread post by david96 » 2019-02-11, 16:52

yami_ wrote:
fillerup wrote:- find as you type/quick findbar
The Quick find functionality is available in stock Pale Moon. You just need to press "/".
Hello, it's raccourcy very excellent. Thank's !

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2019-02-16, 01:50

I just noticed that an alternative add-on: Scrollbar Search Highlighter 1.62.1-signed.1-signed (available in CAA) works again with PM 28.3.1 Great :)

PaleTim

Unread post by PaleTim » 2019-08-30, 10:47

If I may suggest, at https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ should be one of these, preferably FindBar Tweak for Palemoon and/or Scrollbar Search Highlighter.
I do use CaA but verified extensions should be easily accessible.

avada
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by avada » 2019-10-08, 15:49

Did anyone find solutions for Findbar Tweaks' breakages? I see no derivative PM extension like for several once great FF addons.