Canvas Defender for Pale Moon? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Canvas Defender for Pale Moon?

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-18, 19:07

Good Day Community,

I am very interested in online privacy/security and from what I can gather is by using one's canvas fingerprint makes for quite a successful way of tracking a user across the internet, even though one has cookie/ad blockers installed?
Is this true?
If so, do you think Pale Moon needs a Canvas defender add-on like the one below?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

What I like about this add-on is that it changes your Canvas Fingerprint every x minutes.

I know Pale Moon has an agent switcher, which I use and love, but am I understanding canvas tracking correctly and should I be concerned about canvas fingerprint tracking?

Thank You and keen to hear what you guys think.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Canvas Defender for Pale Moon?

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-18, 19:10

There is also an about:config entry."canvas.poisondata" which can be set to true.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-19, 03:07

Moonraker wrote:There is also an about:config entry."canvas.poisondata" which can be set to true.
Awesome! What exactly does this config do?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-04-19, 04:24

"It changes your canvas fingerprint every time you check."

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-19, 08:38

You check what?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-19, 11:00

fatboy wrote:
Moonraker wrote:There is also an about:config entry."canvas.poisondata" which can be set to true.
Awesome! What exactly does this config do?
What it does exactly is introduce humanly-imperceptible random noise in visual data retrieved from canvases. So each time a tracker reads the image data to find out if the rendering of certain elements is telling it something about the browser in use, it will come back with a unique image (or checksum/fingerprint thereof).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-19, 16:22

What it does exactly is introduce humanly-imperceptible random noise in visual data retrieved from canvases. So each time a tracker reads the image data to find out if the rendering of certain elements is telling it something about the browser in use, it will come back with a unique image (or checksum/fingerprint thereof).
Oh jeez, this is perfect! Thank you! Amazing!

cdlvcdlv

Unread post by cdlvcdlv » 2018-04-20, 08:33

According to this article, that kind of strategy makes you more easily identifiable.

How Canvas Fingerprint Blockers Make You Easily Trackable

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-20, 12:54

cdlvcdlv wrote:According to this article, that kind of strategy makes you more easily identifiable.
Sorry, but the article is wrong.

I don't have the time or energy right now to give you a detailed explanation why randomized fingerprints are an effective method (I've already explained some of that when I first implemented it) and why the proposed method in that article is absolutely worse, but some key statements to set you on the right track in your own research: trackers are normally third-party so will not have any linked information to active navigation, any sort of tracking match (even temporarily) will paint a much larger label on you, non-matching fingerprints provide no information about the source IP's nature (shared or not, etc.), and random fingerprints will not only make your visits harder to track, but will also make the data for non-randomized visitors useless, and as a bonus trackers will have to store random fingerprints to even be able to filter (while blanking can just be discarded immediately) giving them lots of useless data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sampei Nihira

Unread post by Sampei Nihira » 2018-04-20, 13:35

The internal setting of Pale Moon v.27 will not protect you from other types of fingerprinting.
[Removed]

Mod. Edit: removed the off-topic, Canvas fingerprinting is tricky enough to understand without going off on a tangent.
Last edited by satrow on 2018-04-21, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-04-21, 20:57

Hey, what are talking about.?
That canvas poison thing is unique in the palemoon, I examined it and are to say it is good and available in about:config, i even set it true on my unofficial rus portable build.
Check there?
https://browserleaks.com/canvas

of course make a reload page there and be convinced of the canvas value is change every time, what is the goal of canvas poisoning.

Though I not good in english language, one who is good can decorated that better.
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2018-04-21, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

cdlvcdlv

Unread post by cdlvcdlv » 2018-04-27, 11:38

Moonchild wrote:
cdlvcdlv wrote:According to this article, that kind of strategy makes you more easily identifiable.
Sorry, but the article is wrong.(...)
Thanks for the explanation and the hints. I don't fully understand the meaning of some concepts (like "active navigation") but I will dig into it.