Want to talk about NoScript? Post here. Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Want to talk about NoScript? Post here.

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-19, 12:11

Moonchild wrote:Only the ones who decide to take offense to the truth. :twisted:
Well, I understand your feelings, but I think it was a little too much.

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2018-05-19, 12:39

I should really not comment. But at my old age, I look back and never held back on comments in regards to bs.

If you are not happy regarding something,especially in dealing with software. You have two choices: #1 - state the issue, offer a possible solution (if you have one) or accept the owners decision. #2 - move on to something that will please you more.

Really time for this bs to end! :crazy: :silent:
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-05-19, 13:29

Changes/fixes:

... so people will cry less when we do our job.
That doesn't help to undertand the problem.

Please, it would be useful to keep a tone more neutral and professional.
Only the ones who decide to take offense to the truth
This is just my opinion but i'm sharing it.

This is unnecessarily provocative.

Maybe now it's time to concentrate and to find the level in order to avoid such situations in the future.

PM doesn't need a new "NS crisis".
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Alt+F4

Unread post by Alt+F4 » 2018-05-19, 19:07

Moonchild wrote:
Skaendo wrote:So now you are just outright insulting your users?
Only the ones who decide to take offense to the truth. :twisted:
It's a changelog for God's sake, no one should feel offended after reading it. It's not funny, you are embarrassing yourself Moonchild. Please stop.
Last edited by Alt+F4 on 2018-05-19, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

crono

Unread post by crono » 2018-05-22, 15:55

I actually find this whole topic, hoo-ha, and the changelog entry, over such a minor thing (at least to me from a technical perspective) rather humerous :) Humour in changelogs is always nice, especially for non-corporate open-source software of this nature.

Finally given me a reason to remove NoScript, I had installed uMatrix to evaluate as a replacement many years ago due to it being so much more flexible, and had NoScript running in Allow-all-globally-by-default mode so it wasn't actually doing much except consume resources. Just been too lazy to actually remove it since things "just worked" for me sufficiently that way.

Avarice

Unread post by Avarice » 2018-05-25, 09:10

As a person who did not understand some of the problems with noscript this whole trip was enlightening. I found how quick the palemoon team seemed to get irritated unprofessional... but you get what you pay for, and I have no idea how long they may have been fielding PMs from irate "customers". many say pale-moon is bad, slow and unresponsive and has security flaws because it lags behind its updates, I found this out after I accidentally hit the space bar when I turned my browser on(I'm assuming that's why noscript was killed), found out when my browser could barely function that my no-script was disabled. So I got it working again and went about my business. than I read the patch notes

"We changed the language strings for softblocked items so people will cry less when we do our job."

I get you were irritated. I get you were blowing off steam. I wont lie my first thought was "well F you than" when I read it. It irritated me enough I made an account to say. "Come on I know its for free but show some professionalism It may be important in your future how you handled this kind of situation."of course many may love how you handled it, its one of the reasons many people love Trump. Ill have to spend some time examining Brave browser, All I want is to only run the scripts I want in a easy and concise way. I don't need 80 scripts just to do a quick search online. Perhaps that umatrix or whatever works as an alternative. All I know is, browsers are complex and irritating, things ran faster on my dial up while I was downloading an oddballz pet. Sure the pages load faster now but when your computer freezes it may take just as long.

You are working on a open-source project and I'm getting it for free, keep up the great work!

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-05-25, 19:40

(looking at the whole changelog line ranting) 'cmon, people, what is wrong with you?! since when humanity started to loosing ability to get harmless (yet maybe somewhat edgy) jokes? pale moon devs showed alot of respect to users and their opinions. it is not hard to find many examples. and then they made a joke which refers to the old running gag "programmers haet users, and vice versa" -- and you immideately got blown. take off your crowns, people! nobody wanted to insult you, neither personally, nor as a community. please, before overreacting, just remember (or do some research if you're new here) how often pale moon devs are ignored and/or insulted their users. or just look at this case alone: devs wrote a large and detailed explanation of what they did, and why, and how to deal with the change. is it that hard to assume good intentions there, and don't look for insults in harmless jokes? that joke may not be the best joke in the world, but it is not the worst too. just a bit of "programmer humor". it is not about "you got it for free, so shut up", no. just remember that devs are people too, and they have a great record of working with users and for users. simply assume good intentions, and don't get upset so easily. please.

Skaendo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Skaendo » 2018-06-01, 03:11

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you. Since this latest fiasco with NoScript it made me go and find a different browser. The only reason that I used Pale Moon was because it didn't come with all the bloat of Firefox (pocket and the like) and it was faster than Firefox. Well now I am using Waterfox and I must say that it is twice as fast as Pale Moon (probably due to using multiple cores of my CPU), NoScript doesn't give me a warning and Waterfox doesn't try to disable it. I will soon be able to use the latest WebExt add-ons and at the same time be able to use legacy XUL add-ons if I wish. Have fun stuck in the past. :thumbup:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-06-01, 04:53

Skaendo wrote:I just wanted to stop by and say thank you. Since this latest fiasco with NoScript it made me go and find a different browser. The only reason that I used Pale Moon was because it didn't come with all the bloat of Firefox (pocket and the like) and it was faster than Firefox. Well now I am using Waterfox and I must say that it is twice as fast as Pale Moon (probably due to using multiple cores of my CPU), NoScript doesn't give me a warning and Waterfox doesn't try to disable it. I will soon be able to use the latest WebExt add-ons and at the same time be able to use legacy XUL add-ons if I wish. Have fun stuck in the past. :thumbup:
Buh bye! :mrgreen:
https://hooktube.com/watch?v=toFm4CkDaUE

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-06-03, 04:58

Folks, do you think uMatrix could replace NoScript completely?

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-06-03, 05:05

it did for me.
Last edited by ketmar on 2018-06-03, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-06-03, 08:09

mm i guess it's about time i learn to use umatrix so i can ditch noscript.. last time i tried umatrix it was a convoluted mess and i'm by no means tech illiterate, whereas noscript otoh has been a great companion for the past 7-8 years.

EDIT: it seems like getting umatrix to run to PM isn't without its fair share of headache.. you gotta build the .xpi from source and apply a patch to it, and newer versions have an interface bug that makes it unacceptable for usage: viewtopic.php?p=136159#p137689
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-06-03, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-06-03, 16:37

Latitude wrote:Folks, do you think uMatrix could replace NoScript completely?
uBlock Origin in advanced mode has worked for me. It took some time to get it set up for the sites I visit a lot, but after that, I rarely mess with it. I block all scripts on sites I don't visit a lot and most sites I visit, work without having to allow scripts.
Last edited by LAR Grizzly on 2018-06-03, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

sqelch7

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2018-06-03, 21:15

I run PM 27.9 and FF ESR 52 I've locked out all updates on both. I also use IE11 on a couple of sites that malfunction on anything by the weird mutant MS version of HTML. I mostly use browser extensions for security. Several tracking and cookie erasing extensions have been disabled by PM. Now NS is also "blocklisted". I may return to BRAVE BROWSER for its total anonymity despite the weird inexplicable payment system. NoScript does exactly what i want it to - no more no less. Curiously the security anti-tracking extensions that I have chosen and were blocked by PM are the very ones most likely involved in data-mining personal info markets. See where this is going? By damaging end users ability to defend against tracking, our suspicions will naturally arise. Frankly if you are hard-up for cash, I'd rather pay an annual update fee than help enable the marketeering of persistent ID info and invasive advert tracking. I don't know what you are trying to achieve here with these contradictory claims that you are helping the end user by reducing security. You really can't help unskilled, careless or foolish people much, regardless of UI and feature design. Why not just give us a browser for grown-ups? I'll pay you a modest annual sub fee. I pay for a internet service. I pay for a VPN. I pay for imaging systems. I'll pay for a safe browser. Stop insulting us with these strange excuses for conforming to the exigencies of loathsome advert slugs.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-03, 22:52

Firstly, IE11 is 5 years old. Yet I find that IE11 still works perfectly on sites that are professionally built. But I don't use IE11 for the same reason that impels me to use PM, and that is support for NPAPI, Java and Flash.

I see that the Brave browser is based on Chromium which suggests that they might be using CEF. Either way, it is based on the same mindmelt as Chrome... a resource that I am dumping in our next browser build because I need to build a "secure" browser.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-06-05, 22:35

fillerup wrote:
EDIT: it seems like getting umatrix to run to PM isn't without its fair share of headache.. you gotta build the .xpi from source and apply a patch to it, and newer versions have an interface bug that makes it unacceptable for usage: viewtopic.php?p=136159#p137689
uMatrix 1.1.4 runs perfectly in PM without any fuss.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-06-05, 22:56

doofy wrote:uMatrix 1.1.4 runs perfectly in PM without any fuss.
Here's the direct link:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... legacy.xpi
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

wavymoon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wavymoon » 2018-06-08, 16:13

Whilst reading this forum I found there is a newer NoScript that is reputed to be compatible with PM. I do not recall what version I was on at the time. I installed the new 5.1.8.5 NS and found I was missing my search and location bars both on my menu bar. The options were no longer available in the customize menu except in Safe Mode (I am using the toolbar buttons extension B TW) After a bit of fiddling and finding the customize and and Menu Bar were inoperable after any foray into the customize menu I decided to do the latest PM update with no change in results. Disabling NoScript brings my Search and Location boxes back.
I am not ready to leave NS behind and it seems other options are not as complete and heading towards the same limbo for PaleMoon users as NS.
I will try to post on the NS forum and provide a link here a bit later. :|

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-08, 16:29

wavymoon wrote:... I installed the new 5.1.8.5 NS and found I was missing my search and location bars both on my menu bar ....
Search and location bars work fine for me using NS 5.1.8.5 -- try disabling all other add-ons except for NS. If the Search bars are okay then determine by process of elimination which add-on is causing the compatibility issue...

Btw, when you did the NS update -- what version of NS do you have now?

As far as I'm aware the 5.1.8.5 NS version is the highest non-beta version available for the "Classic" version of NS -- which should be compatible with Pale Moon.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

wavymoon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wavymoon » 2018-06-09, 13:45

I have 5.1.8.5
When I get around to it I can try a previous version but do not want to do the whole TS routine at this point.
With the trajectory of PM at present it maybe I will find a substitute for NoScript and avoid the problem.
It is sad that toolbars a such a touchy thing in PM. :(