Is there an "Open in Palemoon" extension for Chrome?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Is there an "Open in Palemoon" extension for Chrome?

Unread post by Trinoc » 2018-03-07, 11:16

I've tried installing two "Open in Firefox" extensions on Chrome (actually Iron). The first one would no accept the Palemoon Portable path, and the second insisted that I should install some third party system software (possibly malware?) so I uninstalled it.

Does anyone know of a Chrome extension that works to open a link in Palemoon Portable (or presumably normal non-portable Palemoon)?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Is there an "Open in Palemoon" extension for Chrome?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-07, 11:33

I have used Open With in Firefox ESR and Pale Moon, which previously allowed you to add custom browsers to the list of options to open a tab with. The add-on has since migrated to WebExtensions and is available for Chrome as well. The feature may still be available in newer versions.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2018-03-07, 11:44

Isengrim wrote:I have used Open With in Firefox ESR and Pale Moon, which previously allowed you to add custom browsers to the list of options to open a tab with. The add-on has since migrated to WebExtensions and is available for Chrome as well. The feature may still be available in newer versions.
It installed in Iron, but when I clicked on the icon and then on "options" I got a mostly blank screen (just the logo and some borders).

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-07, 12:25

It definitely works in Chromium, and it still has the feature for adding a custom browser option as shown in the screenshot below. Not sure why it doesn't work in Iron, but it may be related to some of the differences between Iron and Chrome.
Attachments
openwith.png
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-10, 11:04

I would not touch iron with a ten mile pole.Most of the "features" it touts can be turned off in chromium/chrome so its purpose is useless.I will add these "open with" extensions seem rather pointless too.Whats wrong with plain old copy and paste a link..?

Thats my input on the matter. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-10, 11:39

Moonraker wrote:I would not touch iron with a ten mile pole.Most of the "features" it touts can be turned off in chromium/chrome so its purpose is useless.I will add these "open with" extensions seem rather pointless too.Whats wrong with plain old copy and paste a link..?

Thats my input on the matter. :D
I agree, i rather would touch Vivaldi or Brave before i would use Iron... or a modified Chromium stable build from that page here:

https://chromium.woolyss.com/

(which i actually use for testing reasons)

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2018-03-10, 15:41

OK, I've installed Chromium as everyone is suggesting (portable version 49, since I'm using XP). It doesn't seem a lot different from Iron, but it's OK.

When I install "Open with" and try to go to options, I still get a mostly blank screen.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-08, 20:29

Trinoc wrote:OK, I've installed Chromium as everyone is suggesting (portable version 49, since I'm using XP). It doesn't seem a lot different from Iron, but it's OK.

When I install "Open with" and try to go to options, I still get a mostly blank screen.
Not sure if that has something to do with the older version of chromium you are using.If you do a wiki search on iron then it should be clear it is a scareware browser.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1