Download Helper & Ghostery with 27.8.1

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Download Helper & Ghostery with 27.8.1

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-03-18, 12:20

I searched, but I don't know how to make these work with PM 27.8.1 x64. Is there a way? or what would be the latest x64 version to support these addons?

Much thanks
Last edited by kla87 on 2018-03-18, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Download Helper & Ghostery with 27.8.1

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-03-22, 15:53

Does anyone know?

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-22, 17:23

I have Ghostery ver. 5.4.11 working with Pale Moon ver. 27.7.2 64 bit on a Windows 7 PC.

At this point in time I am not yet ready to to upgrade to 28. Because I use only one device, I tend to wait some amount of time when new versions come out for any of my software, This has been a great help in terms of not having upgrades which may cause issues on my box. I research what sort of problem reports come out after upgrades are released so i can determine what the risk might be from applying that upgrade.

This is how I do things and I am not suggesting anybody else should do it. It works well for my specific situation which is all that matter to me.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 2018-03-22, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-03-23, 06:35

The latest versions of Ghostery and Video DownloadHelper (if this is the extension you're referring to) are both WebExtensions (you can tell because they contain a manifest.json but no install.rdf or chrome.manifest), and as such are not compatible with Pale Moon. As TwoTankAmin hinted, though, there are probably older XUL versions which will work.
Off-topic:
TwoTankAmin wrote:At this point in time I am not yet ready to to upgrade to 28.
Do you mean Pale Moon 27.8? 28 has not been released yet, and probably will not be for at least a few more months. I do respect your software updating policy; while I trust the Pale Moon team, I tend to be somewhat hesitant when it comes to updating other things.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-03-23, 09:39

There are no Download Helper & Ghostery extensions in Pale Moon at the moment, however there are some good alternatives.

uBlock Origin is, IMHO, even better then Ghostery and you can find it in Pale Moon: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/

Currently there is no working alternative for Download Helper in Pale Moon, but you can install an alternative for downloading videos from AMO (mostly older XUL versions):
- Ant Video Downloader 2.4.7.50 (the best solution - according to my tests),
- Video Downloader professional 1.97.37.1-signed.1-signed,
- Video DownloadHelper 6.3.1 (this runs when installed via Moon Tester Tool)
Or you can use an external software: JDownloader working with all systems (windows, linux, mac) and on many websites.
Last edited by palem on 2018-03-23, 10:24, edited 2 times in total.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-03-23, 12:30

Opps, yes I meant 27.8 not 28.

Everybody uses what works best for them. For me it is Ghostery. I have tried other suggested alternatives and decided I preferred what I was using.

The other thing is I have owned a PC longer than most folks on this site. My first was un 1988 when DOS was how you interfaced. I have never been hacked, never had to remove malware, viruses etc. Knock on wood.

I chose Ghostery and then to remain with it because I found it the simplest to use because of the UI. I also like to be able to see see what things sites are trying to load onto to my box and that I blocked. I have never seen any potential issues with Ghostery collecting my data and having something directed back at me- i.e. adverts etc.

Finally, I had to use the Moon tester Tool to have Ghostery and Self-Destructing Cookies
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-04-03, 03:36

palem wrote:There are no Download Helper & Ghostery extensions in Pale Moon at the moment, however there are some good alternatives.

uBlock Origin is, IMHO, even better then Ghostery and you can find it in Pale Moon: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/

Currently there is no working alternative for Download Helper in Pale Moon, but you can install an alternative for downloading videos from AMO (mostly older XUL versions):
- Ant Video Downloader 2.4.7.50 (the best solution - according to my tests),
- Video Downloader professional 1.97.37.1-signed.1-signed,
- Video DownloadHelper 6.3.1 (this runs when installed via Moon Tester Tool)
Or you can use an external software: JDownloader working with all systems (windows, linux, mac) and on many websites.
That's very helpful. Trying to create a concisely secure browser, it seems all the major names: Ghostery, uMatrix, etc offer something unique. Here's an interesting read on redundancy tests:
http://blog.add0n.com/2015/05/16/tracke ... refox.html

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2018-04-03, 03:38

TwoTankAmin wrote:Opps, yes I meant 27.8 not 28.

The other thing is I have owned a PC longer than most folks on this site. My first was un 1988 when DOS was how you interfaced. I have never been hacked, never had to remove malware, viruses etc. Knock on wood.

Finally, I had to use the Moon tester Tool to have Ghostery and Self-Destructing Cookies
Your posts are helpful and I appreciate your approach to your system evolving.

palechild

Unread post by palechild » 2018-08-29, 22:50

@ kla, TwoTank:

Video downloadhelper version 5.1.2.1 (which you can find here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/ ) works perfectly in Palemoon 28.

No clue concerning Ghostery, though. :|