New user. AdFender not working

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

d4l3d

New user. AdFender not working

Post by d4l3d » 2013-01-12, 21:59

I'm a new user of Pale Moon. I've used AdFender with IE8 for quite a while now but find that it isn't working for my newly installed PM 32bit. AdFender is supposed to work with multiple browsers simultaneously including PM, just not in my case. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Later: Discovered if I manually input the required proxy settings for AdFender it appears to work now. For some reason PM 32 didn't auto-configure to AdFender's as IE8 had and as I had expected. At least I think this is what was wrong. Still testing.

Blacklab
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: New user. AdFender not working

Post by Blacklab » 2013-01-13, 11:47

Welcome to the forum. :) Glad you managed to sort out your problem with AdFender. Thanks for the Heads-Up for this freeware app - I have been importing the Quero AdBlock IE XML list into IE8 for a long time now which seems to do the job pretty well.

I look forward to giving AdFender a try, as free Adblocking options for Internet Explorer have always been very limited compared with the numerous alternatives available for Mozilla based browsers, Pale Moon, Firefox etc. Many of these Adblocking options are discussed in the forum.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2013-01-13, 13:11

Most likely AdFender was unfamiliar with Pale Moon and therefore did not make the entries? If Pale Moon is not specifically named by AdFender, it most likely will not know of its existence and will not make the required entries upon installation. If it works like a transparent proxy as seems likely, then it will indeed have been the problem if no proxy entries were made.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

Blacklab
Astronaut
Astronaut

Post by Blacklab » 2013-01-13, 18:56

Given that Pale Moon is specifically named as a supported browser in AdFender's FAQs (http://adfender.com/support.html) the problem you encountered seems a little surprising? Perhaps worth a report via the Customer/Technical Support addresses on their "Contact Us" page?
AdFender FAQs wrote:Which browsers are supported by AdFender?

AdFender works with all leading web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera. In addition to this, AdFender also supports Avant, Chromium, Comodo Dragon, Epic, Flock, K-Meleon, Lunascape, Maxthon, Pale Moon, QTWeb, RockMelt and SRWare Iron.
Last edited by Blacklab on 2013-01-13, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

d4l3d

Post by d4l3d » 2013-01-13, 19:25

Thanks to both of you for responding. I know you'd have been there had I continued my brain freeze.
Blacklab:
AdFender is a beautiful piece of work. Of course, I evaluate it strictly from my needs but I do recommend it. I basically just installed it and let it do it's thing. That's one of the reasons I was disappointed when I thought I might have to give it up; it works so well. I was aware from the start of their PM mention.
I've been in contact with AdFender about this from the beginning and gave them my tentative conclusion. There hasn't been a lot of back and forth. I'm sure the weekend had much to do with that.
Moonchild:
Thanks again for your off-forum help.