Tab Dragging issues

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Apollo702

Tab Dragging issues

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-12-19, 15:09

I'm not sure what you are talking about here - I tried it myself (obviously) and it works exactly as-intended. You can drag the tab and it will display a ghosted image, but it will not create a new window and simply return the browser to the state it was if you drag the tab to a non-toolbar area. Without it, dragging a tab out of the tab bar would create a new window.

The part about dragging it out of the tab bar probably is the key then. What I( and others I have communicated with) is that it appears that if we touch the tab wrongly it detaches into a new window( likely with missing custom toolbars) that can be merged back to where it came from. Would it be possible to calibrate it to be less sensitive so that the new window only forms if tabs are clearly moved away to prevent the accidental tearing and detaching?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Image Viewing Allignment & Tab Dragging

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-19, 23:13

I'm sorry but it's an integral feature. If you click and drag, it will create a ghost image - just like with images in a page if you drag them. There is no "sensitivity" setting and implementing something like that really is a lot more involved than you might think. You can't use "out of the tab bar" as a criterion for it because it's also used for reordering tabs in the tab bar with drag-and-drop.

The issue is (apparently?) that you assume a new window will be created the moment the ghosted image of the page appears - which is no longer the case if you use the add-on I posted. so "touching it wrongly" is no longer "something bad" for the way you want it to work. I personally like the functionality as it allows me to easily organize tabs across multiple windows and within the tab bar. For example: I can grab a tab, drag it to the left or right side of my screen and have it snap in a new window at a good size, for example, when I do research and need info present on my screen while I continue browsing.

PS: new windows will be copies of your current window setup, including toolbars. it will be a new window the same as pressing Ctrl+N
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-12-20, 03:10

Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry but it's an integral feature. If you click and drag, it will create a ghost image - just like with images in a page if you drag them. There is no "sensitivity" setting and implementing something like that really is a lot more involved than you might think. You can't use "out of the tab bar" as a criterion for it because it's also used for reordering tabs in the tab bar with drag-and-drop.

The issue is (apparently?) that you assume a new window will be created the moment the ghosted image of the page appears - which is no longer the case if you use the add-on I posted. so "touching it wrongly" is no longer "something bad" for the way you want it to work. I personally like the functionality as it allows me to easily organize tabs across multiple windows and within the tab bar. For example: I can grab a tab, drag it to the left or right side of my screen and have it snap in a new window at a good size, for example, when I do research and need info present on my screen while I continue browsing.
I should clarify my observations. I also surf heavily(typically I average in the ballpark of 1000 pages a day) and I drag tabs all over the place. I have a number of settings in place to usually place tabs but that still means that some of them will have to be moved manually. I also sometimes outright create tab groups by topic. I completely agree that we should be able to move tabs around but my reasoning behind the question about sensitivity is because I often times get the detachments when clicking tabs off. Sometimes if I am moving the mouse ever-so-slightly while clicking the tabs detach. Also, I have been running the add-on for months and it appears to have less detachments than before- but I have no way of really quantifying it accurately.

PS: new windows will be copies of your current window setup, including toolbars. it will be a new window the same as pressing Ctrl+N
That isn't what I am getting. These days about 25% of the time( months ago it was more like 75%) of the time the new window opens with custom toolbars missing. Months ago when I would merge the stray windows back into the main group a fraction of the time(25%?) it would cause the entire setup to go corrupt. Recently it always reintegrates them flawlessly and I am still not sure what improved- but I will gladly accept it. I didn't make many changes in my setup and after considering what I have learned about toolbar corruption recently I don't see any variables that have changed or are really relevant. Although in the past I did massive experimentation and change in recent months that largely has ended. I have accomplished 99% of my goals and now it is just down to fine-tuning.

** EDIT** I think that I might know what part of the issue is. After experimenting with it for a while it seems that pages mostly detach when they are on the top row of tabs(I have it set with a multi-line tab bar.) When I asked about making it less sensitive that probably was the issue. Had tabs been on lower bars moving them slightly upwards would have kept them in the group- therefore no detachment. When clicking on ones in the top group it appears that sometimes a slight mistake of the mouse- even clicking on the "x" to shut off a tab- could cause it to move upwards and out of the group.

Therefore I should revise my question to would it be possible to completely disable this behavior as I can detach pages manually(primarily using Tab Utilities) or would be so engrained that it just isn't possible?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-20, 08:53

A "multi-line tab bar" is not supported by Pale Moon. The cause of your issue would be whatever add-on you are using that changes this behavior (which would be Tab Utilities if I read this correctly). It would have saved everyone time if you had mentioned you were using this ;)

Whatever issue you are having is unrelated to this thread which is about a core feature. As such, I'll be splitting this topic off to a new thread into the add-ons board.

Completely disabling drag&drop for tabs can possibly be done with an add-on (but I wouldn't know if someone already made one or not) - you'll have to search for it. There's no pref or something to disable it in Pale Moon as it's an integrated feature, as said. But considering you are "dragging tabs all over the place" as you said this is not what you want.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Apollo702

Re: Tab Dragging issues

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-12-20, 10:29

Moonchild wrote:A "multi-line tab bar" is not supported by Pale Moon. The cause of your issue would be whatever add-on you are using that changes this behavior (which would be Tab Utilities if I read this correctly). It would have saved everyone time if you had mentioned you were using this ;)
Tab Utilities rocks! However, I do have some questions. If you surf with many tabs open and you have the single tab bar wouldn't dragging and dropping them easily move them off of the bar- unless you want it to open up a new window every time you drag a tab? Secondly, TU has a setting that I don't understand "Enable single window mode." Would that one force the tabs to not detach? TU does have a setting to enable splitting to new windows when I want them to- however, I prefer tab groups to windows most of the time.
Completely disabling drag&drop for tabs can possibly be done with an add-on (but I wouldn't know if someone already made one or not) - you'll have to search for it. There's no pref or something to disable it in Pale Moon as it's an integrated feature, as said. But considering you are "dragging tabs all over the place" as you said this is not what you want.
This add-on might do it. I am going to do some experimentation with these things and see what happens.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/drag-tab-as-shortcut/?src=search

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-20, 10:47

Apollo702 wrote:Tab Utilities rocks!

But it's not without its problems, apparently.. I'd say profile corruption is rather serious ;)

However, I do have some questions. If you surf with many tabs open and you have the single tab bar wouldn't dragging and dropping them easily move them off of the bar- unless you want it to open up a new window every time you drag a tab?

Not really, no. Besides, it won't create a new window until such time as you let go of the button, anyway...

Secondly, TU has a setting that I don't understand [...]

Ask the TU developers?

The add-on I posted has this feature as well - if you go to options there is a checkbox to enable the creation of shortcuts, allowing you to e.g. drag a tab to the desktop to create a URL shortcut (instead of not doing anything). But it doesn't disable dragging and dropping.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-12-20, 10:59

The single window setting solves the problem. Hooray!! :D
But it's not without its problems, apparently.. I'd say profile corruption is rather serious ;)
Could you shed some light on what side effects TU would cause? Anything would help.