Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-17, 18:49

Yeah, it isn't the end of 2014 when we first changed our GUID and Adblock Plus is the only game in town and is totally failing to work..

There are options and alternatives these days. Even if I have an obvious crippling dislike for some of them. Not to mention you can simply disable the offending filter and replace it with your own or maybe start your own filterlist that people can subscribe to.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-12-17, 18:51, edited 2 times in total.

Wolfey
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Wolfey » 2018-12-21, 09:52

A little less doom-thinking once in a while would be a nice change, but it seems everyone likes to think into the worst extremes these days. Not a nice motivator for developers.
Sorry Moonchild, I didn't mean to offend you.
So far I have only tried ABL and Tobin's ABPrime with different EasyLists to no avail.
I also tried to create my own filter, but it doesn't seem to be possible to achieve blocking in this particular case with "not advanced" filters.
The problem is, as I said before, that you have to block a parent-element IF a child-element has a particular class.

I haven't tried Tobin's favorite uBlock yet, but it seems I will have to.
I will also try and use Blockzilla and Peter Lowe's lists, as you do, maybe it'll work there as you say.

If nothing works I'll try to help with the extension. I mean, I can do a bit of coding and have basic understanding of how it works, but I never coded a browser extension or used GitHub, so I'm not sure if it'd be much of a help.

It really isn't a critical issue, I was just extremely annoyed with Amazon when I tried to buy a couple of presents, but only got "sponsored" products shown to me, that have not much to do with what I was looking for. And when I tried it again on a different PC, where I have to use FF the sponsored links all disappeared. That was the first time in years I saw any ads on the Internet. Please don't take it personal, I know you guys are a small team, I was only wondering whether or not you could implement advanced filters because maybe it wasn't such a big deal. I thought you could say if it's easy to implement and didn't really had to mention more people using other browsers.

I wish you both pleasant holidays.
Cheers,
-Wolfey
Last edited by Wolfey on 2018-12-21, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-21, 10:17

Wolfey wrote:Sorry Moonchild, I didn't mean to offend you.
Unlike most these days I'm not that easily offended ;)
It was more an expression of a little frustration and annoyance than anything else.
Wolfey wrote:it doesn't seem to be possible to achieve blocking in this particular case with "not advanced" filters
I'm sure it is, but you'll probably have to approach the blocking a different way. instead of trying to do very specific element hiding, you probably just want to be blocking the source of the ad instead. Such specific "advanced" rules are going to break the moment a page structure changes anyway so unless you want to give yourself more work, you want to K.I.S.S. it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2019-01-20, 19:08

Hello,

I still have problem with posting anything to Facebook (maybe 2 years?) , the text form still disappearing. So I wrote to EasyList here https://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f ... 659ac6dd85 , but they me sent link to this topic on Palemoon.
So my question is, where is the problem with Facebook text form? I tried set Facebook page to exceptions, but this not help. I must disable Adblock Latitude from extensions and then restart Palemoon for text form appear.

Thank you in advance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-21, 00:48

If it's caused by EasyList, then it's really not our problem, but theirs.
I suggest you use a different filter list subscription that doesn't use rules that cause issues, e.g. Blockzilla+Peter Lowe's list, a combination I've been using effectively with ABL that doesn't cause issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2019-01-21, 09:21

I have default Adblock Latitude from PM extension website, and in filters I have only EasyList. If this problem with FB is in the EasyList, why they sent me here? I had similar problem in past with postimg.org (this site is no longer exists) , where with ADB Latitude missing pictures in gallery when I logged in. Newer version od ADB Latitude solved this problem for example.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2019-01-22, 14:22

It must doing Adblock Latitude, because when I disable all filters, Facebook text form still missing. In Adblock Prime I have same issue.

EDIT: Well, this issue I have now without any Ad blocker, so maybe it's Palemoon issue?

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-12, 18:31

Simple question: if the latest version is a year old, does that make Latitude outdated?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-12, 18:37

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:Simple question: if the latest version is a year old, does that make Latitude outdated?
Simple answer: no.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-12, 18:44

I am not a programmer (would join the project if I was), but I was under the impression that add-ons under the "security and privacy" label (like Ad Blockers) need to be constantly updated or scary bad things will happen.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-12, 19:08

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:I was under the impression that add-ons under the "security and privacy" label (like Ad Blockers) need to be constantly updated
Then you got the entirely wrong impression.
just because the add-on deals with security and privacy doesn't mean that it in itself needs to be constantly updated.

I guess you need to more elaborate answer after all.
Like any other add-on, it only needs to be updated if either the program it extends changes in such a way that the extensions needs to be updated for compatibility, OR if the extension itself needs to be changed to adjust to changing circumstances or for wishes/enhancements/bugfixes.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-03-12, 19:29

I can never understand this updating fever which everyone seems to be affected by.My os is xenial puppy linux and it has not been updated since i installed it and this goes for add ons too.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-12, 20:26

I thought ad blockers (can, maybe) protect against trackers/malware, warranting frequent updates.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-03-13, 03:04

Adblockers such as ABL rely on blocklists to determine what to actually block. These blocklists are updated fairly frequently, and often update independently of the adblocker extension itself.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2019-03-13, 10:43

Moonraker wrote:I can never understand this updating fever which everyone seems to be affected by.
I share your feeling, I tend never to update things which are working except in real security emergency. OS is updated at hardware change, for instance.
Of course it is different the case of data files (may apply to adblock or antispam lists, but also other stuff) which should update automatically without no human intervention (in my institute we have mailing lists which update automatically from a database and I refused to move them to Gsuite groups until found a way to do that programmatically).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-13, 15:05

Well, security was the thing I had in mind. I thought ads (like the pesky germs) evolve constantly to get around adblockers, so said adblockers have to get constant updates to stay ahead.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-13, 15:32

It depends, if there is a filter rule syntax change or a new type of block target like websocket or webrtc then yes, the extension has to be updated to properly support it.. But those don't happen constantly. What does need constant updates are the filter lists and their exact rules them selves which ad providers are always trying to outwit. This does not require a change to the extension else (save the exceptions already mentioned) you'd need a new extension update every 6 hours or whatever.

ALSO adblockers are not security enhancing extensions.. Get that out of your head right now.. at MOST they are privacy and stability enhancers but their primary job is to remove the annoyance of pervasive and intrusive ads.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-13, 19:57

Well, consider me educated. Guess protection is what NoSripts are all about.

Also, switching from uBlock to Latitude.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-13, 20:44

And if you use noscript, you disqualify yourself from support.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-13, 20:53

I use what I want.