Any extension to accelerate the downloads by multi-threading connections? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

tkrojam_1

Any extension to accelerate the downloads by multi-threading connections?

Unread post by tkrojam_1 » 2018-01-07, 15:08

Is there any extension to accelerate the downloads by multi-threading connections using default Pale Moon download manager?

I found and used one many years ago in Firefox but forgot the name of it...

Thanks!

tkrojam_1

Re: Any extension to accelerate the downloads by multi-threading connections?

Unread post by tkrojam_1 » 2018-01-07, 15:11

I recall it that the extension called "Firedownload" but it was discontinued now

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-01-08, 00:54

There is DownThemAll 2.0.18 (also here).

It might not be exactly what you want since It uses its own download window, but it does integrate with the save/download dialog.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-01-08, 02:13

coffeebreak wrote:There is DownThemAll 2.0.18.
DownThemAll! Version 3.0.8, better and much newer than version-2.0.18, is also available. First, install Moon Tester Tool. Download DTA 3.0.8. (Right click the "Add to Firefox" button. Select "Save Link As..." to begin the download). Then, using Moon Tester Tool Options (open in Add-ons Manager), install DTA 3.0.8 from this downloaded DTA xpi file.
Last edited by riiis on 2018-01-08, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

tkrojam_1

Unread post by tkrojam_1 » 2018-01-08, 08:52

Thanks for you guys reply! However, DTA may use single-threading connection only therefore there is no acceleration, isn't it?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-08, 09:23

Ok.. Gonna stop this right now.. Someone define multi-threading connections.. Otherwise, stop using a ridiculous term that makes no sense.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-08, 11:08

DtA downloads multiple segments of the same file in parallel (if the server allows it). Default is 4, I believe.
I'm pretty sure that is what is meant with "multi-threaded" here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-01-08, 12:47

Moonchild wrote:DtA downloads multiple segments of the same file in parallel (if the server allows it). Default is 4, I believe.
yep, up to a maximum of 10

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Any extension multi-threading download connections?

Unread post by riiis » 2018-01-23, 19:47

Try Turbo Download Manager Version 0.3.4 by InBasic. Turbo Download Manager is a jpm-type extension. So, you will have to download the extension from AMO, first. Then, use Moon Tester Tool to install.

For downloadable links (such as zip files), click on the link to open the dialog window. Select "Download with Turbo Download Manager" to download the file with TDM. Select "Save File" to download with the Pale Moon download manager.
download-links.jpg
For links that require the right-click context menu for downloads, select one of the "Turbo Download Manager" menu items to download in TDM. Select "Save Link As..." to download with the Pale Moon download manager.
save-link-as.jpg

tkrojam_1

Unread post by tkrojam_1 » 2018-01-24, 01:31

riiis wrote:Try Turbo Download Manager Version 0.3.4 by InBasic. Turbo Download Manager is a jpm-type extension. So, you will have to download the extension from AMO, first. Then, use Moon Tester Tool to install.

For downloadable links (such as zip files), click on the link to open the dialog window. Select "Download with Turbo Download Manager" to download the file with TDM. Select "Save File" to download with the Pale Moon download manager.
download-links.jpg
For links that require the right-click context menu for downloads, select one of the "Turbo Download Manager" menu items to download in TDM. Select "Save Link As..." to download with the Pale Moon download manager.
save-link-as.jpg
Hi riiis, you know what? You suggested me a SUPERBBBBBBBBBB tool!

Totally fit my requests! Nice interface, nice integration, nice guy (you)

THANKSSSSSSSSSS!
Last edited by tkrojam_1 on 2018-01-24, 01:34, edited 2 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-01-25, 04:52

riiis wrote:Try Turbo Download Manager Version 0.3.4 by InBasic. Turbo Download Manager is a jpm-type extension. So, you will have to download the extension from AMO, first. Then, use Moon Tester Tool to install.

download-links.jpg
save-link-as.jpg
i gotta say, TDM is really fast, even more than DTA. Tried the same download from SourceForge and TDM kept a constant 10.5 - 11 MB/s while DTA never got higher than 8.5 MB/s. That said DTA's much more polished interface makes me stick with it

tkrojam_1

Unread post by tkrojam_1 » 2018-01-25, 07:39

Yep, DTA interface really sucks... :problem:

Wewpt

Unread post by Wewpt » 2018-05-27, 06:08

I must be missing something regarding Turbo Download Manager...

<snip>

Nevermind, DownThemAll works fine for my needs.

Admin fel free to delete this post.

Wewpt.
Last edited by Wewpt on 2018-05-27, 07:33, edited 3 times in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-05-27, 21:19

Turbo Download Manager really is fast! Better than Down Them All. Too bad it does not work in SeaMonkey.