Extension to show occurrence of the search term on sidebar slider

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Extension to show occurrence of the search term on sidebar slider

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-12, 11:18

Do you know any extension which shows occurrence of the search term on sidebar slider?
Something similar as in Vivaldi - shown below (my remarks added with red color).
search-terms-on-sidebar-slider.jpg
Last edited by palem on 2018-02-12, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Extension to show occurrence of the search term on sidebar slider

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-14, 04:35

Does Scrollbar Search Highlighter do it for you? It doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm running macOS, with a different scroll bar and stuff.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-14, 09:08

Unfortunately, under Linux it does not work too :(
I do not see this "Highlight Bar" on my Pale Moon under Linux, as shown by developer on the pic (between the slider bar and the right rand): https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/user-med ... /57932.png
Choosing of any option of "Highlight Bar Width" in the settings does not change anything.

I have found an alternative to this extension: FindBar Tweak, but the same, it does not work on my Pale Moon under Linux.
Maybe it would work under macOS.
Last edited by palem on 2018-02-14, 09:52, edited 4 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-02-14, 12:04

yep FinderBar Tweak (the Pale Moon fork of Findbar Tweak) lost the scrollbar highlight functionality since PM was updated to version 27.0

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-14, 16:24

FinderBar Tweak for Pale Moon(25.0 to 26.*) is based on an older version of FindBar Tweak.
I hope developer would make a version for PM 27 with scrollbar highlight, functioning under Linux too.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-02-14, 18:20

palem wrote:I hope developer would make a version for PM 27 with scrollbar highlight, functioning under Linux too.
i learned to manage without it but it is a big loss. maybe someone will reupdate it eventually

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-15, 08:34

According to Copyright Notice of FinderBar Tweak (for Pale Moon 25.0 to 26.*), it was posted on PM website by the author(s) or one of their authorized agents.
So my request to PM Team is to ask developer, to post the actual version for PM 27.*+ on PM website.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-15, 11:25

The code should MPL but not set on the site.. Also, there will not be any updates to Finderbar Tweak.

Given our finder is improved over that in the 24-26 level I deemed it not worth my time. Feel free to fork it.. If I approve.. I will give you the name and id..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-02-15, 11:29, edited 2 times in total.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-15, 12:36

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:our finder is improved over that in the 24-26 level
What do you mean?
Is there any extension for Pale Moon with desired scrollbar highlight functionality?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-15, 12:57

Exactly what I said.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-15, 13:12

Forgive me, but I am not a native English speaker and I just do no understand your previous sentence.
So could you, please, answer if there is any other extension for Pale Moon with desired scrollbar highlight functionality or not?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-15, 13:29

Not that I know of.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-15, 22:44

I just installed Firefox-ESR(52) to check if (and how) those two FF extensions (Scrollbar Search Highlighter and FindBar Tweak) are working in this browser under Linux. And they both are working properly, inclusive scrollbar highlight functionality.
So it seems probable that the lack of scrollbar highlight functionality of those two extensions and of FinderBar Tweak for PM in Pale Moon is not a Linux problem but a Pale Moon problem.

As this functionality, IMHO, is very useful and improving the overall quality of Pale Moon, very kindly I would like to ask PM Team to check what in PM code could potentially block this functionality in Pale Moon and to repair it. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-15, 22:52

Extensions extend a browser, not the other way around. If there is a compatibility issue with an extension and Pale Moon's code, then in principle that has to be solved in the extension, not the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-15, 23:06

Out of curiosity, how specifically was the finder improved in Pale Moon 27?

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-15, 23:49

Moonchild wrote:Extensions extend a browser, not the other way around.
And would it be possible to add this useful and browser's quality improving functionality direct to Pale Moon? (as it is in Vivaldi)
Last edited by palem on 2018-02-15, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-16, 01:18

I have no use for this scrollbar highlight thing.. I don't pay much mind to the scrollbar as it is.. So how would this benefit more than you?

Just make a cut down extension that adds only this.. I don't want it but if you do then w/e.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-02-16, 02:10

palem wrote:And would it be possible to add this useful and browser's quality improving functionality direct to Pale Moon?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5647
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-16, 09:37

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I have no use for this scrollbar highlight thing.. I don't pay much mind to the scrollbar as it is.. So how would this benefit more than you?
OK. It depends on how do you use your browser.
But, IMHO, this is a very useful and desirable function because:
- you can quickly see where on the the website is the information you are looking, so you can quickly go there, just by moving the scrollbar to the position where this information is on the page;
- it is especially useful when you are on a large website (e.g. 20 pages) and your search term is found, e.g., on the 1st, 3rd, 9th, 11th and 17th page of this website. In such a case you can quickly and easily get your information;
- you can quickly and easily just jump between your search results (e.g. directly from 11th to 3rd page);
- many people find this feature very useful (and you can find some of them even in this thread);
- many people simply do not realize this useful function, but when they try to use it, I am deeply convinced that they would be very pleased with the way it would improve the use of Pale Moon;
- the quality of this feature is already appreciated by Vivaldi, where it was built into the browser as a result of user requests;
- providing this feature to Pale Moon would positively distinguish PM among browsers.

Summarizing, I encourage PM Team to reconsider to add this useful feature to Pale Moon (either as an extension or direct in the browser) :thumbup:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Just make a cut down extension that adds only this.. I don't want it but if you do then w/e.
Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to make an extension :(
Last edited by palem on 2018-02-16, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-16, 11:30

Well then learn. The code to do this is in existance..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-02-16, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.