Want to talk about NoScript? Post here. Topic is solved

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Re: Want to talk about NoScript? Post here.

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-02, 00:12

Do NOT listen to him.
- This program cannot be run in DOS mode. -
https://binaryoutcast.com/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Nightbird » 2020-01-02, 00:14

His choice.
Diversity is key.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-01-02, 00:47

Nightbird wrote:
2020-01-02, 00:08
For experienced users only.
I'd use a different term than "experienced users" there. And no, it wouldn't be a particularly flattering term.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-01-02, 02:24

Also reminder that by insisting on using NoScript when there's equivalent functionality by eMatrix available, you forfeit any support from the developers. It has been highlighted multiple times, even on this mega thread - that NoScript breaks the browser in unpredictable ways and it is impossible to debug problems once a profile has been affected by it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

Drugwash
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by Drugwash » 2020-01-23, 09:44

Moonchild wrote:
2020-01-01, 21:02
Sorry, no, the warning is there and will remain there [...] As you say, it's merely cosmetic [...]
I'm so sorry if you think cosmetics are unimportant for the daily usage of a computer. But that's a completely different subject.
Nightbird wrote:
2020-01-02, 00:08
You will get no warning if you disable the add-on security level.
Thank you very much for actually trying to help.
That setting was (and remained) on Low.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-01-02, 00:12
Do NOT listen to him.
Oh Matt, I'm a good listener, you know, but ultimately I only do what I want after pondering the choices. Which here have been mostly "don't do that".
I don't like being told what to do and what not to, more so on an imperative tone - when one asks for an advice it's polite to offer a useful one if possible.
moonbat wrote:
2020-01-02, 02:24
there's equivalent functionality by eMatrix available
In time I've tried many so-called replacements but my mind just can't accept their convoluted settings and weird appearance, so I decided to stick to what I've known for years. It is my choice (as Nightbird kindly pointed out above). If some site won't work I know better than come crying to the boards.

But the issue here was merely the display of a warning that has already been acknowledged, regardless of which add-on triggered it.
And somehow it got fixed, maybe through another cosmetic add-on, so I'm now happy and trouble-free.

Thank you all for your time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-01-23, 11:21

Drugwash wrote:
2020-01-23, 09:44
I'm so sorry if you think cosmetics are unimportant for the daily usage of a computer.
Completely besides the point and the displayed warning has a clear purpose, so even if it's merely cosmetic is must remain there.
What I'm saying with the "it's only cosmetic" remark is that it doesn't impact anything but the display of the item, so don't make such a fuss over it.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

Drugwash
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by Drugwash » 2020-01-23, 12:13

:silent:

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-01-23, 12:44

Drugwash wrote:
2020-01-23, 09:44
In time I've tried many so-called replacements but my mind just can't accept their convoluted settings and weird appearance
It's actually quite straightforward - the panel shows all 1st and 3rd party hosts referenced on the given page, and the count of items from them under each category (cookies,css,image,script,XHR,frames,other) - and by default nothing is allowed just like in NoScript. You can configure individual permissions per site, or globally, and at a glance the panel shows you how many items of each category are coming from each host and whether they're allowed or blocked based on red or green.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.