Reader View for Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

GMugford

Re: Reader View for Pale Moon

Unread post by GMugford » 2018-03-03, 19:23

I am using the latest Pale Moon and Reader View on a hoary old Win7 Pro x64 environment. So, my problems with Reader View might not be worth fixing, if fixable at all. There is a sports site that basically recycles articles from their print magazine and does so with full Web 2.0 wasted spacing and spaces, PLUS HUGE pictures that are zoomed in and out at a slow enough rate to 'almost' not be distracting, but actually DO distract. Gawd I hate moving things when I'm trying to read. An example can be found at: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors ... de-heaven/

Now, when I use Reader View, it captures the frame on the top which is all code for the various buttons etc. Never gets to the text. I tried the same link in a portable Google Chrome, first with Mercury Reader and then with Clearly. The Rocket entry got the third and fourth paragraphs but then got nailed by the animated icon that comes immediately after the words "with their angles." It missed the pre-amble and the remainder of the article after the icon, which is merely a rotating circle in Pale Moon AND in Chrome Portable. Clearly handled everything with aplomb. The animated element and the surrounding noise to the text were gone. It DID leave in the pictures, but made them (actually only the one with Subban in a Bull uniform that comes AFTER the Toews/Blackhawk picture that was not animated in the original) un-animated and smaller. A usable and okay rendition of the feature. I'd like Reader View to be like that, if at all possible.

Continuing on in my Blue Sky requests for Reader View ... I'd like an option to bar non-text elements. I like a dense reading experience that saves on scrolling. LEVELS of density might allow for readers who differ in opinion with me on the setting, might be good ... beyond the two levels currently available. And the BIGGEST desire? Frame-filling width-wise. The Clearly extension is VERY oriented towards exporting to a reader. It chops the character width of the text to reflect that. Resulting in a narrow column in the middle of a very wide display. Again, NOT everybody would agree with me. But I'd like the OPTION of having the frame be filled. This would result in fewer scrolls and that's a good thing. For ME. I appreciate others might not desire that to be the case. But when I see an article that requires FOUR scrolling actions and enough space to COMPLETELY ELIMINATE scrolling, I ask WHY?

THANK YOU. Your extension DOES work elsewhere. It gives me most of what I want in a reader. That's more than I had in Pale Moon, which is my DEFAULT browser, than I had before.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-04, 13:55

GMugford wrote:Now, when I use Reader View, it captures the frame on the top which is all code for the various buttons etc. Never gets to the text. I tried the same link in a portable Google Chrome, first with Mercury Reader and then with Clearly. The Rocket entry got the third and fourth paragraphs but then got nailed by the animated icon that comes immediately after the words "with their angles." It missed the pre-amble and the remainder of the article after the icon, which is merely a rotating circle in Pale Moon AND in Chrome Portable. Clearly handled everything with aplomb. The animated element and the surrounding noise to the text were gone. It DID leave in the pictures, but made them (actually only the one with Subban in a Bull uniform that comes AFTER the Toews/Blackhawk picture that was not animated in the original) un-animated and smaller. A usable and okay rendition of the feature. I'd like Reader View to be like that, if at all possible.
The Readability engine is what ultimately handles the text parsing and rendering of websites. It is a separate component from the rest of the add-on and is maintained by Mozilla, not myself. This engine is also used in Firefox's built-in Reader View, so my best advice is to try your link in Firefox. If it works there, then it is an update that I can probably take care of. If it doesn't work, then the bug is not with the add-on but with the engine itself, and should be reported to the maintainers.
GMugford wrote:Continuing on in my Blue Sky requests for Reader View ... I'd like an option to bar non-text elements. I like a dense reading experience that saves on scrolling. LEVELS of density might allow for readers who differ in opinion with me on the setting, might be good ... beyond the two levels currently available. And the BIGGEST desire? Frame-filling width-wise. The Clearly extension is VERY oriented towards exporting to a reader. It chops the character width of the text to reflect that. Resulting in a narrow column in the middle of a very wide display. Again, NOT everybody would agree with me. But I'd like the OPTION of having the frame be filled. This would result in fewer scrolls and that's a good thing. For ME. I appreciate others might not desire that to be the case. But when I see an article that requires FOUR scrolling actions and enough space to COMPLETELY ELIMINATE scrolling, I ask WHY?
Not entirely sure if I understand, but check the type controls on the left - there are buttons for changing the font size, content width, and line spacing. In your case, it sounds like you want to increase the content width.
GMugford wrote:THANK YOU. Your extension DOES work elsewhere. It gives me most of what I want in a reader. That's more than I had in Pale Moon, which is my DEFAULT browser, than I had before.
You're welcome! :D
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

GMugford

Unread post by GMugford » 2018-03-04, 22:06

I need to explain myself better. At least I got the thanks at the end right. And it's still heartfelt.

Okay, I tested the link in Firefox Quantum with Boris' Reader and got basically the same as Mercury Reader in Chrome. The top is missing. The revolving globe is deemed "undefined." Then comes paragraphs three and four in the article. And that's it. The remainder after the SECOND ad is lost. Sooo, we are not overly enthused about ANY reader tested to this point ON THIS ARTICLE, except for Clearly in Chrome. It's a PITA example and probably isn't worth further study. IF I need to do it, I know what's up and running and available in my multi-monitor setup.

About what I seek in YOUR Reader view.

[1] Scrolling relief. I hate scrolling. I hate clicking. I like reading. Thus, I want a window COMPLETELY filled with dense text (although I have limits). Each scroll you can eliminate makes me happy. You DO have a toggle density setting at the side, as you indicate. I want more. GMail has four levels and I find that adequate. It lets people who want/need Web 2.0 double spacing (it sometimes feels triple to me) to have what they want. Your font choice helps, but I have limits to how small I can handle the font size. Also, your width controls really do better than most readers, but I want ONE MORE STEP, to fill out the space completely, left to right. Okay, a quarter-inch or 10 ems or 18pt gap. Sure. I'm not THAT fanatical. But that ONE MORE STEP would be great. Getting the type down to 9 pt., the density to CompactPlus, the width to FillWidth and it would take an article that requires FOUR scrolling clicks and make it ONE screen. When I'm eating at the desk, that would come in immensely handy. My trackball would thank you as it would minimize gumming it up.

[2] I'd REALLY like an option to forego pictures. Not all the time. MOST of the time. Again, not ALL pictures tell a thousand words. Sometimes, they just take up space.

[3] A quick To Clipboard button visible all the time doesn't hurt. Wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for taking suggestions. Always happy to guinea pig if you want. I have Pale Moon and Chrome Portable running 24/7, with Maxthon, FirefoxQuantum and IronPortable two clicks away.

GM

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-06, 00:38

GMugford wrote:Okay, I tested the link in Firefox Quantum with Boris' Reader and got basically the same as Mercury Reader in Chrome. The top is missing. The revolving globe is deemed "undefined." Then comes paragraphs three and four in the article. And that's it. The remainder after the SECOND ad is lost. Sooo, we are not overly enthused about ANY reader tested to this point ON THIS ARTICLE, except for Clearly in Chrome. It's a PITA example and probably isn't worth further study. IF I need to do it, I know what's up and running and available in my multi-monitor setup.
Comparing the functionality of this add-on with other reading add-ons in Firefox or Chrome is like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing it is comparable to is the built-in Reader View feature in Firefox, which this add-on heavily draws from. Anything else will no doubt work completely differently.
GMugford wrote:[1] Scrolling relief. I hate scrolling. I hate clicking. I like reading. Thus, I want a window COMPLETELY filled with dense text (although I have limits). Each scroll you can eliminate makes me happy. You DO have a toggle density setting at the side, as you indicate. I want more. GMail has four levels and I find that adequate. It lets people who want/need Web 2.0 double spacing (it sometimes feels triple to me) to have what they want. Your font choice helps, but I have limits to how small I can handle the font size. Also, your width controls really do better than most readers, but I want ONE MORE STEP, to fill out the space completely, left to right. Okay, a quarter-inch or 10 ems or 18pt gap. Sure. I'm not THAT fanatical. But that ONE MORE STEP would be great. Getting the type down to 9 pt., the density to CompactPlus, the width to FillWidth and it would take an article that requires FOUR scrolling clicks and make it ONE screen. When I'm eating at the desk, that would come in immensely handy. My trackball would thank you as it would minimize gumming it up.
If the type controls don't fulfill your requirements, then I'm not really sure what else to suggest, aside from maybe using the arrow keys to scroll if you don't want to touch the mouse.
GMugford wrote:[2] I'd REALLY like an option to forego pictures. Not all the time. MOST of the time. Again, not ALL pictures tell a thousand words. Sometimes, they just take up space.
I can probably add a button on the sidebar to toggle showing or hiding images for an article while Reader Mode is active.
GMugford wrote:[3] A quick To Clipboard button visible all the time doesn't hurt. Wouldn't hurt.
This seems redundant. Why not select the text and copy that? Or if you want the whole article, CTRL+A CTRL+C. I'm not sure what an extra clipboard button would accomplish that can't just be done with normal browser functions.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

GMugford

Unread post by GMugford » 2018-03-06, 05:19

I'll take what I can get. The no-image toggle will help minimize scrolling.

Frankly, I use the reader feature when I am eating at my desk. As a result, I have neither the keyboard nor the trackball under my hands. BUT, when forced, I'm a trackball guy and prefer scrolling with it than keyboard shortcutting with the space bar. I wanted the clipboard button to be able to continue using the trackball WHEN accessing features. I know many, many people follow your method. I'm different but I know SOME people prefer using non-keyboard shortcuts. Ergo the request seemed reasonable to me. You disagree. And you absolutely have the right to do so. YOU are providing ME some help in a specific circumstance. I'd be a bit of a lout if I was not grateful.

So, I await the image toggle. Thanks. GM

Swicher
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Swicher » 2018-03-13, 04:26

Isengrim wrote:The reading time is there to provide an estimate for how long it takes to read the article. The Firefox implementation uses language detection and a few statistics to calculate the time based on what language the article is in; since Pale Moon has no language detection API and since I do not think it is practical to include this enormous amount of code in the add-on, the time is calculated assuming the article is in English. It isn't strictly required for the add-on to function. It could be removed, but I prefer to leave it in. Without language detection, the feature is actually quite small.
I don't know how Firefox does it, but you can make a basic language detector by checking the lang/xml:lang attribute in the HTML tag and perhaps also with the meta tag charset for character encodings that are not multilingual (such as those used in Japanese, Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew and in some other languages). This would be a way to implement it:

Code: Select all

// To make an array with all available character encodings see
// http:www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml and
// https:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding#Common_character_encodings
charset2lang = {"us-ascii": "en",
	"iso-8859-6": "ar",
	"iso-8859-7": "el",
	"iso-8859-8": "he",
	"iso-8859-9": "tr",
	"iso-8859-11": "th",
	"jis_x0201": "ja",
	"shift_jis": "ja",
	"euc-jp": "ja"
}

function basic_language_detector() {
	// Language detection through HTML tag
	var language=null;
	var html_doc=document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0];
	language=html_doc.getAttribute('lang') || html_doc.getAttribute('xml:lang');
    // Return the first two characters of the language corresponding to ISO 639-1
    // See https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_language_codes.asp for an exhaustive
    // list of languages codes
	if (language != null) { return language.substr(0,2).toLowerCase(); }
	// Second attempt using character encoding
	language = charset2lang[document.characterSet.toLowerCase()];
	return language;
}
In this way you could check the estimated reading time for other languages using the _getReadingSpeedForLanguage() function.
In case basic_language_detector() returns null then it could be assumed that the text is in English or directly does not show the estimated reading time.
If the function returns a language that is not in _getReadingSpeedForLanguage() it can do the same as in the previous point besides displaying an error/warning like this:
Unable to estimate the reading time for <language code>, contact the extension developer to solve it.
It can be displayed in the Javascript console or instead of the estimated reading time text.
fillerup wrote:
Isengrim wrote:There's actually an add-on (possibly more than one) that does give you more options for changing fonts and colors: Better Reader. I had tossed around the idea of integrating some of these features.
ah shame, not compatible with Pale Moon. perchance, do you know of any others that are?
Reader also has some interesting features, and although it can be installed up to version 55 and is listed as compatible in about:addons, it does not seem to work with the latest versions of Pale Moon.
GMugford wrote:Now, when I use Reader View, it captures the frame on the top which is all code for the various buttons etc. Never gets to the text. I tried the same link in a portable Google Chrome, first with Mercury Reader and then with Clearly. The Rocket entry got the third and fourth paragraphs but then got nailed by the animated icon that comes immediately after the words "with their angles." It missed the pre-amble and the remainder of the article after the icon, which is merely a rotating circle in Pale Moon AND in Chrome Portable. Clearly handled everything with aplomb. The animated element and the surrounding noise to the text were gone. It DID leave in the pictures, but made them (actually only the one with Subban in a Bull uniform that comes AFTER the Toews/Blackhawk picture that was not animated in the original) un-animated and smaller.
GMugford wrote:I tested the link in Firefox Quantum with Boris' Reader and got basically the same as Mercury Reader in Chrome. The top is missing. The revolving globe is deemed "undefined." Then comes paragraphs three and four in the article. And that's it. The remainder after the SECOND ad is lost.
I suspect that the site has too many superfluous elements that prevent the HTML from being parsed correctly (or the content of it is poorly structured). Maybe you could comment about this to the webmaster to make it more "reader friendly", although perhaps a solution for this type of sites could be that the extension gets the content of the printable version (at least the page looks a bit better in the print preview as well as executing the command "media emulate print" in the developer toolbar). If so, this could be an extra button on the side panel of the reading view.
Last edited by Swicher on 2018-03-13, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-03-13, 11:26

Swicher wrote:I don't know how Firefox does it, but you can make a basic language detector by checking the lang/xml:lang attribute in the HTML tag and perhaps also with the meta tag charset for character encodings that are not multilingual (such as those used in Japanese, Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew and in some other languages).
Under the hood, Firefox uses cld2 for language detection. It's C++ code that is incorporated in a javascript module. I'm not sure if it's possible to include something like this into an add-on, but even if it is, it seems like a lot of stuff to bring in just for a simple reading time estimate. Your solution is way simpler. I'll definitely look into implementing this - thanks for the tip. :thumbup:
a.k.a. Ascrod

Swicher
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Swicher » 2018-03-17, 21:09

Isengrim wrote:I'm not sure if it's possible to include something like this into an add-on.
It can be done with Emscripten transpiling the code to Javascript (according to the comments of LanguageDetector.jsm it seems that with Firefox they do it this way). I was doing some tests and the resulting .js file weighs 210 KB, although it can be reduced to around 43 KB with the -O3 parameter (to understand how the Emscripten optimizations work see http://kripken.github.io/emscripten-sit ... -Code.html). Anyway, I'm not sure how usable is cld2 in this way since when compiling and running the test program it does not recognize any language or crash, so it might require making several additional adjustments until it works well.
If you are interested in experimenting with this, these are the commands that I used:

# libcld2.js
em++ cldutil.cc cldutil_shared.cc compact_lang_det.cc compact_lang_det_hint_code.cc compact_lang_det_impl.cc debug.cc fixunicodevalue.cc generated_entities.cc generated_language.cc generated_ulscript.cc getonescriptspan.cc lang_script.cc offsetmap.cc scoreonescriptspan.cc tote.cc utf8statetable.cc cld_generated_cjk_uni_prop_80.cc cld2_generated_cjk_compatible.cc cld_generated_cjk_delta_bi_4.cc generated_distinct_bi_0.cc cld2_generated_quadchrome_2.cc cld2_generated_deltaoctachrome.cc cld2_generated_distinctoctachrome.cc cld_generated_score_quad_octa_2.cc -o libcld2.js

# libcld2_full.js (I don't know how different it is from the previous one)
em++ cldutil.cc cldutil_shared.cc compact_lang_det.cc compact_lang_det_hint_code.cc compact_lang_det_impl.cc debug.cc fixunicodevalue.cc generated_entities.cc generated_language.cc generated_ulscript.cc getonescriptspan.cc lang_script.cc offsetmap.cc scoreonescriptspan.cc tote.cc utf8statetable.cc cld_generated_cjk_uni_prop_80.cc cld2_generated_cjk_compatible.cc cld_generated_cjk_delta_bi_32.cc generated_distinct_bi_0.cc cld2_generated_quad0122.cc cld2_generated_deltaocta0122.cc cld2_generated_distinctocta0122.cc cld_generated_score_quad_octa_0122.cc -o libcld2_full.js

# cld2_unittest.js (for detection tests)
em++ cld2_unittest.cc cldutil.cc cldutil_shared.cc compact_lang_det.cc compact_lang_det_hint_code.cc compact_lang_det_impl.cc debug.cc fixunicodevalue.cc generated_entities.cc generated_language.cc generated_ulscript.cc getonescriptspan.cc lang_script.cc offsetmap.cc scoreonescriptspan.cc tote.cc utf8statetable.cc cld_generated_cjk_uni_prop_80.cc cld2_generated_cjk_compatible.cc cld_generated_cjk_delta_bi_4.cc generated_distinct_bi_0.cc cld_generated_score_quad_octa_1024_256.cc -o cld2_unittest.js

# cld2_unittest.js (alternative compilation)
em++ cld2_unittest.cc cld2_unittest.cc cldutil.cc cldutil_shared.cc compact_lang_det.cc compact_lang_det_hint_code.cc compact_lang_det_impl.cc debug.cc fixunicodevalue.cc generated_entities.cc generated_language.cc generated_ulscript.cc getonescriptspan.cc lang_script.cc offsetmap.cc scoreonescriptspan.cc tote.cc utf8statetable.cc cld_generated_cjk_uni_prop_80.cc cld2_generated_cjk_compatible.cc cld_generated_cjk_delta_bi_4.cc generated_distinct_bi_0.cc cld2_generated_quadchrome_2.cc cld2_generated_deltaoctachrome.cc cld2_generated_distinctoctachrome.cc cld_generated_score_quad_octa_2.cc -o cld2_unittest.js
GMugford, I was testing the article from sportsnet.ca and the reading view should work if the second div that is inside the footer is eliminated. In an ad blocker you could do with this filter:

www.sportsnet.ca##.main-container-white.container-fluid:nth-of-type(2) > .main-content-container.content-container.row.container-fluid
But it doesn't seem to have any effect (I guess that's because Reader View processes the raw HTML document). Maybe with Privoxy you'll get a better result.
Even so I think it would not hurt to report this to the webmaster or open an issue here.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-07, 21:03

Reader View 1.3.0 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This release includes a new option to show or hide images while in Reader Mode. There is also a new preference to disable the Reader View shortcut; you can do this by going to about:config and setting extensions.reader.hotekey.enabled to false. Finally, I've included some basic language detection for calculating reading times based on Switcher's suggestions.

Unfortunately, the new image show/hide feature broke localizations. I have updated several translations to the best of my ability, but some may be inaccurate and many more are incomplete. If you'd like to see your language added or updated, please consider contributing.

Thank you, and happy reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod

Ernst

Unread post by Ernst » 2018-04-08, 01:41

Hi, Isengrim.

Could you add an option to place Reader View icon inside the urlbar?

Thanks for the extension.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-04-08, 02:15

Ernst wrote:Could you add an option to place Reader View icon inside the urlbar?
He already did, you can find it in about:config. look here: https://github.com/Ascrod/readerview/re ... tag/v1.2.0.
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2018-04-08, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-08, 12:06

Reader View 1.3.1 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

Happy reading!
Ernst wrote:Hi, Isengrim.

You're welcome! As LimboSlam mentioned, there's already an option for this. It's also mentioned in the readme file on the github page. :)
a.k.a. Ascrod

Ernst

Unread post by Ernst » 2018-04-08, 12:23

Isengrim wrote:Reader View 1.3.1 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

Happy reading!
Ernst wrote:Hi, Isengrim.

You're welcome! As LimboSlam mentioned, there's already an option for this. It's also mentioned in the readme file on the github page. :)
Nice. Thanks.

bedeulfi

Unread post by bedeulfi » 2018-04-18, 20:26

Sidebar is kinda pointless (functionality) imo. Maybe color the sidebar because white sidebar and dark theme does hurt the eyes.
Select and Read from Reader is also sometimes a nice feature.

Anyway, nice Extension and thanks

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-28, 19:53

Reader View 1.4.0 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This update includes a few minor bugfixes, as well as new context menu entries for automatically opening a link in Reader View. Please note that if the page is not compatible with Reader View, the context menu entries will not open the page in Reader View. They are basically shortcuts for opening the link in the current tab or a new tab and then clicking the Reader button automatically.

As a side note, this will likely be the last major release for Pale Moon 27. All new development will be gearing towards Pale Moon 28 on UXP.

Happy reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-05-03, 06:40

Isengrim wrote:Reader View 1.4.0 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This update includes a few minor bugfixes, as well as new context menu entries for automatically opening a link in Reader View. Please note that if the page is not compatible with Reader View, the context menu entries will not open the page in Reader View. They are basically shortcuts for opening the link in the current tab or a new tab and then clicking the Reader button automatically.
Happy reading!
Thank You! The open in reader view option in the context menu is epic! When can we expect a keyboard shortcut for this, e.g. Ctrl+Alt+left click opens link in reader mode?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-05-03, 18:03

fatboy wrote:Thank You! The open in reader view option in the context menu is epic! When can we expect a keyboard shortcut for this, e.g. Ctrl+Alt+left click opens link in reader mode?
It's a possibility. The thing is, adding a new keyboard or mouse hotkey can and will step on someone else's existing hotkey. The best solution would be to include some options for changing or disabling hotkeys for Reader View (see this related issue on the github repository). I may do this at some point in the future, but can't guarantee anything for the present.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-05-05, 19:48

Isengrim wrote:It's a possibility. The thing is, adding a new keyboard or mouse hotkey can and will step on someone else's existing hotkey. The best solution would be to include some options for changing or disabling hotkeys for Reader View (see this related issue on the github repository). I may do this at some point in the future, but can't guarantee anything for the present.
Ah ok, good point. I totally understand.I'm more than happy with how it works now, so no worries :)
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-02, 19:29

Reader View 2.0.0 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This is a major release with significant back-end changes but very few front-end changes. This is the first release to support Pale Moon 28 on UXP. Since Pale Moon 28 is still in alpha at this time, you should only see this update if you are using the unstable version of Pale Moon.

A lot of the add-on's back-end is now part of the new Unified XUL Platform. As such, a number of preferences for things such as the display font, content width, line height, and background color are now handled by the platform, and subsequently have to be renamed as part of the update process. This update should seamlessly migrate these preferences for you when you update from version 1.x to 2.0. You should not see any visible changes in your preferences, the placement of the reader button, or in any part of the interface - everything should work as it did before.

I am looking forward to continuing to support Reader View for Pale Moon and for UXP. :)

Happy reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by josephd » 2018-06-02, 23:30

Something went wrong. After reading the posts above, I decided to give it a try. Using http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/readerview/ I get the error that the add on is not compatible with Pale Moon 27.9.2. I only have 2 addons installed, Crush those cookies, UBO. No other changes to the browser have been made. Possible solution?

Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1803 (build 17134.81), PM 27.9.2 (64bit)