KeePass 2.39 won't work with KeeFox

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

KeePass 2.39 won't work with KeeFox

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-06, 20:54

There have been lots of posts here about compatibility problems between KeePass & KeeFox when using Pale Moon.

KeePass Version 2.38 works with KeeFox 1.4.8.1-signed and KeePassRPC 1.4.4.0. on Pale Moon 27x. More recent versions of KeePassRPC would NOT work with KeeFox, and one got into a circular series of screens about upgrading KeeFox, and then the RPC would be deleted, etc.

Now KeePass has just released Version 2.39. It will NOT work with KeePassRPC 1.4.4.0, nor any newer versions, including the one that KeeFox just released, 1.8.0.0. At least I cannot get any of these to work. Same circular series of screens that I got before.

So I went back to KeePass Version 2.38 with KeeFox 1.4.8.1-signed and KeePassRPC 1.4.4.0.

If anyone has any success in getting KeePass 2.39 to work with KeeFox, please let me know.

I will contact the KeeFox developer, luckyrat, but in the past I never got any responses.

Harry

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: KeePass 2.39 won't work with KeeFox

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-09, 18:44

I have checked with both the developer of KeeFox (luckyrat) and the developer of KeePass (Dominik Reichl) via their forums. Here are their responses:

Hi Harry,

Unfortunately, if Pale Moon can support only KeeFox 1.4.8 you will be forced to stick with using that old version.

Since all versions of KeeFox prior to 1.7.3 required a (more or less) matching version number for KeePassRPC, this also means it is impossible for you to install a newer version of KeePassRPC into KeePass.

In turn, this limits your maximum possible version of KeePass to 2.38 (due to incompatible changes made by KeePass in version 2.39 and higher).

We can’t support any version of KeeFox earlier than 1.7.3, and even then, we would only work on it if a critical security vulnerability were to be found. After the end of 2018, even this support is likely to be stopped unless other people step up to take over the maintenance work at that point.

If Pale Moon enables support for WebExtensions (the latest browser add-on technology) it should automatically become compatible with Kee 2.x but if there are minor tweaks that we need to do to enable a Pale Moon WebExtensions variant to function, we’d definitely consider that. The same goes for any other browsers based off of old versions of Firefox.

If you still come across a reason to get the debug information, I have just added some more detailed instructions to the troubleshooting page:

luckyrat

Dominik Reichl - 4 hours ago

KeePass 2.39 has an improved secure edit control. All plugins that were using the older version of this control must be updated. Non-updated plugins are incompatible with KeePass 2.39.

Best regards,
Dominik

So at this point all Pale Moon users are stuck with KeePass Version 2.38, KeePassRPC 1.4.4.0.,
and KeeFox 1.4.8.1-signed. Very unfortunate.

Harry

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2018-07-11, 02:08

Hi,

Thanks so much for this information, as I use KeePass. Could you link me to KeePassRPC 1.4.4.0? I can't seem to find a version of it that old on GitHub.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-07-11, 04:30

Baloo wrote:Hi,

Thanks so much for this information, as I use KeePass. Could you link me to KeePassRPC 1.4.4.0? I can't seem to find a version of it that old on GitHub.
I thought that old versions were available, but I just searched and could not find ANY versions other than the latest.

Here is version 1.4.4.0 as a zipped file. (This forum would not accept the .plgx extension.)

Harry
Attachments
KeePassRPC.zip
(361.55 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2018-07-11, 11:30

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Still works perfectly in Pale Moon, but it is a shame that they won't update KeeFox and KeePassRPC to have it work on newer versions. It could always be forked by someone though, since it's open source right?

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-07-11, 13:35

Baloo wrote:Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Still works perfectly in Pale Moon, but it is a shame that they won't update KeeFox and KeePassRPC to have it work on newer versions. It could always be forked by someone though, since it's open source right?
Glad I could help.

I have no idea why the newer versions are not compatible. I guess not enough Pale Moon users to make the effort worthwhile.

Harry