Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-29, 12:35

Since Tobin is fully dedicated to ABPrime, I've taken it upon myself to update Adblock Latitude for the future.

As such we now have Adblock Latitude 5.0.0!

This is a major rewrite from 4.*, adopts many fixes from later ABP versions pre-WE, and:
  • Added compatibility with Basilisk/UXP
  • Dropped compatibility with Pale Moon < 27
  • Changed the default selection of subscriptions
  • Dropped reliance on adblockplus published resources
If there are any confirmed bugs with this version, I'd like to hear about it. I've done thorough daily testing for a week or so but very well possible I've missed something.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-18, 19:08

Great! Thanks Moonchild! I love this add-on.
Do you prefer ABprime over this one?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-19, 11:03

fatboy wrote:Do you prefer ABprime over this one?
No, I don't. I prefer ABL because the startup delay of ABPrime for me is breaking. But that's why everyone has a choice :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-19, 11:04

Adblock Latitude has been updated to 5.0.1 (a little while back, but I forgot to make a post).

It fixes the issue of still having a leftover "contribute" button in the menu that led to the Adblock Plus support page.

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2018-04-19, 15:04

Why did Open blockable items shortcut change from Ctrl+Shift+V to Ctrl+Shift+U?

It hurts my wrist! :P

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-19, 16:21

Moonchild wrote:Adblock Latitude has been updated to 5.0.1 (a little while back, but I forgot to make a post).

It fixes the issue of still having a leftover "contribute" button in the menu that led to the Adblock Plus support page.
Ah great! Thanks for the reply Moonchild! :)
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Cara Palida

Unread post by Cara Palida » 2018-08-14, 03:42

I updated to 5.01 and noticed ads on imgur eg. https://imgur.com/gallery/s4szEQA.
while using 5.01 sometimes the ads have scroll bars (which is why I noticed them). if adblock is disabled the ads don't have scroll bars.

Reinstalled 4.01 and the ads are gone. so I've gone back to using 4.01

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-14, 04:48

I don't see any ads on that imgur link using ABL 5.0.1 - you may want to check your filter subscriptions.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-14, 09:28

I don't see any ads either on that link with Adblock Latitude (5.0.1) using the default settings (Easylist) for ABL.

And I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.4 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-08-14, 13:41

No ads for me either. Easylist and others doing their job nicely.

Cara Palida

Unread post by Cara Palida » 2018-08-14, 18:43

I had Allow nonintrusive advertising on. Turning it off solved the problem but they are the same ads, definitely not nonintrusive, and why does it only occur on imgur and why is ABL 4.01 unaffected?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-14, 20:05

Cara Palida wrote:I had Allow nonintrusive advertising on. Turning it off solved the problem but they are the same ads, definitely not nonintrusive, and why does it only occur on imgur and why is ABL 4.01 unaffected?
There is no such things as "allow nonintrusive advertising" in ABL -- Are you sure you don't have Adblock Plus installed?

As an aside, if you are having issue with ABL -- PLEASE make a separate thread -- this topic is for release announcements, not for tech support with it.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-14, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Cara Palida

Unread post by Cara Palida » 2018-08-15, 01:57

When I first started using Pale Moon I was using Adblock Plus with it. That was a long time ago. Then I found out about Adblock Latitude and have been using that successfully ever since.
So I have an option left over from Adblock Plus, and I'm guessing earlier versions of Adblock Latitude took this situation into account and dealt with it, whereas version 5 does not.

I was just trying to report a problem with Adblock Latitude 5 and this seemed like the place to do it. I'll make a new thread next time. :oops:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-15, 02:17

If you delete that "Allow non-intrusive advertising" it shouldn't return. AFAIK if that was retained from old Adblock Plus, ABL just sees it as any other filter subscription list not giving it any special treatment like ABP does.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-08-15, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-15, 08:13

Tobin is correct -- that entry is just a filter list with exception rules that are left over from your ABP use. Just remove that list.

pmjack
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pmjack » 2018-08-28, 21:28

ABP has incorporated new filtering features since they moved on to webextension platform such as:

Code: Select all

$csp,$elemhide, $rewrite
Will ABL be updated to add these features?
Last edited by pmjack on 2018-08-28, 21:29, edited 2 times in total.

Wolfey
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Wolfey » 2018-12-13, 10:09

Heya,

I'm not sure if it's the same what pmjack was asking, but since he got no answer I thought I might just ask again?
Will ABL add support for "advanced" filters, such as #?#, -abp-has, etc. anytime soon?

For example this filter from EasyList:

Code: Select all

amazon.ca,amazon.co.uk,amazon.de,amazon.es,amazon.fr,amazon.in,amazon.it#?#.s-result-item:-abp-has(h5.s-sponsored-header)
This filter has 0 hits in PM/ABL because the patterns I mentioned before aren't implemented in ABL.
That means when I go to Amazon and search for something I get -tons- (up to 10 per page) of sponsored products that have little to do with my search. If I open the same search in FF with ABP these sponsored products are filtered to hell.
And there are a lot of other filters from EasyList that get 0 hits because some newer filter rules aren't implemented.

Cheers,
-Wolfey

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-13, 14:25

You should employ your own filter rules to filter out the elements on pages you don't want.

Wolfey
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Wolfey » 2018-12-17, 15:16

That's what I tried to do even before I noticed that "#?#" and ":-abp-has" weren't supported by ABL.
Unfortunately what needs to be done in that particular case is to block a parent element IF it has a certain child-element. That's what :-abp-has is used for.
It's impossible to distinguish between the parent-elements without checking for a certain child-element. It also won't be useful to only block the child-element.
The one filter I described is the one I noticed, buy EasyList has many of such "new" filters that use :-abp-has and other "advanced" filtering techniques, that were added in recent ABP versions: https://adblockplus.org/en/filters#elemhide_css
And since ABL uses the very same filter lists that are created for ABP it renders a part of it useless, which results in more ads, worse blocking, and probably a lot of people wondering why FF/GC have less ads than PM.
I just think it would be a pity if people stop using PM just because of that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-17, 15:34

The problem is that people who maintain easylist always only cater to the latest ABP and do not take others into account. I'm seeing next to no ads by using a different filter list (the combination of blockzilla and Peter Lowe's list works very well) and those I still see are easily filtered out by content blocking rules. You don't need "advanced" rules to achieve effective ad blocking.

Unfortunately I don't have time to add new features to ABL at this point in time; I'm too busy with the browser itself. If you want to help out, then by all means: the source is open and available for anyone to offer enhancements to at https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Tea ... k-latitude -- feel free to open an enhancement issue if you can't code yourself, and maybe someone else can jump in.

Also, I don't think people will stop using Pale Moon just because one of the available ad-blockers is less efficient with the same filter list subscriptions. At most they would be switching adblockers. A little less doom-thinking once in a while would be a nice change, but it seems everyone likes to think into the worst extremes these days. Not a nice motivator for developers.