DownThemAll! latest version

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

DavidSweden

DownThemAll! latest version

Unread post by DavidSweden » 2018-02-11, 18:35

Hello all. Just started to try out Pale Moon, one big reason being that I like DownThemAll. Already installed v2.0.18 which works but I would rather have the latest version (3.0.8 I think).

Here is a link to a major gossip-type site which clearly states and confirms that latest DTA can be installed if first installing "checkCompatability" which I did (v1.3.1) but install button is still greyed out here. Why?

If the simple solution above won't work then in this locked thread I found a tip how to edit the "install.rdf" file, and the file seems to be part of DTA? So what is he saying? Should I download the DTA source code and edit this file? If I do that, how can I then add the result as an extension to Pale Moon?

Those are the 2 ways I hope will make latest DTA work on Pale Moon. I also found this plugin called "DownThemAll! v3+ Windows 8,10 fix" but there are not many clues how it works. I realize it addresses the beta nightly build that came after 3.0.8 (although the version numbering seems odd if the beta is called 3.0 and the latest stable version 3.0.8) but I don't understand if it is just a fix or if it actually contains the whole DTA so that I can use it (even on my Windows 7 PC).

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: DownThemAll! latest version

Unread post by doofy » 2018-02-11, 19:51

The install button is greyed out on the add ons site.

But you can right click and "save link as". So do that. Save the xpi file somewhere memorable.

Go here and install the tool:

http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/

When it is installed, find it in your addons manager, select Options / install test addon / select file.

Browse to your saved xpi file and install it. I've just done it; it works.

What the moon tester tool does is hack the rdf so you don't have to...

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-11, 20:07

JustOff wrote:Warning! Moon Tester Tool is intended for advanced users and for test purposes only!

Installation of improper extensions or themes may break the browser and lead to the damage or loss of data. You can't expect or ask for any support of extensions and themes installed via Moon Tester Tool neither from their authors, nor from developers of the browser.

If you find the add-on or theme that runs well, you have to contact author and ask him to provide compatibility with Pale Moon officially.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-11, 21:29

Install.rdf is indeed a file in the extension. You can just download the extension as doofy said, and then unzip it (.xpi files are basically just .zip files with a different extension), edit install.rdf with a text editor so it targets your version of Pale Moon, and then re-zip and make sure the extension is .xpi. Then you'll be able to install it, but it may or may not work correctly or at all. I've never used DTA, so I don't know. I've also never used that "checkCompatibility" extension.
Off-topic:
Reddit is "a major gossip-type site?" :lol:

DavidSweden

Unread post by DavidSweden » 2018-02-12, 20:02

Thanks! Edited the rdf and installed.

I bet the DTA guys are surprised someone installed it! And it used to have a 1.5M user base or so I read.

Yep Reddit can't be trusted :-/

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-13, 22:23

DavidSweden wrote:Thanks! Edited the rdf and installed.
Cool! ' No problem.
DavidSweden wrote:...

Yep Reddit can't be trusted :-/
Well, you can't believe everything you read anywhere.