Pale Moon profile backup tool Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

laozi

Pale Moon profile backup tool

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-14, 05:08

hello,
I just used "Pale Moon profile backup tool" and I notice that the "extensions" folder is not saved !
I performed:
-a backup with Pale Moon profile backup tool
-installed an extension (secret agent)
-restored profile with Pale Moon profile backup tool
the secret agent extension is still present ! :o
is it normal ?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon profile backup tool

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-05-14, 06:58

Man, I haven't used that too in a long time, almost forgot it still existed.

I would recommend FEBE: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/febe/, which "backs up your extensions, themes, bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Pale Moon offers (it can even backup/restore your entire profile)."
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-14, 08:52

Thanks for the info, but FEBE is a real "gas factory" !
I prefer something much simpler, the "Pale Moon profile backup tool " utility would be perfect if it backed up all the files and folders in the profile directory :thumbup:
perhaps a modification by @Moonchild ;)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-14, 13:15

laozi wrote:is it normal ?
I guess backup feature may be working properly. It should be the restore which has the "issue". The issue being that restore feature does not completely remove your profile folder first, it just extracts the backup file inside your profile. So, if there are extensions' file present in your profile, they will remain.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-05-14, 14:35

I generally use the Pale Moon Profile Backup program, but I have also used Hekasoft Backup and Restore as an extra ace in the hole, especially if I am doing a lot fiddling around with my setup. Perhaps you might want to check it out.

Code: Select all

http://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-14, 15:11

a big thank you for these clarifications and advices. I keep my personal safeguard :
manually copy the "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\9xxxxx.default" folder on an external support
Last edited by laozi on 2018-05-14, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-14, 17:22

in the end, this utility is not optimized for a real backup, too bad and very disappointed :(

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-05-14, 18:02

Another simple solution would be to manually delete all files / folders in your profile folder BEFORE restoring with the backup tool. That's just one extra step.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-05-15, 04:37

I've used the Pale Moon backup tool many times with new Windows installs. It works great to transfer your profile over to the new computer. I never tried rewritting over a profile before though. Really have no use for that.

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-15, 11:01

I regularly test with extensions that I do not keep, also a restoration of my profile before adding these extensions is for me essential, I absolutely want to find my old profile.
perhaps this utility is operational to transfer profiles between computers but it is not the object of my post ;)
by removing the extensions, unfortunately there are still "slags" in the profile...
I did, however, accept @Trapper 852's proposal
Last edited by laozi on 2018-05-15, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-16, 11:51

laozi wrote:in the end, this utility is not optimized for a real backup, too bad and very disappointed :(
Don't be disappointed. :)

Now, read this:
https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml wrote:It is a simple tool and doesn't have much in terms of advanced features, but should give you a quick and easy way to create backups of your Pale Moon data and customizations.
https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml wrote:It was put together mainly for people who have standard installations and/or who do not have enough knowledge of the Windows O.S. and filesystem to manually backup the profiles. It is not meant to be very versatile or flexible, but "gets the job done" in most cases.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-16, 17:13

laozi wrote:I regularly test with extensions that I do not keep

You can set up a new, testing profile just for that.

And if you want to test something in your everyday profile environment, just copy the files over from your "normal" profile to the "test" profile to recreate that environment.

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-16, 17:17

thanks to you for these details and good advice,
I do not know the actions of the program but would it not be possible during the restoration, first to completely delete the existing profile then install the backup,
Is it possible to modify the program ?
Last edited by laozi on 2018-05-16, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.