Want to talk about NoScript? Post here. Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

55trucker
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Want to talk about NoScript? Post here.

Unread post by 55trucker » 2018-05-13, 15:22

Does anyone know with which version update the issues began?

here's the changelog for noscript......

https://noscript.net/changelog#5.0.6

55trucker
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 55trucker » 2018-05-13, 15:24

Isengrim wrote:
55trucker wrote:Does this in any way relate to the new Firefox Quantum release & the version 10 Noscript?
My Pale Moon version is 27.9, the Noscript version is 5.0.6, is there a version 10 that is compatible with Pale Moon?
No. NoScript 10 is a WebExtension add-on, which Pale Moon does not support.
I see,

I also have Quantum as well, but Pale Moon is my default.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2018-05-13, 21:19

55trucker wrote:Does anyone know with which version update the issues began?
I use 5.1.8.5 and have no issues. There are no issues.

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Why is my topic closed??

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2018-05-13, 22:49

Moonchild wrote:What about the less vocal part of the users who see problems in Pale Moon with NoScript that they don't see in Firefox? Would they stay?...
No and IMHO they shouldn't!
So you try to "fix" a problem that exists in Palemoon but not in Firefox by disabling (or suggesting to) the add-on that triggers it... OK. Looks like doctoring the symptom instead of the disease to me but why not. Now, with said add-on disabled, the browser is fine, web sites don't break anymore, miner scripts are running as intended and advertising is fancily delivered by 3rd party scripts and whatever I forgot to mention that NoScript is supposed to prevent. IMHO that's worse.

Alternatives? uMatrix was mentioned but can someone guide me to get it to work like NoScript? I already have uBo but seem unable to find how to tell it to block scripts specifically. Besides, I just got told that cookies from adtidy.org got removed - but I have custom filters for adtidy.org and adtidy.* in uBo, so how come there can be cookies to delete? It seems to not work in all cases as it should.

nema32 wrote:I find myself now thinking about alternative browsers. Not because NoScript got a level 1 blocklist, it would take actual disabling and a lot more of it before I gave up a browser I'm basically happy with.

No, the problem is the reaction to legitimate criticism. It raises all kinds of red flags when you have to dig through several threads to discover the reason is the devs don't want to support the extension. Couple that with a lack of empathy toward users who have legitimate concerns about an extension they find essential. All they want is transparency and a basic understanding of their point of view. The reaction of the devs here, in my experience, is a red flag that things are not going to improve, but rather, get worse.

Will I switch right away? Of course not. It took years of similar behavior from Mozilla before I actually switched. The only difference is I am learned enough now to already be preparing.
Full quote because My Thoughts Exactly.

sponge_bob_128 wrote:I had a post deleted (not just locked) that merely noted that you could mistakenly think that the NoScript Warning Popup was never ending if you had multiple profiles and got confused (there were other guys who posted that it kept popping up).
I observed it popping up two days in a row and I did not switch profiles during that, but I have 5 different profiles. Is it expected to pop up once per profile (would make sense) or just... idk... 2 times if I have several profiles? Or more times?
sponge_bob_128 wrote:So basically, if you see it again you are in another profile (another account(sandbox)/Machine/Virtual Machine/VNC,etc).
For sure I wasn't. Anyway, if it's done with two times or maybe 2 times per profile, then I can live with that. But I couldn't live with this nag screen popping up every day, as it seemed at first.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-05-13, 23:02

tlaloc77 wrote:
I already have uBo but seem unable to find how to tell it to block scripts specifically.
This is what it should look like. To first get this bigger dialog box, you have to tick "I am an advanced user" in the dashboard, Settings tab.
Untitled.jpg

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-05-13, 23:12

Skaendo wrote:
I use 5.1.8.5 and have no issues. There are no issues.
I use NoScript 5.1.8.5 with "normal" PaleMoon and the portable version as well as with Basilisk. I do this on six computers. I haven't seen a single popup or warning yet either, and - fortunately - everything seems to be working fine.

On a different but (sort of) related point, has anyone tried this?
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/block-content/

There's a tiny bit of discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=18675&p=137571&hil ... 63#p137989

From what I'm able to see from the screenshots, in regard to javascript, it seems to be simply on/off.

Thank you.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2018-05-13, 23:14

Thank you, helloimustbegoing!

Reading documentation.........

Also
JoeyG wrote:On a different but (sort of) related point, has anyone tried this?
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/block-content/
Thank you, installed, checking how good it is follows......
Last edited by tlaloc77 on 2018-05-13, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-05-13, 23:18

tlaloc77 wrote:
Thank you, helloimustbegoing!
You're welcome. This might also help some (video tutorial). Disclaimer: he drops the f-bomb once (I mention it in case things like that bother you).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lisQQmWQkY
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-05-13, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Why is my topic closed??

Unread post by doofy » 2018-05-13, 23:27

tlaloc77 wrote: Alternatives? uMatrix was mentioned but can someone guide me to get it to work like NoScript?
Depends, of course, what you want.

The obvious thing for starters is this: In uM for this site - click on the uM icon, then click on the blue URL box.

This will bring up a box showing palemoon.org, forum.palemoon.org and *.

Any rule you want applied globally, select *.

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2018-05-13, 23:59

Thanks again, helloimustbegoing!

(I can stand F-bombs, unless they appear several times per sentence :D, but thanks for the warning :))

Also thank you, doofy, I need to reinstall uMatrix, it got removed when I couldn't figure out how to make use of it.
doofy wrote:The obvious thing for starters is this: In uM for this site - click on the uM icon, then click on the blue URL box.

This will bring up a box showing palemoon.org, forum.palemoon.org and *.

Any rule you want applied globally, select *.
I'll have another look into this, hope I can make it so that it blocks all scripts by default and lets me unblock 1st party and 3rd party scripts selectively and independently.

Anyway, I'm off for the night and for work, I may be back in about 18 hours. Hope the posts don't get deleted until then.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-14, 00:22

tlaloc77 wrote:...I need to reinstall uMatrix, it got removed when I couldn't figure out how to make use of it.

There's really excellent documentation on the uMatrix wiki.
And just fyi, the last xul release is here (uMatrix.firefox.xpi).
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-14, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-14, 01:48

helloimustbegoing wrote:I had just stopped using NoScript two or three days before. About two weeks ago, I started having problems accessing my email account. ...every time I tried to log in I'd get an error message. The only way I was able to view my email was to globally disable NoScript. Not even allowing all scripts fixed the problem. [...]

What I'm doing now is using uBlock Origin to block all 3rd party scripts and frames. This still borks my email, but at least with uBo I can disable it (uBo) for this site only, and it works. Blocking only 3rd party scripts is good enough for me.

You don't need to disable uBO, unless that's actually your preference.

With uBO you can, in effect, allow scripts from specified domains to run only on the domains where you want them.
Meaning that you can block third-party scripts/frames globally, but make an exception to the global rules so that scripts from example.com will still run on somewhere.net (but nowhere else).

There is extremely helpful documentation about this on the wiki: Dynamic filtering and Dynamic filtering: quick guide
(It even has a link to the video you mentioned earlier ;))

BTW, With which email provider do you have these problems?
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-14, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-05-14, 01:58

tlaloc77 wrote:I'll have another look into this, hope I can make it so that it blocks all scripts by default and lets me unblock 1st party and 3rd party scripts selectively and independently.
Easy. On any site, click the URL box, select *, click to turn "all" and "1st-party" red, click the padlock. Job done.

Unbreaking is as easy - click the blue power button, refresh, done.

For selectively unblocking, simply turn any option you want green, refresh. Job done.

Any option you want to persist, make sure to hit the padlock or they won't survive a browser restart. Any non-padlocked option you want to revert, hit the eraser button.

uMatrix is much much more manageable and configurable than NoScript. I used NS for about 5 years and always hated it cos it would never behave. After a week with uM I dumped NS and have never looked back.

NS absolutely hates giving up its settings. It might take 3 goes of "temporarily allow", refresh, and still the page is borked. And you can simply feel that uM uses less resources.

Here, I allow all first party and block all 3rd party JS by default. And globally block all google, facebook, twitter. It might be possible to achieve that without effort with NS, but I never found the way. And enabling google for YT or Hooktube is just a click or two, as is briefly enabling it for a recaptcha.

I read reddit a lot, and there I use uM's cookie function to allow the login cookie and block all the other crap cookies. Can't do that in any cookie manager I've tried. And for at least one site I use uM's xhr function.

Obv, software choices are incredibly subjective, and are conditioned also by historic and emotional weightings but, for myself, I simply cannot understand why anyone who has put a week's work into uM would ever want to stick with NS.

Artemis3

Unread post by Artemis3 » 2018-05-14, 04:45

here's the changelog for noscript......
https://noscript.net/changelog#5.0.6
There are no (new) issues. Noscript is still working the same as always, unfortunately:
  1. Some people where blaming Palemoon for misusing it
  2. Dev put it into level 1 (warning) blacklist, which misleads about "security or stability" issues.
Instead of writing it in a FAQ: "We do not support any third party add-ons (ie. NoScript)" and call it a day.

You can ignore this warning (by choosing NOT to disable Noscript) or turn off the blacklist altogether.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-05-14, 10:11

doofy wrote:I simply cannot understand why anyone who has put a week's work into uM would ever want to stick with NS.
I used NoScript for almost ten years until I learned about uMatrix. Same reaction as you: Once I figured it out, I ditched NoScript because uMatrix was just so much easier to configure and so much less frustrating to use.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-05-14, 12:33

coffeebreak wrote:
You don't need to disable uBO, unless that's actually your preference.
No it's not my preference. I went back just now and figured out how to get it working. I have to change the color to gray in the third column under 3rd-party scripts and 3rd-party frames. I guess this is better since it is at least still blocking some scripts. Unfortunately I get a lot things blinking on and off in my inbox when I first load a message, and if I move the cursor around a lot.
BTW, With which email provider do you have these problems?
Microsoft Live
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-05-14, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-14, 15:38

If it pleases the jury (since it seems several individuals in this thread treat this whole thing as a court case, nit-picking over generic headers and wording that wasn't even created by this team of developers, but overstated by Mozilla, instead), it should be known that softblock (warning level) wording will be changed so as to not step on some people's toes with what is apparently trigger words for overreactions, like "security" and singular-interpretation of the term "stability"*.

For the record: There are two different strings, one for hard-blocked extensions, one for softblocked extensions. This was by design at Mozilla to avoid exactly this kind of oversensitive response. But, someone at Mozilla decided to make both equal, meaning the soft-blocked statement has too much of a tone of urgency/severity to it.

So, people, what are we, in essence, talking about, at this point? Misinterpretations of generic messages in the add-on manager? :eh:

*) instability comprises not only crashes, but also interop issues, unexpected behavior and impaired functionality, among other things, i.e. everything that makes the software not work as it should.
-- e.g. an "unstable channel" of software doesn't equal "crashes all the time". It can, but unstable means more than just that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tlaloc77
Moon lover
Moon lover

Stability issues, with NoScript or the like?

Unread post by tlaloc77 » 2018-05-14, 18:05

coffeebreak wrote:...
With uBO you can, in effect, allow scripts from specified domains to run only on the domains where you want them.
Meaning that you can block third-party scripts/frames globally, but make an exception to the global rules so that scripts from example.com will still run on somewhere.net (but nowhere else).

There is extremely helpful documentation about this on the wiki: Dynamic filtering and Dynamic filtering: quick guide
(It even has a link to the video you mentioned earlier ;))
Wow - THAT's useful! :D

doofy wrote:
tlaloc77 wrote:I'll have another look into this, hope I can make it so that it blocks all scripts by default and lets me unblock 1st party and 3rd party scripts selectively and independently.
Easy.

Here, I allow all first party and block all 3rd party JS by default. And globally block all google, facebook, twitter. It might be possible to achieve that without effort with NS, but I never found the way. And enabling google for YT or Hooktube is just a click or two, as is briefly enabling it for a recaptcha.

I read reddit a lot, and there I use uM's cookie function to allow the login cookie and block all the other crap cookies. Can't do that in any cookie manager I've tried. And for at least one site I use uM's xhr function.
Exactly what I want, many thanks. (On Reddit I relied on auto-deleting cookies once the tab gets closed, so everybody can track me for half an hour, then I vanish. But this could be much better.)

Moonchild wrote:...
For the record: There are two different strings, one for hard-blocked extensions, one for softblocked extensions. This was by design at Mozilla to avoid exactly this kind of oversensitive response. But, someone at Mozilla decided to make both equal, meaning the soft-blocked statement has too much of a tone of urgency/severity to it.
Many thanks for this explanation!
Moonchild wrote:So, people, what are we, in essence, talking about, at this point? Misinterpretations of generic messages in the add-on manager? :eh:
Yeah well, some of us read said messages :P :) It's good to know that they don't contain reliable information but just generally discouraging words one should take with a pinch of salt.
Moonchild wrote:*) instability comprises not only crashes, but also interop issues, unexpected behavior and impaired functionality, among other things, i.e. everything that makes the software not work as it should.
-- e.g. an "unstable channel" of software doesn't equal "crashes all the time". It can, but unstable means more than just that.
I'd still like to know what kind of instabilities were/are caused by NoScript, but now that I got some pointers to how to do similar or better things with uBo & uM, I want to try that.

But meanwhile I have another issue: I installed "Block Content" and "commented setting" and tweaked some settings of uBo yesterday. Today morning I noticed that certain scripts of a local server didn't run anymore, so I disabled the two things I installed yesterday, then uBo and finally NoScript (who's configuration I didn't touch at all yesterday). The scripts still won't run. So until I figure out what went wrong, I can't use Palemoon for work things anymore. The most likely culprit is uBo after I fiddled with it's configuration, but disabling it didn't help, so idk. (I haven't yet tried the add-on-free profile, that's the next step.)

'nother edit: The scripts run with the add-on-free profile, so Palemoon itself isn't broken. Phew :D

'nother edit: But the default profile appears to be permanently borked, even with most add-ons removed (the rest are: Compact Moon Options, Cookies Exterminator, FEBE, Pale Moon Commander and Tab Mix Plus), the specific scripts won't run anymore. Time to make a new one...

Last edit: Removed some typos.
Last edited by tlaloc77 on 2018-05-14, 18:56, edited 5 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Stability issues, with NoScript or the like?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-14, 18:14

tlaloc77 wrote:I'd still like to know what kind of instabilities were/are caused by NoScript,
Believe it or not, that is one of the main issues I had with Noscript. Even after uninstalling it.

Not saying that's your issue, but it happened many times for me and I finally got so tired of trying to
figure out why a page would not load that I simply quit using it and went to UBO.
After having to start a new profile aarg. :thumbdown:

Never looked back. I tried UMatrix at that time and it seemed so complicated. I will have to
look at those links and try it again. ;)

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Stability issues, with NoScript or the like?

Unread post by doofy » 2018-05-14, 18:40

tlaloc77 wrote:Exactly what I want, many thanks. (On Reddit I relied on auto-deleting cookies once the tab gets closed, so everybody can track me for half an hour, then I vanish. But this could be much better.)
Reddit dumps more than 20 cookies on you. uM recognises them as

Code: Select all

reddit.com and www.reddit.com

Code: Select all

www.reddit.com
is the log in.

My understanding of uM's cookie block behaviour is that it allows a cookie to be set, but then doesn't allow it to communicate.