Xmarks syncing comes to an end

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Xmarks syncing comes to an end

Unread post by eskaton » 2018-03-30, 19:03

Below is the email I recv'd from LastPass this morning:

Xmarks update
On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then, including the syncing of your bookmarks. After that date, your bookmarks should remain in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your account will be deactivated.

At LastPass, we’ve staked our claim in password management, and providing our community with a high level of password security. After careful consideration and evaluation, we have decided to discontinue the Xmarks service so that we can continue to focus on offering the best possible password vaulting to our community.

On behalf of the entire LastPass and Xmarks team, we wanted to thank you for your support over the years.

fr0zensphere

Re: Xmarks syncing comes to an end

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2018-04-02, 00:55

https://alternativeto.net/software/xmarks/

I'm just gonna pick the very first one, EverSync, and see how it goes. I can post back regarding my experience with it later -- if I don't forget. Just installed version 13.1.1.

c-sanchez

XMarks alternatives

Unread post by c-sanchez » 2018-04-02, 07:47

On May 1, 2018, LastPass will shutting down Xmarks.
This was my favorite service to have all my bookmarks synchronized between browsers, In addition to having constant backups.

I'm making this topic to ask and find for some service like this, with extension for Chrome's, Firefoxes (quamtun based) and Firefoxes as Palemoon (with classic extensions)

Some interest links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... _1st_2018/

Some options to check:
https://booky.io/
https://saved.io/

https://www.everhelper.me/synchronizer.php

https://www.xbrowsersync.org/ (?) without extension for firefox yet.
Last edited by c-sanchez on 2018-04-02, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

RafaelS1979

Unread post by RafaelS1979 » 2018-04-04, 15:14

None of the synch apps available are compatible with Palemoon. Whenever I try to download an addon, it leads to the Firefox addons page and it says that the minimum requirement is Firefox 49 and since I'm using Palemoon, it is detected as if I were using Firefox 27.8.3. Can somebody help me find an alternative to Xmarks that can be used with Palemoon?

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2018-04-04, 16:35

RafaelS1979 wrote:None of the synch apps available are compatible with Palemoon. Whenever I try to download an addon, it leads to the Firefox addons page and it says that the minimum requirement is Firefox 49 and since I'm using Palemoon, it is detected as if I were using Firefox 27.8.3. Can somebody help me find an alternative to Xmarks that can be used with Palemoon?
Dude you can use older versions. See my post above, for instance.

RafaelS1979

Unread post by RafaelS1979 » 2018-04-04, 16:48

fr0zensphere wrote:
RafaelS1979 wrote:None of the synch apps available are compatible with Palemoon. Whenever I try to download an addon, it leads to the Firefox addons page and it says that the minimum requirement is Firefox 49 and since I'm using Palemoon, it is detected as if I were using Firefox 27.8.3. Can somebody help me find an alternative to Xmarks that can be used with Palemoon?
Dude you can use older versions. See my post above, for instance.
Yeah I saw that you use version 13.1.1 of Eversync. I'll try it.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2018-04-04, 17:03

Well, you can use old versions until they update the framework or database structure, and your outdated version is no longer supported. Maybe that day will never come, but it's an uncertainty to be aware of I think.
If you're only using Pale Moon, there's always Pale Moon Sync.

RafaelS1979

Unread post by RafaelS1979 » 2018-04-04, 17:12

eskaton023 wrote:Well, you can use old versions until they update the framework or database structure, and your outdated version is no longer supported. Maybe that day will never come, but it's an uncertainty to be aware of I think.
If you're only using Pale Moon, there's always Pale Moon Sync.
I also use Firefox and Slimjet.

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2018-04-04, 21:36

Unfortunately PM isn't really reliable enough for it to be the only browser to use.

RafaelS1979

Unread post by RafaelS1979 » 2018-04-04, 22:29

fr0zensphere wrote:Unfortunately PM isn't really reliable enough for it to be the only browser to use.
Indeed there's a lot of glitches with PM...

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-06-03, 22:48

I also used xmarks and since its end I'm having a hell of a time to sync my bookmarks.

Since those online services are tend to be unreliable, does anyone know of a simple tool to automatically sync bookmarks from/to palemoon/firefox/etc. (like xmarks did) but locally?
I own a NAS device and that could be a life saviour if it was possible to use it as a main storage for my bookmarks.

thanks

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2018-06-03, 23:06

Eversync seems to be working alright so far. Seems less polished/sophisticated than Xmarks was but still doing the job. I haven't tested it very much yet, finally set up my account just yesterday.

donozo
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by donozo » 2018-06-07, 05:29

fr0zensphere wrote:Eversync seems to be working alright so far. Seems less polished/sophisticated than Xmarks was but still doing the job. I haven't tested it very much yet, finally set up my account just yesterday.
The version you mentioned does seem to work. Thank you.

I guess that it has to do until I find a local solution.