Biscuit addon (cookie protection)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Biscuit addon (cookie protection)

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-17, 10:50

I have used this addon for many years even before Palemoon. When PM v26.0 was released it became broken. No cookies would show in the cookie manager interface. I would just load 25.8.1 when I needed to edit cookies. When PM 27.0 was released biscuit again started to work correctly And I was happy for that. Now with the release of PM 28.0 it is broken once again with the same problem, no cookies will show in cookie management. They are there but will not show up in the interface. Biscuit is also broken in a new profile with only the one addon installed.

This in my opinion is the best addon for protecting cookies from being deleted since it integrates with the builtin cookie manager. Since there is no support for it and it hasn't been updated in 2 years, I am hoping some one here would try to fork this addon and make it compatible with PM 28x.

I really don't want to use a big bulky cookie addon to protect the hundred or so cookies I need saved, mostly forum logins and other site logins, so I am logged in automatically when I open the pages.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Biscuit addon (cookie protection)

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-18, 13:56

OK I tried Cookie Culler to protect some cookies and it really doesn't protect anything. Only if your deleting cookies in Cookie Culler. If deleted from PM cookie Manager or by cCleaner or any other cleaner the protected cookies are also deleted.

Anyone have a suggestion for protecting certian Cookies from being deleted?

TIA Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-18, 15:44

I doubt there's any add-on that will protect against cookies being cleaned using CCleaner, since CCleaner is a separate application operating outside of the browser.
Off-topic:
I also don't recommend using CCleaner anymore, after the last few debacles.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-08-18, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-18, 16:50

Biscuit does since it saves the protected cookies in a separate cookies.sqlite file in a folder called Biscuit in the profile. Cleaners don't look for this protected file.
I have used Biscuit for many years and still have the protected cookies. The only thing wrong is that NO cookies will show in PMs Cookie Manager even though they are still there. This also happened in PM v26 but was rectified in v27. It would take someone with more knowledge than I to make it work again.

Bill
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-08-18, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Lasorda

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-08-18, 21:24

Maybe use a cookie manager in Pale Moon but configure CCleaner to not delete cookies. At one time CCleaner recognized Pale Moon cookies, but now sees them as if they were FireFox cookies.
CC_Options_v4-16-xxxx.jpg
Off-topic:
I use an old version of CCleaner, v4.16.4763.
Last edited by Frasier on 2018-08-18, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-18, 22:36

I too am using a old version of cCleaner, v5.32 before Avast took it over.
Not being able to protect all those forum and website cookies would mean having to delete cookies a few at a time and never using a cleaner. Using the addon Biscuit (don't know why it was named that) meant setting cookies to delete on close or using a system cleaner never deleted those protected login cookies.
I have searched AMO and found nothing that would work. Those saved cookies just meant I never had to login when accessing a site, and they still work even though some have been expired five years or more. On any site you login to and select the Remember Me option sets the login cookies that need to be protected.
Tommy Lasorda

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-18, 23:05

billmcct wrote:Using the addon Biscuit (don't know why it was named that)
Cookies are either txt files a web site dumps on your puter, or they are small edible things.

Americans call the edible things cookies; Brits call them biscuits.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-18, 23:13

I was aware of that but the developer is in Japan. LOL
Tommy Lasorda

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-18, 23:19

billmcct wrote:I was aware of that but the developer is in Japan. LOL
Japanese loan word from the Brits.

http://www.lexisrex.com/Japanese/Words/biscuit

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-19, 02:14

billmcct wrote:Biscuit does since it saves the protected cookies in a separate cookies.sqlite file in a folder called Biscuit in the profile. Cleaners don't look for this protected file.
I have used Biscuit for many years and still have the protected cookies. The only thing wrong is that NO cookies will show in PMs Cookie Manager even though they are still there. This also happened in PM v26 but was rectified in v27. It would take someone with more knowledge than I to make it work again.
In Biscuit's chrome.manifest file, Biscuit tries to override Pale Moon's cookies file. Apparently, cookies do not show, when Biscuit is enabled, because this attempted override fails.

Code: Select all

override	chrome://browser/content/preferences/cookies.xul	chrome://biscuit/content/cookiesDialog.xul
style	chrome://browser/content/browser.xul		chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit.css
style	chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul	chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit.css
style	chrome://browser/content/browser.xul		chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit37.css	appversion>=3.7a
style	chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul	chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit37.css	appversion>=3.7a
style	chrome://browser/content/browser.xul		chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit80.css	appversion>=8.0a
style	chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul	chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit80.css	appversion>=8.0a
style	chrome://browser/content/browser.xul		chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit230.css	appversion>=23.0a
style	chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul	chrome://biscuit/skin/biscuit230.css	appversion>=23.0a
CookieKeeper also protects cookies and is compatible with Pale Moon. CookieKeeper appears to keep protected cookies in its "cookiekeeper.json" file.

If you use CCleaner to delete unwanted cookies, be sure to protect cookies you want to keep, in CCleaner itself, beforehand. AFAIK Biscuit does not prevent CCleaner from deleting cookies, but only restores "protected" cookies after they had been deleted.
ccleaner-cookies-option.jpg

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-19, 11:23

riiis wrote:CookieKeeper also protects cookies and is compatible with Pale Moon. CookieKeeper appears to keep protected cookies in its "cookiekeeper.json" file.

If you use CCleaner to delete unwanted cookies, be sure to protect cookies you want to keep, in CCleaner itself, beforehand. AFAIK Biscuit does not prevent CCleaner from deleting cookies, but only restores "protected" cookies after they had been deleted.
Thanks riiis, I did try Cookiekeeper back when Biscuit failed in PM v26. At my age I just can't seem to remember how it worked out, not well I suspect since I uninstalled it.
Will give it a shot again. Biscuit is just an easier way to do this since it integrates with the native cookie manager just adds a protection checkmark next to the bookmarks.
You never really know it's there since you don't have to access a separate interface to use it.

Bill
Tommy Lasorda

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-25, 11:56

I can report that CookieKeeper is working well as a replacement. Couldn't find a way to import the saved cookies though but am well on the way to rebuilding the store.

Bill
Tommy Lasorda

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-25, 16:13

billmcct wrote:Couldn't find a way to import the saved cookies
My understanding was that you had all your cookies in PM27, or could use the Biscuit extension to restore them. If so, cookies should carry over from PM27 to PM28 just fine. However, if you started in PM28 with a fresh profile, and you still have your old profile or backup, you should be able to copy your cookies.sqlite file from your old user profile, to your new PM28 user profile. Before doing so, first backup your PM28 cookies.sqlite file and make sure that all versions of Pale Moon are closed.

AFAIK CookieKeeper does not protect cookies from manual or 3rd party deletion (such as deletion from CCleaner). Nor does CookieKeeper backup cookies. Nor does CookieKeeper restore cookies, including those cookies shown on the CookieKeeper protected list. Accordingly, you might want to install and use additional cookie management extension(s) to backup and restore cookies (such as Advanced Cookie Manager or Cookies Manager+). Note that "Advanced Cookie Manager" and "Cookies Manager+" both backup and restore cookies using text files of standard cookies format. Biscuit may have used this same text format. So perhaps, but not for certain, "Advanced Cookie Manager" or "Cookies Manager+" could be used to restore the Biscuit cookie file as well.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-25, 17:04

riiis, I did use Cookie Manager+ in my PM 27.9.4 portable and exported the cookie file but it only saved about 15 cookies out of 100+. Not sure how Biscuit works but I suspect Cookie Manager couldn't see the separate Biscuit cookies.sqlite file. I overwrote v27 when I installed v28 so I used the portable which used an identical profile as v27. This was the first thing I tried. I will see what Cookie Manager+ exports in v28 with the protected cookies from CoolieKeeper. If all goes well I will at least have a backup.

Bill
Tommy Lasorda

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-25, 17:21

Yes Cookie Manager+ did export all the 42 protected cookies so I'm good to go. Would be great if CookieKeeper had this function.
I have always had cCleaner set not to delete Firefox or Palemoon ( and yes it still shows Palemoon for me) cookies so shouldn't be a problem.
I also have Cobian Backup 11 set to auto backup all my browser and other program settings including appdata\roaming once a day.
Tommy Lasorda

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-25, 17:38

Set cCleaner to delete Palemoon cookies and all cookies were deleted including the protected ones. Reimported from the backup and they were all showing as protected again. Guess that will work for now.

Bill
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-25, 21:23

billmcct wrote:I can report that CookieKeeper is working well as a replacement. Couldn't find a way to import the saved cookies though
billmcct wrote:Yes Cookie Manager+ did export all the 42 protected cookies so I'm good to go. Would be great if CookieKeeper had this function.

Cookiekeeper does have that function.
Open "Show cookies" > click the hamburger menu in the upper R corner for a dropdown menu to export/import.
cookiekeeper-import-export-save.png

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-25, 22:39

coffeebreak wrote: Cookiekeeper does have that function.
Thank you, didn't think to look there. I think I'm getting senile in my old age.
Tommy Lasorda

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-25, 22:44

billmcct wrote:I think I'm getting senile in my old age.
Getting senile in your young age is a problem; otherwise it is simply expected behaviour.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2018-10-07, 08:43

Biscuit 2.5.2 is broken in PM v28.1.0 also :(
- the only place it appears is in "Troubleshooting Information" window as "Disabled"
- deleted "biscuit@nuko.org.xpi" ... in C:\Users\<owner>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\extensions\

And yet Biscuit works 100% perfectly in Fox ESR 52.2.0 (ie Classic Fox v54) ... the last classic Fox before Australis
:?: I wonder what has changed in PM recently that does not suit 2 year old Biscuit

------------
CCleaner
- I have dumped it and am about to very cautiously try BleachBit
I have never trusted any program to clean my Cookies, other than to use the Exclusions list and let PM wipe the remaining cookies history on Exit
Last edited by bawldiggle on 2018-10-07, 09:27, edited 2 times in total.
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)