Flagfox DB Updating

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

kelendral

Flagfox DB Updating

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-02-09, 22:13

Well, like so many others I started getting the Flagfox DB out of date warning with v5.2.3
Thankfully the Flagfox developer has kept the DB format compatible between the XUL and Web Ext versions.

So here's how to use v6.01 to update the DB.

Download both 'flagfox-6.0.1-an+fx.xpi' and 'flagfox-5.2.3-fx+sm.xpi' from AMO.
Open 'flagfox-6.0.1-an+fx.xpi' with your favorite archiver (WinRAR, 7Zip, etc)
Navigate to 'flagfox-6.0.1-an+fx.xpi\ipdb'
Extract all 3 files (ip4.cdb, ip6.cdb, metadata.json)
Close 'flagfox-6.0.1-an+fx.xpi'
Open 'flagfox-5.2.3-fx+sm.xpi'
Navigate to 'flagfox-5.2.3-fx+sm.xpi\chrome\flagfox\content\ipdb'
Replace the replace the existing 3 files (and keep the 4th) with the ones from 'flagfox-6.0.1-an+fx.xpi' - (ip4.cdb, ip6.cdb, metadata.json) from above
Save/Close your modified XPI
Install from file your modified XPI.
Enjoy updated Flagfox DB.
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-02-09, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Flagfox DB Updating

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-02-11, 13:20

Nice post, thanks. Hopefully a more official solution will appear.

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2018-02-15, 16:21

Oh yes, I hope so, too. That fiddling is only a temporary solution, because you have to do it again and again: every time the database has been actualized.

The developer knows that problem for months (concerns Pale Moon, Waterfox, Seamonkey and even Firefox ESR...) and he himself declares Mozilla’s WebExtension API as "crap". But he shows few intention to keep compatibility with all that browsers which do not support WebExtension-AddOns: "I'm considering uploading a Flagfox 5.2.4 update to provide a little bit of extended support for Firefox 52 ESR & SeaMonkey, but I haven't worked out the best way to do this just yet. I'll post to the Flagfox blog if/when I do this." (https://flagfox.wordpress.com/) :think:
As the database format has not changed with v6, it should not be that great effort for him to keep also the v5-database up to date (no one claims for any new features in v5). – I am rather disappointed.

Is there any alternatve for that Add-on?
Last edited by Quorx on 2018-02-15, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-03-02, 15:32

Flagfox v5.2.4 has been released:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/2018/02/2 ... y-updates/
:)

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-03-05, 23:32

I just wanted to add this here that the developer has said even after he ends supporting the XUL extension the DB format is not likely to change https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/1070895/
Dave G wrote:I've released a Flagfox 5.2.4 update, primarily for Firefox 52 ESR, but it'll work in anything else Flagfox 5.2.x runs in. You can get it here:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/2018/02/2 ... y-updates/

(Just FYI: Even after I eventually discontinue providing these updates, I have no plans to change the IPDB file format any time soon, at least not likely in a backwards-incompatible way.)
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-03-05, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-29, 03:29

Trying to contact developers, I've found out Flagfox 5.2.5 has been released: Download | Flagfox

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 04:45

Am I missing something here? He says,
Installation Requirements:
Flagfox 5.2.x ESR requires Firefox 52 ESR, including updates, or a fork based on at least that version, and will not run in later versions of Firefox.
So this version will not work with PM at this time right? Is this just for Basilisk? :think:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-05, 16:12

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Am I missing something here? So this version will not work with PM at this time right?
You are wrong, it's meant for Pale Moon too and it works fine - the new 5.2.6 version included.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 17:15

Well, I wouldn't say that "I" was wrong, I'm simply quoting what the developer wrote. :crazy:
and will not run in later versions of Firefox.
It is my understanding that PM 27 is based on an older version than the latest FF ESR.

But I appreciate the answer. ;)
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-05, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-05, 18:30

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Well, I wouldn't say that "I" was wrong, I'm simply quoting what the developer wrote.

But he also wrote this (from Flagfox FAQ):
  • What versions of Firefox does Flagfox support?
    Flagfox 6.0 supports Firefox 57+, and has limited support for Firefox 56. Flagfox 5.2 supports Firefox 24-56 and SeaMonkey 2.21+, however Firefox 52+ (ESR) is highly recommended. Flagfox also may work in some Firefox forks based on equivalent versions, such as Waterfox, which is based on Firefox 56. [colored emphasis added]
And see also kelendral's quote from the developer from an AMO review, a few posts up (even better, read the whole review).

The install.rdf of v5.2.6 says (for Firefox): minVersion 24.0, maxVersion 56.* (this covers PM).

It sounds like the developer may not have tested Flagfox v5.2* on older FF or FF forks - but he does seem to pretty much expect it to work on those browsers.

I just now installed Flagfox 5.2.6 to Pale Moon 27.9 btw, and it works totally fine.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 19:45

Ah, thank you for the clarification. :thumbup:

I will admit, I did not read any further after seeing the first wording I quoted earlier as I figured it did not apply to PM in
it's current form. I will go ahead and install it. :thumbup:

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-05-10, 13:31

BlueOwl wrote:Trying to contact developers, I've found out Flagfox 5.2.5 has been released: Download | Flagfox
Yep, I was going to do a separate thread here to exclaim the fact that Flagfox 5.2.x is still being updated, at least until August of this year. I didn't even know this, and had been running 5.2.3 for around 3 months after I started getting the warning about the database being out of date.

Now, the question arises, as to whether or not I should post a thread on the forums there asking for the developer to list it on addons.palemoon.org as an "external" link.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-05-10, 14:53

kbhasi wrote:
BlueOwl wrote:Trying to contact developers, I've found out Flagfox 5.2.5 has been released: Download | Flagfox
Yep, I was going to do a separate thread here to exclaim the fact that Flagfox 5.2.x is still being updated, at least until August of this year. I didn't even know this, and had been running 5.2.3 for around 3 months after I started getting the warning about the database being out of date.

Now, the question arises, as to whether or not I should post a thread on the forums there asking for the developer to list it on addons.palemoon.org as an "external" link.
There are a couple of options available:

1. Host on our site. The developer doesn't seem too keen to officially support us though from what I've seen, so I have my doubts on this.
2. List as an external. In its current state it cannot be listed as it does not have an automatic update infrastructure setup though. To do this he would need to add an "updateURL" line to his install.rdf, pointing to a relevant update manifest somewhere. With this, it would be acceptable.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-10, 19:22

@Lootyhoof @kbhasi I have emailed the dev myself, taking into account the fact that he's not supportive of Firefox forks. I have asked him if it's fine to make APMO link to his website, specifically to the section where Flagfox for FF ESR is being updated.
Come August 2018, users of Flagfox will have to go by what kelendral did, essentially copying the database from the WebExt version at that time and applying it to the PM compatible version.

Edit: re-reading Lootyhoof's answer, seems like this would need at least a modification in install.rdf... I'm not too hopeful about this, I haven't even got a real (non-automated) answer to the email I sent 12 days ago.
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-05-10, 19:34, edited 3 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-06-02, 08:41

Flagfox 5.2.7 released: https://flagfox.wordpress.com/

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-06-30, 13:32

Lootyhoof wrote:
  1. Host on our site. The developer doesn't seem too keen to officially support us though from what I've seen, so I have my doubts on this.
  2. List as an external. In its current state it cannot be listed as it does not have an automatic update infrastructure setup though. To do this he would need to add an "updateURL" line to his install.rdf, pointing to a relevant update manifest somewhere. With this, it would be acceptable.
Thanks for the clarification.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-07-01, 07:57

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-11, 21:21

Flagfox has been nothing but a PITA. Is there anything else more suitable rather than having to update a damn database all the time? Bad enough I don't see the Google map work anymore.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-12, 05:08

Flagfox works just fine. Simply install the new version by downloading the XPI and drag/dropping it on your browser window and you're done.

And no, there's no other solution than using regular updates with something like this because IP allocations to countries change all the time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite