NoSquint Thread

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: NoSquint Thread

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-17, 18:22

Non-standard watch/unwatch removal. The extension will need to be updated.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2020-01-20, 14:46

Reported to author via github
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-01-26, 21:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-01-17, 18:22
Non-standard watch/unwatch removal. The extension will need to be updated.
Is it impossible to only remove it for web content?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-26, 21:41

That is essentially correct. While it is possible to have JS features that are chrome-level only it would STILL require a change to how the extension operates because those features have to be done in a different way.

The fact is, this is non-standard and NOT desirable. There is no excuse for someone NOT to fork an extension and fix it either properly or by using the polyfill. None. We have had an Add-ons Site since late 2014 when Pale Moon became FULLY... NOT Firefox.

I mean, we could ditch everything and become Firefox again if you want? Would you want that? No? The deal with it.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-01-28, 22:09

I'm trying out NoSquint for the very first time (version 2.2.2 running on PM 28.8.2) and immediately encountered a problem with the very most basic use:

On a site that insists on putting white text on a black background, I used NoSquint to specify text=black and background=white.

That worked for the headlines of articles, but the smaller text below the headlines remained white (on white, which makes it invisible).

Is NoSquint limited in some way to colorizing only certain text on a site?

Thanks for any help. I see great potential for this add-on. I just need to understand "the plan".

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-01-28, 23:20

It seems the developer has abandoned the extension...
https://github.com/EbonJaeger/nosquint/issues/11

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-01-28, 23:34

Well, I now see how that's likely.
NoSquint
By: Jason Tackaberry, EbonJaeger
Maybe one of them can confirm it ... and, if so, can remove the add-on from the Appearance section ... which would be too bad, because it's both simple and useful.

Thanks for pointing that out.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-29, 00:31

But those people are idiots.

Here is a fact. No extension anywhere any time can fault the application short of a crash situation or a directly demonstrated change that was wrong. PERIOD.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-29, 07:36

2020-01-29, 00:31
No extension anywhere any time can fault the application short of a crash situation or a directly demonstrated change that was wrong. PERIOD.
^This. So much this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-01-29, 16:28

OK ... I see your points ... sort of.

But can you answer this: how does an add-on make it onto the official page if it's not worth adding?

My main point is that NoSquint has been around for a while. It's only now that I've tried it. I never suspected that it wasn't worthwhile.
Howso.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-01-29, 16:37

context wrote:
2020-01-29, 16:28
But can you answer this: how does an add-on make it onto the official page if it's not worth adding?
Take note of the update date.

Updated on July 10, 2018

Was it working on this date? Probably. Have there been changes to Pale Moon to warrant any further update since then? Most likely.

If it's deemed completely unusable, I'd be happy to remove it. Someone else can fork it (again) and update it. Or the developer could re-appear and fix it, and it can be set live again.

As someone who doesn't actively use this add-on, tell me: is it working at all? Or is it only not working for your specific use case?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-29, 17:30

If the developer has abandoned it as is assumed then try and see if they will transfer the ownership of the extension, branding, and ID to someone else. I can go into the database of Phoebus and reassign the extension to another user in that case.

Else, you will have to come up with your own name and id for a fork.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-01-29, 17:44

I've been using NoSquint since 2.1.9 and that has been for many years now because I have very poor eyesight. I'm now using version (2.2.2). I use NoSquint for the 5% increments in the Full Zoom Level. I don't use the Text Zoom Level because I have no need for this feature.

When it comes to Text and Background, I don't have Text enabled, I don't have Background enabled and I don't have Disable Background Images enabled either. As for Link Colors, I don't have Unvisited enabled, I don't have Visited enabled and I don't have Always Underline Links enabled.

If you ask why, it is because I don't use these features in NoSquint.

As for the Global Settings, under the General tab, I have Per-site settings (color and zoom) enabled for Remember settings between Pale Moon restarts which equates to Forget settings for sites not visited in the last 6 months is enabled with a check mark and I also have Erase NoSquint site histrory when Pale Moon clears private data enabled with a check mark.

I don't have Forget all per site settings when Pale Moon closes enabled, not checked. In the Zooming tab and the Colors tab, I use the default settings.

Like I said above, I have been using NoSquint for many years and since I only use two extensions/addons and NoSquint is one of my two extensions/addons. If something is not working correctly for others in NoSquint, lets not go in the direction of, "lets throw out the baby with the bath water" syndrome.

If there is a vote, then I'm voting with an emphatic "NO" when it comes to removing NoSquint for Pale Moon because it is "not" completely unuseable. And my vote is carved in granite.

For those on here who are complaining about NoSquint which seem to be new users on this site, then there are three choices for you and they are (in my opinion):

1) Don't use NoSquint
2) Fix it yourself if you know how to
3) Find an alternative extension/addon
Last edited by Night Wing on 2020-01-29, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by josephd » 2020-01-29, 17:58

Lootyhoof wrote:
2020-01-29, 16:37

If it's deemed completely unusable, I'd be happy to remove it.
Leave it be. I use this for text only. Do not fool with the other options. Works fine.

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2020-01-29, 18:16

Lootyhoof wrote:
2020-01-29, 16:37
If it's deemed completely unusable, I'd be happy to remove it.
Far from unusable.
NoSquint main function is zoom (whole page, text only, granular increments...) and that works fine.
It also has a priceless option (under global settings/exceptions) where you can add subdomains of a site (for ex. forum.palemoon.org) and so zoom only the comments/forum pages which sometimes have a much smaller font.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-29, 18:19

I should note, it is actually not possible for the Add-ons Team or anyone ranked lower to remove an Add-on from the Add-ons Site. What Ryan meant was deactivation. This is a specific design choice for the Phoebus software to reduce to eliminate pointless of-the-moment destruction by those who might ragequit or if Ryan decided to push up his plans for world domination starting with bombing the Add-ons Site or something.

Even I or Moonchild can't do that through the software.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-01-29, 18:27

It works fine here as always, even on v29.0.0.a2. I can only remember an old bug about disabling the controls from HTML5 audio/video players on certain websites, but it's an unlikely issue anyway.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-01-29, 21:25

2020-01-29, 18:19
What Ryan meant was deactivation.
Removing from view was the intended effect, which is the same thing I suppose. :P But yes, I can't actually *delete* things from the Add-ons Site, merely prevent access, which can be subsequently restored at any point in future if required.

In any case though, it seems like rumours of this add-on's death were greatly exaggerated. ;) Thanks for confirming all the same, though, those that have done. I'd only deactivate an add-on if it really was entirely non-functional within the application range stated in the extension, which it seems this isn't.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2020-01-30, 01:28

If there's an add-on that works as well as or better than NoSquint, I've never found it. NoSquint is indispensable to me.

Recently, I trialed ZoomPage v15.8, with the intention of possibly replacing NoSquint with it. ZoomPage was a disaster for me. Context menu items were disappearing for me. My homepage .jpg images always displayed at maximum size. I could never set a default size for them that stuck after restarts. Who knows what other problems might have cropped up with ZoomPage... I didn't keep it long enough to find out. After reverting back to NoSquint, all those problems disappeared.

The very rare missing video controls with NoSquint is a minuscule problem (for me)... all things considered.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2020-02-10, 18:44

I can't seem to tame NoSquint. Can anyone point me toward a way, with NoSquint or some other solution, maybe even a Stylem theme, to set default zoom level on a per domain, per url, or per url-regex basis that doesn't do anything else? I don't want something that opens the page next time with whatever zoom level I had last. I want it to open at whatever level I explicitly set, period. I don't want something that interferes with zoom control once the page is open.