Organize Search Engines now for Pale Moon!

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Organize Search Engines now for Pale Moon!

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-30, 22:33

Baton34 recently updated Organize Search Engines to add Pale Moon support.
You can download version 1.96.02 from Github:
The latest release always is here.
(N.B. If you are currently using 1.95.2 or earlier, you should remove your existing installation before installing this new release.)

I use this myself, and it's an excellent extension for someone who has a lot of search plug-ins.
(You can find all sorts at the Mycroft Project.)

Maybe we can convince the developer to host at Pale Moon Add-ons Site, too? ;)
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-12-30, 22:36, edited 3 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Organize Search Engines now for Pale Moon!

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-12-30, 23:08

Thank you gracious1,
I've been using v1.7 forever now since I have about 300 search engines. Apparently he has changed the ID number or something since it didn't replace the 1.7, it installed separately, though it picked up all the settings. Cool though.

Bill
Last edited by billmcct on 2017-12-30, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-01-01, 06:37

Thanks for the heads upgracious1, and thanks for your efforts to get this extension supported again. :thumbup:

Organize Search Engines is indispensable to me... I've been using v1.7 since forever.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-01-05, 09:42

Had to revert this back to V1.7. Lost the Paste & Search function in the search box.

Bill

Edit; just tried the "Organize Search Engines 1.95.2" version and the Paste & Search function is unusable also.
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-01-05, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-01-06, 05:01

billmcct wrote:Had to revert this back to V1.7. Lost the Paste & Search function in the search box.
Edit; just tried the "Organize Search Engines 1.95.2" version and the Paste & Search function is unusable also.
You might have an extension conflict going on. I am using version 1.96.02 in PM 27.7.0a2 x86_64 (2018-01-05), and I see "Paste & Search" in the context menu (right-click in the Search Bar). Do you know how to create another profile? See if it works in a clean profile.

Also, I am not sure if you saw this in my original post:
gracious1 wrote:(N.B. If you are currently using 1.95.2 or earlier, you should remove your existing installation before installing this new release.)
g.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-01-06, 05:05, edited 4 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-01-06, 06:30

No, I have the option in both of the newer versions I tried but they wont allow me to paste and search. I can paste and then search but that defeats the purpose of the "paste & search" option. Yes I disabled all other add-ons that affect the search box with no luck. I will try in a new profile tomorrow though I just built this one two weeks ago because of a problem with uBlockO, something in the prefs.js was corrupted.

Bill
Tommy Lasorda

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-01-06, 09:59

billmcct wrote:No, I have the option in both of the newer versions I tried but they wont allow me to paste and search. I can paste and then search but that defeats the purpose of the "paste & search" option. Yes I disabled all other add-ons that affect the search box with no luck. I will try in a new profile tomorrow though I just built this one two weeks ago because of a problem with uBlockO, something in the prefs.js was corrupted.

Bill
It doesn't work for me, either — even in a clean profile. I'll report this to the developer.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-01-06, 10:00, edited 2 times in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-01-06, 12:25

baton34 has promptly fixed this issue.

https://github.com/Baton34/organize-sea ... s/releases

Bill
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-01-06, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Lasorda

andres99

Unread post by andres99 » 2018-10-26, 01:15

Thanks for making this extension available in Pale Moon!

It seems that for this moment, in 1.96.03, I cannot drag&drop to change the order of search engines. And in the Properties window it seems to me that the OK button does not work, so that I cannot make any manual changes to the search string.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-10-26, 16:47

If you choose Manage Search Engines from the search bar menu, you can choose something and then move it up or down.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-26, 16:51

Can you tell me if this extension has an export/import feature that maintains the search engine order when restored? Thanks.

andres99

Unread post by andres99 » 2018-10-26, 22:04

Goodydino wrote:If you choose Manage Search Engines from the search bar menu, you can choose something and then move it up or down.
That is the problem: it does not work there. I can change the order by moving the search engines by the buttons (Move Up or Move Down) but I cannot drag and drop there. And in editing the individual search engines, the OK button does nothing. Other functionality works.
back2themoon wrote:Can you tell me if this extension has an export/import feature that maintains the search engine order when restored? Thanks.
I cannot see Import or Export in the menus of the Manage Search Engines window.

I am using New Moon version 28.2.0a1 (32-bit) on Windows XP SP3 and Organize Search Engines v 1.96.03-fx
Last edited by andres99 on 2018-10-26, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

andres99

Unread post by andres99 » 2018-11-16, 16:30

The Enter/OK problem has been fixed as from version 1.96.04.

The Drag and Drop problem appears to be due to a decision taken by the developers of Pale Moon, and the developer of the addon has mentioned that he cannot do anything about it.

https://github.com/Baton34/organize-search-engines/issues/117#issuecomment-414037287

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-02-22, 14:50

OMG… This is a dream!!!

I have wanted to be able to edit search engines for soooo long.
Thank you for mentioning that amazing add-on.
:D :D :D

--
Related to the theme of organizing search engines, out of curiosity, has anyone understood how to get the XML Search Engines Exporter/Importer add-on to work in Pale Moon?
(it's caa:addon/search-engines-export-import when the Classic Add-On Archive extension is installed)

No worries if no one replies, as the add-on mentioned above does an amazing job.
The reason I'm curious is that the add-on page says that "features are accessible from the Search pane of the Preferences page in Firefox", but I can't find that page in PM Prefs.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-02-22, 15:23

firefoxed wrote:... has anyone understood how to get the XML Search Engines Exporter/Importer add-on to work in Pale Moon?
The XML Search Engines are located in the searchplugin folder. That's a subfolder of your Profiles/Default folder.
From here you can copy paste aka import/export the files wherever you want.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-22, 15:28

Not all profiles are Default.blah465gg3567 and not all profiles are in appdata. So to be universal, searchplugin directory in your profile directory.

For instance, I keep my main profile on a different drive and the one in appdata with Default.tthjy5563gtf or whatever is my pseudo-clean one for testing

I use my Profile Switcher extension easily to switch between them ;)

The Search pane in Preferences is an Australis thing that was done with their in-content preferences (about:preferences) and search feature fuck up.. I mean refresh.. This is how it works in Basilisk. Pale Moon's UI is the Search Engine Manager accessable from the dropdown when you click on the search bar favicon under Manage search engines.

Unlike Basilisk or the storage format of the day for Firefox, Pale Moon (and when released, my Navigator) doesn't lock up your search plugins in a barely accessable format. You just need to drop xml files into the profile while the browser is closed and next start they will be picked up. Same for backing up and restoring. Though, perhaps you should be backing up your profile on a regular basis anyway.

So you don't actually need an extension to specifically do this with Pale Moon.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-02-22, 15:54

hmm... same PERFORMANCE(Deprecation) Warring like in "original" extension organize-search-engines_1.96.03-fx.xpi. The same warring in button [CB] (PERFORMANCE WARNING) and Super Start extension :(

Code: Select all

PERFORMANCE WARNING: Search service falling back to synchronous initialization. This is generally the consequence of an add-on using a deprecated search service API.
You may find more details about this problem at: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XPCOM_Interface_Reference/nsIBrowserSearchService#async_warning
Callstack:
resource://gre/components/nsSearchService.js 2882 SRCH_SVC__ensureInitialized
resource://gre/components/nsSearchService.js 3998 SRCH_SVC_getEngineByName
jar:file:///D:/MyPROGRAMs/INET/PaleMoon28/Profiles/pm28-prof01/extensions/ose@baton34dev.xpi!/components/nsSEOrganizer.js 256 removeNonExisting
jar:file:///D:/MyPROGRAMs/INET/PaleMoon28/Profiles/pm28-prof01/extensions/ose@baton34dev.xpi!/components/nsSEOrganizer.js 111 SEOrganizer___init
jar:file:///D:/MyPROGRAMs/INET/PaleMoon28/Profiles/pm28-prof01/extensions/ose@baton34dev.xpi!/components/nsSEOrganizer.js 78 SEOrganizer
resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm 387 createInstance
Сan you guys help fix and rewrite the function in these cases, how will it be correct?

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-02-22, 15:56

gepus wrote:hat's a subfolder of your Profiles/Default folder.
From here you can copy paste aka import/export the files wherever you want.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:So you don't actually need an extension to specifically do this with Pale Moon.
Too easy!
Thank you!!!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-22, 16:02

Ignore that warning, no one cares about Mozilla's opinion on that specific matter. At least, I don't. However, if you do wanna fix it ask JustOff.. He knows how.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-22, 16:30

Just installed it, wonderful extension. Many thanks to Baton34.

(I'd love to have custom folder icons 8-) )