"Yahoo Mail Hide ad Panel" . . . .

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

rbruce1314

"Yahoo Mail Hide ad Panel" . . . .

Unread post by rbruce1314 » 2018-06-16, 09:12

is a specified addon for Firefox. I cannot revive this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10157&p=98626&hili ... ock#p98626

because it is locked, but anyway that thread does not address the issue of a dedicated extension for the one purpose.

However I can still do it with Waterfox due to the more sophisticated Adblock Plus denied to us here on Pale Moon :thumbdown: :x

Is Pale Moon lacking in adapting this extension?? Yet another reason (getting a bit too many recently . . . ) for migrating to a different FF based browser (but NOT FF itself saints preserve us!!!).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "Yahoo Mail Hide ad Panel" . . . .

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-16, 09:31

So, you're upset because one specific extension to do one specific thing on one specific website -- that can also be achieved with other extensions on Pale Moon -- doesn't work? Upset enough to immediately try to paint Pale Moon black? :roll:

Please, by all means, go use Waterfox if it works better for you so you can avoid the ad on Yahoo's mail service that you're making use of for free.
  • Or use one of our compatible adblockers and add a hiding rule to it for the panel
  • Or use a different mail provider that doesn't display ads (you may have to pay for that one, because running a mail server isn't free...)
  • Or write your own extension for Pale Moon that does the same
  • Or simply ignore the ad panel when you use your free service
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-06-16, 10:48

Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel 2.60 works fine for me and has for two years:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rsion-2.60
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

rbruce1314

Unread post by rbruce1314 » 2018-06-16, 11:36

billmcct wrote:Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel 2.60 works fine for me and has for two years:

Thanks for that - I'll see if it works when I reboot in the morning.
Moonchild wrote:So, you're upset because one specific extension to do one specific thing on one specific website -- that can also be achieved with other extensions on Pale Moon -- doesn't work? Upset enough to immediately try to paint Pale Moon black? :roll:
NO NO No Moonchild! It's far worse than that - it's just that I don't complain/post unless I'm REALLY pigged off! I almost - very almost - quitted when you removed the "ask every time" option for cookies which I used on a nearly everyday basis when visiting new sites. It saved hours getting rid of the surplus junk - although SAS does a lot of that quite well.

In fact it was only familiarity with the PM layout that kept me here. That and the ONLY remaining redeeming feature IMO, which is the Tools/Preferences box not hogging the whole screen (and conversely [thank goodness!] being able to EXPAND the cookies, passwords boxes etc. to full screen!!!).

I persevered with PM because it offered the features (most of them old-fashioned I grant you - but I'm old :| :D ) I wanted. Now the very things I stayed for are all disappearing. Looks like it could be me too at this rate!! :|

Do you actually WANT me to Migrate to Waterfox?? Is that what you're really hinting at? If so, I'll get my coat and not bother you any more. :wave: If not, PLEASE try to understand the concerns of those forced into changes they are not happy with . . . . . my total number of posts shows I'm FAR from one of your perpetual whingers :silent: :( .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-16, 11:46

Personally, I can do without your "I get pissed off if I can't get exactly 100% what *I* want" attitude. So I won't grieve if you leave and go to Waterfox (where you won't get what you want either), but in the end it's your decision and yours alone.

All I ask is that you keep in mind that this browser serves many people with many different workflows, that extensions may or may not work if they are not written for Pale Moon specifically, and that as in any piece of software you don't control yourself because you're not writing it, you get what it comes with. Being on a hair trigger all the time isn't conducive to anything. Griping instead of asking isn't either. Threatening to leave in your initial post isn't motivating anyone, either.

Next time you're at an emotional high, remember that you're probably not being the most clear-headed and writing posts in that state isn't conducive to normal discussion. Calm down first, THEN post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-06-16, 14:03

"going to find another firefox fork.".best of luck in that endeavour because "other" alternatives will dwindle away .palemoon is really the only viable fork at the moment.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-06-16, 20:25

rbruce1314 wrote: I almost - very almost - quitted when you removed the "ask every time" option for cookies which I used on a nearly everyday basis when visiting new sites. It saved hours getting rid of the surplus junk - although SAS does a lot of that quite well.

In fact it was only familiarity with the PM layout that kept me here. That and the ONLY remaining redeeming feature IMO, which is the Tools/Preferences box not hogging the whole screen (and conversely [thank goodness!] being able to EXPAND the cookies, passwords boxes etc. to full screen!!!).
There is a lot less bother with defaulting to blocking cookies and making exceptions for those that are absolutely necessary. I also have an extension (Cookie Masters) that makes changing cookie settings for a particular site very convenient. You can also examine your cookies and cookie permission exceptions with it easily. I tried the "ask about cookies" once with Firefox, and it nearly drove me crazy.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-06-16, 20:27

Moonraker wrote:"going to find another firefox fork.".best of luck in that endeavour because "other" alternatives will dwindle away .palemoon is really the only viable fork at the moment.
What about SeaMonkey? Both it and Pale Moon have their weaknesses and strengths. Both still have nice interfaces, and both are still themable.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-06-16, 21:02

I have recently changed my nix distro to puppy linux and seamonkey is pre=installed but dont use it much.it seems a pain in the backside to update or even install anything in slacko.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

rbruce1314

Unread post by rbruce1314 » 2018-06-17, 05:25

billmcct wrote:Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel 2.60 works fine for me and has for two years:

Tried it. It worked. Thanks.

Oh, and Moonchild - it's exactly the opposite of what you make out. I'm not making a fuss because I can't get what I want - - - - I HAD ALL I WANTED from a browser in Pale Moon until a short while ago!! It was perfect - then you started taking things away. It probably is still perfect for a lot of people, but I feel robbed of some choices I previously had.

And yes, when all's said and done PM is still by far the least restrictive of what's available. When one SERIOUSLY looks at the options, TBH TINA to PM!!!! Keep up the good work.
Last edited by rbruce1314 on 2018-06-17, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-17, 06:37

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pale Moon isn't a static piece of software. Change is inevitable, including "taking things away" that no longer have a place in the current environment the browser is used in, or things that hinder progress and adaptation.

This is general use software. Extensions to shape it to your workflow are part of its design.
Keep in mind that 100% efficiency and 100% flexibility cannot coexist. It's always a matter of balance.