Extension Fix: Theme and Font Size Changer

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Extension Fix: Theme and Font Size Changer

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-05, 17:19

I'm not sure how many PM users have this extension, but just in case ...

With the changes to Fx 57, the author of this (to me at least) very valuable extension created update 62, which essentially killed it. Go figure.

Anyway, older versions (up to 56) were working fine on Pale Moon ... until today (05 Jan).

As you may or may not know, this extension is "datebombed", i.e., it stops working on a certain date. At least on my computers, today was the day :( .

Fortunately, a solution exists: http://www.rossde.com/ThemeFontSizeChan ... index.html

My thanks to the author (David Ross).

For some reason, the fix won't install on Basilisk. Is there are a workaround?

Thank you.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Extension Fix: Theme and Font Size Changer

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-01-05, 17:52

Add the firefox support back to the install.rdf file and it will install in Basilisk.

Code: Select all

<em:targetApplication>
			<Description>
			<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id><!-- firefox -->
			<em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
			<em:maxVersion>55.*</em:maxVersion>
			</Description>
			</em:targetApplication>
Bill
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-01-05, 17:57, edited 3 times in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

tman801
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tman801 » 2018-01-05, 17:53

JoeyG wrote:I'm not sure how many PM users have this extension, but just in case ...

With the changes to Fx 57, the author of this (to me at least) very valuable extension created update 62, which essentially killed it. Go figure.

Anyway, older versions (up to 56) were working fine on Pale Moon ... until today (05 Jan).

As you may or may not know, this extension is "datebombed", i.e., it stops working on a certain date. At least on my computers, today was the day :( .

Fortunately, a solution exists: http://www.rossde.com/ThemeFontSizeChan ... index.html

My thanks to the author (David Ross).

For some reason, the fix won't install on Basilisk. Is there are a workaround?

Thank you.
My thanks to David Ross and also to you for posting this fix. I just got back from Dr's. visit and was upset to find this extension no longer worked. People like me whose eyesight is not 20/20 have a hard time reading small print. This extension has helped me set the fonts the way I like them instead of what a programmer wants me to see.
Again-Thank You for posting this fix so quick.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-05, 18:17

tman801 wrote:... My thanks to David Ross and also to you for posting this fix ...
You're welcome.

I sent Mr. Ross a thank-you mail and received a very prompt reply. Unfortunately, his wife and he - like you - have had to deal with doctors the last few days. I hope you're feeling fine.

In any case, I'm glad my post was a bit helpful.
billmcct wrote:Add the firefox support back to the install.rdf file and it will install in Basilisk ...
FANTASTIC!!! Thank you very, very much.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

arnad

Unread post by arnad » 2018-01-05, 19:24

Thank you for posting this. I never would have guessed the datebomb. Does anyone know a reason for including something like this?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-05, 19:50

arnad wrote:Thank you for posting this. I never would have guessed the datebomb. Does anyone know a reason for including something like this?
You're welcome.

As to "why?", I guess "computer guys" could give several technical reasons.

However, as a layman who spent several decades teaching English to "computer guys" at two universities here in Berlin, my basic feeling is that it's an attitude thing on the part of the original extension's author.

I'm afraid it's just something we have to live with. I'm just thankful that there are other "computer guys" who find and take the time to help "technically challenged" people like me.

Hmmm, as I think of it, I guess my last comment pertains to the entire Pale Moon / Basilisk team, who have saved me from Mozilla's whimsy.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-01-05, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-01-05, 20:17

I have this problem too! I use this extension from a long time.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-15, 10:56

Weird ...

I got a message from the board that says
Hello JoeyG,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic "Extension Fix: Theme and Font Size Changer" at "Pale Moon forum". This
topic has received a reply by billartman since your last visit. No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
I was in the middle of doing brain surgery, but when I got the message, I told the nurse to take over.

However, when I got here, I didn't see any message. :o

I guess billartman changed her or his mind.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-01-15, 10:58, edited 3 times in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-01-15, 16:38

Just as a note also that I've forked the original Theme Font & Size Changer (with datebomb removed plus a couple other tweaks) using a later version (v56) and it seems to work fine. You can grab it here:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/theme-tweaker/

This should also work on Basilisk.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-15, 17:24

Lootyhoof wrote:Just as a note also that I've forked the original Theme Font & Size Changer (with datebomb removed plus a couple other tweaks) using a later version (v56) and it seems to work fine. You can grab it here:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/theme-tweaker/

This should also work on Basilisk.
It appears to work fine. Thank you very much.

Two small things: (1) The name of the dev of the original is Baris, not Barin. (2) For the very few people who use a "text only" interface (i.e. no icons), the text placed on the menu bar still says Theme Font and Size Changer rather than Theme Tweaker.

And just a suggestion: You might want to rename it Theme Text Tweaker (or something like this) since it really just changes the text rather than the entire theme.

In any case, it's great. Thanks again.

OH! And now for something completely different ...

As for Basilisk, it installed with no problem, but it didn't work. No text-button appeared on the menu bar, and clicking Tools -> Theme Tweaker opened a new tab (that said Theme Tweaker in the tab), but the control window didn't appear. The tab window was blank.

I got it to work by going into about:config, sweet-talking a couple of dragons into letting me proceed, and then manually entering the values that I have in PaleMoon. After restarting Basilisk, it worked 100% correctly.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-01-15, 18:15, edited 3 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-15, 19:14

JoeyG wrote:... sweet-talking a couple of dragons into letting me proceed...
Hahahahaha! :lol:

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-15, 19:28

SpockMan02 wrote:
JoeyG wrote:... sweet-talking a couple of dragons into letting me proceed...
Hahahahaha! :lol:
Laugh if you will, but after seeing what Smaug did to Lake Town, I didn't want to take any chances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5pp5Mq4TA

I don't have fire insurance.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-01-15, 19:28, edited 2 times in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-01-15, 19:48

JoeyG wrote:the text placed on the menu bar still says Theme Font and Size Changer rather than Theme Tweaker.
I don't understand; where are you getting this text from? Is it a toolbar button? The toolbar button has label "Theme Tweaker", as does the menu item, see below:

Image Image
These are the only ways to access the Theme Tweaker options.
JoeyG wrote:OH! And now for something completely different ...
This option is only available on the default theme, I have updated the description to clarify. It IS possible to apply this on another theme, though, as this extension essentially creates a lightweight theme (which cannot normally be applied to a complete theme); therefore, you could create it in the default theme, switch back to your theme and apply it using a tool such as ThemeTool.

...As an aside, it worked in exactly the same way in the original extension, so please don't assume this is a quirk of this fork.
JoeyG wrote:As for Basilisk, it installed with no problem, but it didn't work.
It works for me on a clean profile. Have you tried this also?

As for the name change...as this allows both changing the background colour (on the default theme) and changing the zoom level of the entire browser (on any theme), I felt that "Theme Tweaker" was more appropriate.
Last edited by Lootyhoof on 2018-01-15, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-15, 20:34

Lootyhoof wrote:... I don't understand; where are you getting this text from? Is it a toolbar button? The toolbar button has label "Theme Tweaker", as does the menu item, see below ...
Yes, but as I mentioned, and as you can see if you look at my screenshot, I'm using "text only".

The text I referred to appeared to the right of the little red pussycat, which is to the right of the search box on the address bar. I was able to move it back to the "Customize" window with no problem.
Lootyhoof wrote:This option is only available on the default theme, ... , so please don't assume this is a quirk of this fork.
I'm using a full theme, Red Cats Green Flavor, and both the original and your theme work fine for me. Thanks very much for taking the time to make this add-on.
Lootyhoof wrote:It works for me on a clean profile. Have you tried this also?
Yes, as you said, it works fine.
Lootyhoof wrote:As for the name change...as this allows both changing the background colour (on the default theme) and changing the zoom level of the entire browser (on any theme), I felt that "Theme Tweaker" was more appropriate.
It's your baby, and you did a great job. :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-01-15, 20:37

JoeyG wrote:Yes, but as I mentioned, and as you can see if you look at my screenshot, I'm using "text only".
And as I showed in my last post, the text-mode button has the correct label. ;)

Do you have a version of Theme Font and Size Changer installed still, possibly not disabled (which would make the button appear)?
JoeyG wrote:The text I referred to appeared to the right of the little red pussycat, which is to the right of the search box on the address bar.
This text does not appear on your screenshots.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-15, 20:56

Lootyhoof wrote:Do you have a version of Theme Font and Size Changer installed still, possibly not disabled (which would make the button appear)?
All the problems except the missing "Background Text Color" option were due to Theme Font & Size Changer being disabled rather than removed. Once I removed it completely, these issues went with it.

And the "Background Text Color" problem, as I said, was gone with a new profile.

Again, thank you for your effort.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-01-15, 21:26

Lootyhoof wrote:This option is only available on the default theme, I have updated the description to clarify. It IS possible to apply this on another theme, though, as this extension essentially creates a lightweight theme (which cannot normally be applied to a complete theme); therefore, you could create it in the default theme, switch back to your theme and apply it using a tool such as ThemeTool.
Line 716 of theme-tweaker-1-0-0-pm\bootstrap.js is as follows:

LightweightThemeManager.setLocalTheme(CP);

The "setLocalTheme" command goes through Add-ons Manager, which coding perhaps results in the need to use the default theme (to set up the persona/lightweight theme). I had a similar issue in the Persona/Light Theme Manager extension. The issue was resolved by changing the command (in the lwthemes.js file setTheme function) from

LightweightThemeManager.setLocalTheme(theme);

to (lines 356 to 364)(which code by-passes Add-ons Manager):

case "wear":
	  if (typeof LightweightThemeManager.themeChanged != 'function') LightweightThemeManager.currentTheme = theme; 
	  else LightweightThemeManager.themeChanged (theme); 
      if ($(".current"))
        $(".current").classList.remove("current");
      themeBox.classList.add("current");
      _currentTheme = theme;
      applyThemeToNode($(".search"), _currentTheme);
      _themes = LightweightThemeManager.usedThemes;

Similar changes to "Theme Tweaker" code may resolve "LightweightThemeManager" issues, in the "Theme Tweaker" extension, as well.
Last edited by riiis on 2018-01-15, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-01-17, 03:18

Apparently, when the background color is changed from the default in Theme Tweaker, the selected background color is applied only to the toolbars. However, when the text color is changed from the default in Theme Tweaker, the selected text color is applied just about everywhere (not just to the toolbars). Thus, it looks like Theme Tweaker can be used to create light Persona/Lightweight Themes; but Theme Tweaker can not be used to create dark Persona/Lightweight Themes. Following is a dark persona (#1E2541), created with Theme Tweaker, with appropriate light text (#FEFEFE). The tabs can be read. But, because Theme Tweaker changes all text to #FEFEFE, most other text cannot be easily read.
background-1e2541-text-fefefe.jpg
If Theme Tweaker text color is changed back to the default, text on the tab headers no longer can be easily read.
background-1e2541-text-default.jpg
If a dark Persona/Lightweight Theme is created outside of Theme Tweaker, tabs can be read and everything else can be read as well.
Solid Color 1E2541-Text FEFEFE.jpg
Last edited by riiis on 2018-01-17, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.