Youtube+ (Particle)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Youtube+ (Particle)

Unread post by Sessh » 2018-01-11, 18:51

Ok, so I am attempting a full migration over to Pale Moon from Slimjet and I do have the old Youtube+ on there and I got used to some of those features. I would like to have it on Pale Moon as well, but I also know that YT+ is out of development and bought up by an adware group, so my question to the members of this forum is this: Is there any way to get the old Youtube+ extension on this browser (manual download and installation and if so, where to download?) OR is there an alternative extension that does the same thing or is in development that I should be keeping an eye on?

I've been unable to find anything myself, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I am using the most recent Pale Moon version on Windows 7, but I also use it in a Linux VM soon to be on it's on SDD and an option for that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance!

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Youtube+ (Particle)

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-01-12, 14:49

Sessh wrote:bought up by an adware group
You are referring to Particle, right? Is the extension/script injecting ads into the browser? Does it try to download and install unwanted software on user's PC?
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2018-01-12, 19:26

hujan86 wrote:You are referring to Particle, right? Is the extension/script injecting ads into the browser? Does it try to download and install unwanted software on user's PC?
I thought they were the same thing. I was under the impression that Youtube+ was also known as Particle and that the extension was sold to an adware group and Youtube+ is no longer updated or maintained. I have it (before it became adware) on another browser where it just ads useful things to Youtube. This one is pretty close to the same thing, but it is not compatible with Pale Moon. Of course, I don't want the adware version.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/

That one would be perfect if it was compatible. Is there anything like it that is compatible with PM?

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-01-12, 20:25

Sessh wrote:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/
That one would be perfect if it was compatible. Is there anything like it that is compatible with PM?
Install Moon Tester Tool. Use Moon Tester Tool (click MTT Options button in Add-ons Manager) to install the downloaded Uid Youtube+ xpi file from disk.

Edit: Uid Youtube+ tries to open a discontinued blog page every time Pale Moon opens. So I had to remove it.
Last edited by riiis on 2018-01-12, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2018-01-14, 02:09

Install Moon Tester Tool. Use Moon Tester Tool (click MTT Options button in Add-ons Manager) to install the downloaded Uid Youtube+ xpi file from disk.
I installed MTT, but I do not know how to download the xpl file for the extension as it's something I've never had to do before. How do I do that?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-14, 04:08

If you don't know how to install extensions then you should NOT be messing with Moon Tester Tool.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-01-14, 07:13

I think it would be easier to install Greasemonkey from here https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/greasemonkey/releases/latest/ and then install the userscript version from here https://github.com/ParticleCore/Particle/wiki/Download. How about that?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-14, 07:15

Good suggestion.. Hope it works for them.

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2018-01-16, 21:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:If you don't know how to install extensions then you should NOT be messing with Moon Tester Tool.
Well, MTT looks pretty straightforward. The thing I don't know how to do is manually download an xpl file of an addon or, more specifically, where to find them. I am tech savvy enough to figure out what to do with it after that and I do know how to install and deal with addons. I've just not done it in this way before and so don't know where to find the xpl manual installation files which is what I was asking.
Cassette wrote:I think it would be easier to install Greasemonkey from here https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/greasemonkey/releases/latest/ and then install the userscript version from here https://github.com/ParticleCore/Particle/wiki/Download. How about that?
Ah, on Github. I have not used GM before, but I assume doing it this way would have GM run the Youtube+ script whenever I went to YT as opposed to installing an add-on to PM, correct?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-16, 22:56

To download an XPI without installing it, right-click the download link and select Save Link As...

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2018-01-17, 00:50

SpockMan02 wrote:To download an XPI without installing it, right-click the download link and select Save Link As...
Indeed, I know that. I just didn't know to look on GitHub for the xpl files. All I knew of installing Add-On was going to the site that has them and clicking a button to add it automatically (with the exception of uMatrix), but I just didn't know what the extension was (.xpl) or that I could install them that way using GitHub. :)

At any rate, I used the GreaseMonkey method and it was easy as pie. I also downloaded the extension and userscript just in case it disappears one day. It appears to be working fine. Thanks for the help everyone! :) Much appreciated.

-Sessh
Last edited by Sessh on 2018-01-17, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-17, 01:53

I'm glad you've got it working. :)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-01-17, 17:17

Sessh wrote:but I just didn't know what the extension was (.xpl)
Extension for add-ons is ".xpi".