Flagfox DB Updating

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Phantom

Re: Flagfox DB Updating

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-13, 05:13

A simple query to WHOIS would be a lot better. Albeit they may not like that since as it stands now they use a captcha.

When I ran Fire Fox I had one such extension.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-13, 06:17

Phantom wrote:A simple query to WHOIS would be a lot better. Albeit they may not like that since as it stands now they use a captcha.
When I ran Fire Fox I had one such extension.
You'll be banned for spamming the whois server in no time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-13, 14:44

Note
There actually is an alternative extension to Flagfox ("WorldIP - Geo Add-on with Security Features") that works well and does not require updates. Unfortunately, WorldIP requires 100% of your browsing to be sent to their servers, so that the real location of the webpage server can be identified. I was not OK with that, so I removed World IP after just a few hours.

Currently, Flagfox integrates its web-server-location database within the extension itself. Accordingly, everytime the database is updated, the extension also has to be updated. Instead, the database should be maintained and updated separately from the extension (similar to "EasyList" with Adblock or uBlock). Unfortunately, since this separate database hasn't happened yet, a separate downloadable database for Flagfox is unlikely to happen at all.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-14, 05:29

I believe it was WorldIP that I once used and when I found out they nabbed your browsing habits I nixed it. Other than that it was a flawless add-on.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-08-27, 15:00

Flagfox v5.2.10 released: https://flagfox.wordpress.com/download/

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-27, 15:15

If I've read that correctly, he will soon stop updating it.
Mozilla ends support for Firefox 52 ESR next month and thus the Flagfox 5.2.11 ESR update will be the final one on the old branch.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-08-27, 15:55

Yes, he has announced this for a long time.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-07, 10:44

Flagfox v5.2.11 released: https://flagfox.wordpress.com/download/

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-07, 11:01

Uninstalled, since it's the last one and he clearly has no intention of updating it.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-09-07, 14:01

back2themoon wrote:Uninstalled, since it's the last one and he clearly has no intention of updating it.
You will still be able to update the Flagfox 5.2.11 database. Just replace the Flagfox 5.2.11 database with extracted future updates to the Flagfox 6+ databases. To make updating the Flagfox 5.2.11 database a little easier, and lessen the chances for corrupting the Flagfox xpi file during updates-- consider running Flagfox 5.2.11 unpacked. To do so, change line 25 of the Flagfox 5.2.11 install.rdf file.

Change from:

Code: Select all

<em:unpack>false</em:unpack> <!-- install as a single archive without extracting XPI into the profile -->
Change to:

Code: Select all

<em:unpack>true</em:unpack> <!-- install with extracting XPI into the profile -->
Then to update your Flagfox 5.2.11 database with changes from Flagfox 6+, first close Pale Moon. Then, find the unpacked database folder for Flagfox in your user profile (...\extensions\{1018e4d6-728f-4b20-ad56-37578a4de76b}\chrome\flagfox\content\ipdb). Make a backup of the contents of the "ipdb" database folder. Then copy the updated Flagfox databases, extracted from Flagfox 6+, into this Flagfox "ipdb" database folder.

Edit: Also, to make future updates even easier, consider creating a shortcut (on your desktop or elsewhere), to this Flagfox 5.2.11 "ipdb" database folder. Then updates will consist of simply unzipping the Flagfox 6+ "xpi" file. Then, copying the Flagfox 6+ "ipdb" files, clicking the shortcut, then pasting the Flagfox 6+ "ipdb" files into the Flagfox 5.2.11 "ipdb" database folder.
Last edited by riiis on 2018-09-07, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-08, 01:07

Perhaps you could fork it off, riiis, and provide updated builds @ Pale Moon's add-on page, along with the other extensions that you've already uploaded there?
:)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-08, 07:52

JFYI, from the Flagfox License:
Derived works using source code that serve the same general purpose as the original software may not be distributed using any official Mozilla services such as addons.mozilla.org or through any other official service for any web browser without prior permission.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-08, 09:18

Oh, bummer!
But perhaps the author will allow it, if he's asked.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-09, 17:08

@ riiis
Thanks for the tips on running extracted. That will save some time updating.

@ All
FWIW, I am still using 5.2.3 and the methods I posted at the start of this thread to keep my DB updated without issue. :)

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-01-06, 08:19

Hi, I have followed the instructions to update the database in version 5.2.11. Despite that I get this page and can't see an IP address for a website.

So what's the deal here? Using the latest PM 28.2.2.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-06, 12:03

F22 Simpilot wrote:So what's the deal here? Using the latest PM 28.2.2.
Manually update your Flagfox from the link provided for "Firefox fork users"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-01-06, 12:37

F22 Simpilot wrote:Hi, I have followed the instructions to update the database in version 5.2.11. Despite that I get this page and can't see an IP address for a website.
Apparently the Geotool doesn't like the latest 5.x version anymore. What I do is change the <em:version></em:version> in the install.rd file to the version that the database came with. The Geotool will think you're using the latest version and will work for you. I don't know if there is another way to trick the tool, but that's one way to do it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-06, 13:08

Seems the latest version is 5.2.11 -- I shot Dave a tweet to ask him to update the service and/or extension to make geotool work again.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-01-07, 05:15

Cassette wrote:
F22 Simpilot wrote:Hi, I have followed the instructions to update the database in version 5.2.11. Despite that I get this page and can't see an IP address for a website.
Apparently the Geotool doesn't like the latest 5.x version anymore. What I do is change the <em:version></em:version> in the install.rd file to the version that the database came with. The Geotool will think you're using the latest version and will work for you. I don't know if there is another way to trick the tool, but that's one way to do it.

Bingo! That did it. Thanks.

Real pain to have to do all of these trickery just for one extension. There has got to be something like FlagFox in XUL.

Moonchild wrote:Seems the latest version is 5.2.11 -- I shot Dave a tweet to ask him to update the service and/or extension to make geotool work again.
So far the site wouldn't work yet. I had to edit the min and max version.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-07, 09:29

Dave's reply is not promising.
Users of obsolete versions are throttled via a CAPTCHA, however that seems to be having issues at the moment. Will investigate. However, Flagfox 5.2.x support ended once Firefox 52 ESR hit end-of-life, 4 months ago. All users need to update to Firefox 60 ESR & Flagfox 6.1+.
I stressed to him that forks aren't obsolete and that they don't necessarily support WebExtensions -- and that it just seems to be an arbitrary version check (so easy to fix).