Reader View for Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Reader View for Pale Moon

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-13, 01:16

Reader View 1.1.2 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This release includes several localization updates and bugfixes, most notably the issue with the reader button not updating properly for tabs loaded in the background.

Happy reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-14, 22:43

Reader View 1.1.3 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This release includes several localization updates and a couple of bugfixes.

Quick roadmap update: My first priority is to see if it's possible to display the original page URL instead of the less friendly "about:reader" URL in the location bar (#7). After that, I intend to start working on the option for "docking" the button in the location bar (#16), something that has been requested a few times.

Happy reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-01-16, 11:16

Isengrim wrote:Reader View 1.1.3 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This release includes several localization updates and a couple of bugfixes.

Quick roadmap update: My first priority is to see if it's possible to display the original page URL instead of the less friendly "about:reader" URL in the location bar (#7). After that, I intend to start working on the option for "docking" the button in the location bar (#16), something that has been requested a few times.

Happy reading!
This is great! Thank You so much! I love this add-on! I especially enjoy the docking you speak of :D
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-20, 02:34

Reader View 1.2.0 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This release includes a new option to show the Reader View button in the URL bar instead of as a moveable button. You can enable this by going to about:config and setting extensions.reader.location.urlbar to true.

Happy reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-01-28, 08:11

Excellent! and the setting is useful, well done.
to me, it's sensless to have a white background, I replaced it everywhere in a browser. I`ll made a small replacement for the ReaderView "white mode" via userContent.css : delicate green :)

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url-prefix("about:reader?url=") {

.light-button,
.dark-button,
.sepia-button {
	font-weight: 600 !important;
	}

.light-button:hover {
	color: #001D00 !important;
	background-color: #73D09C !important;
	text-shadow: 1px 2px 3px #7BD8A4 !important;
	}

.dark-button:hover {
	color: #E9E9E9 !important;
	background-color: #323232 !important;
	text-shadow: 1px 2px 3px #111 !important;
	}

.sepia-button:hover {
	color: #594535 !important;
	background-color: #EFE7D4 !important;
	text-shadow: 1px 2px 3px #FBF3E0 !important;
	}

A {
	color: #004000 !important;
	}

body.light {
	color: #001D00 !important;
	background-color: #A7E7B3 !important;
/*	text-shadow: 2px 1px 2px #7BD8A4 !important;*/
	}

ARTICLE.b-singlepost-body {
	font-family: "Segoe UI" !important;
	font-style: italic !important;
	}

P {
	font-family: Georgia, Verdana,"Microsoft Sans Serif","Segoe UI",Cambria, "Franklin Gothic" !important;
	font-style: italic !important;
	font-size: 1.2em !important;
	}

#reader-toolbar:not(:hover),
.reader-toolbar:not(:hover) {
	opacity: 0.3;
	}

#reader-toolbar,
.reader-toolbar {
	background-color: #B9B7B3 !important;
	}

BUTTON {
	background-color: #B9B7B3 !important;
	}

BUTTON:hover {
	background-color: #E3E1DD !important;
	}

BUTTON[class="selected"] {
	color: #0080FF  !important;
	font-weight: 600 !important;
	}

BUTTON#close-button:hover,
BUTTON.close-button:hover {
	background-color: #DC143C !important;
	}

}

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-28, 17:13

There's actually an add-on (possibly more than one) that does give you more options for changing fonts and colors: Better Reader. I had tossed around the idea of integrating some of these features.
a.k.a. Ascrod

f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by f-117 » 2018-02-07, 01:33

I noticed (When in reader view) under the page title, there is a small "time" (#-# minutes) text shown.

I'm not sure what this "time text" is for, but I wonder if you could look into removing it from the view display? Is it needed for the reader view to function properly? If not, maybe it can be removed?

Also, how is #7 (Show original URL in location bar) fix coming? Any new ideas on this?

Scott

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-07, 02:10

The reading time is there to provide an estimate for how long it takes to read the article. The Firefox implementation uses language detection and a few statistics to calculate the time based on what language the article is in; since Pale Moon has no language detection API and since I do not think it is practical to include this enormous amount of code in the add-on, the time is calculated assuming the article is in English. It isn't strictly required for the add-on to function. It could be removed, but I prefer to leave it in. Without language detection, the feature is actually quite small.

As for issue #7, I haven't closed the issue yet because I was considering still trying to work on it, I just haven't had time lately. But as I mentioned here, full integration like what Firefox has would require making a lot of impractical changes and replacing certain components deep within the browser that I am just not comfortable doing in an add-on. If folks really want a way to get the original URL without having to close Reader View, I may look at other options.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-02-08, 06:33

Isengrim wrote:The reading time is there to provide an estimate for how long it takes to read the article. The Firefox implementation uses language detection and a few statistics to calculate the time based on what language the article is in; since Pale Moon has no language detection API and since I do not think it is practical to include this enormous amount of code in the add-on, the time is calculated assuming the article is in English. It isn't strictly required for the add-on to function. It could be removed, but I prefer to leave it in. Without language detection, the feature is actually quite small.

As for issue #7, I haven't closed the issue yet because I was considering still trying to work on it, I just haven't had time lately. But as I mentioned here, full integration like what Firefox has would require making a lot of impractical changes and replacing certain components deep within the browser that I am just not comfortable doing in an add-on. If folks really want a way to get the original URL without having to close Reader View, I may look at other options.
Thank you for this add-on and the hard work you do. This is literally my most favourite feature in Pale Moon :D

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-02-08, 16:21

Isengrim wrote:There's actually an add-on (possibly more than one) that does give you more options for changing fonts and colors: Better Reader. I had tossed around the idea of integrating some of these features.
ah shame, not compatible with Pale Moon. perchance, do you know of any others that are?
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-02-08, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-08, 18:49

fillerup wrote:ah shame, not compatible with Pale Moon. perchance, do you know of any others that are?
None that do what that one does, no. Even if Better Reader were made compatible with Pale Moon, I'm not sure it will work as expected due to differences in implementation between Firefox (native) and Pale Moon (add-on).

That said, I can look into implementing some of the features BR provides (namely custom fonts and custom color schemes) if folks are interested. The only caveat is that translations will likely need to be updated as well.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-02-09, 03:50

yes please, even something as simple as a color inverter/'night mode' would be so useful.

thank you for your work!

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-09, 05:00

fillerup wrote:yes please, even something as simple as a color inverter/'night mode' would be so useful.

thank you for your work!
If you look in the type controls on the left, you can change the theme from light to dark or sepia.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-02-09, 05:07

Isengrim wrote:If you look in the type controls on the left, you can change the theme from light to dark or sepia.
wow, can't believe i miss it, it's more than enough for me. though i'd like the left control bar to be inverted as well if possible

pmjack
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pmjack » 2018-02-15, 07:58

Thanks for porting this over to palemoon.

I miss a couple features that I would like to suggest for improvement. First is that I sometime use the narration for listening to articles in the background while I do other stuff, so I was wondering if you could add this feature in the future?
The second request is adding a "Open Link in Reader Mode" context menu. It's not a native feature in Firefox, but there is an addon[1] by the same name that allows me to do this. This pretty much bypass loading in the site first and then clicking on the reader button. Not only that, but it save your from loading garbage javascripts and rendering the dom, etc etc. I use this all the time and more so than the narration features. I hope you could add this feature!

[1]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reader-view/
Last edited by pmjack on 2018-02-15, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-15, 11:28

pmjack wrote:First is that I sometime use the narration for listening to articles in the background while I do other stuff, so I was wondering if you could add this feature in the future?
I did actually look into making a sort of "companion add-on" to add Narration. It's a very large chunk of code and porting it to an add-on would not be trivial to do. I won't say it's completely out of the question, but I don't know how feasible it is. If this does happen, it won't be for a while.

Edit: The reason one would have to include this as an add-on is because Pale Moon does not include speech synthesis tools, which Reader View's Narrate feature depends on to work.
pmjack wrote:The second request is adding a "Open Link in Reader Mode" context menu.
This I can do. :) I saw the add-on you mentioned before and considered adding something like it. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-02-15, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-02-15, 19:06

Open Link in Reader Mode is an amazing idea! I would love it!

sgage
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by sgage » 2018-02-15, 21:05

I like to use a reader view once in a while, so I went to the Add-ons page and tried them all. I liked Tranquility the best (mostly because it worked), and that's what I'm using today. Very nice, simple, but capable.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-15, 23:51

I apparently misread the earlier post. I was under the impression that the aforementioned add-on only adds a context menu entry for opening Reader View on the current page. After looking through the code (and re-reading your posts) I could still add a feature for opening the selected link in Reader View, but depending on the format of the link or whether the site is "readerable" RV may or may not actually work.
a.k.a. Ascrod

pmjack
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pmjack » 2018-02-17, 21:53

I only open article links with that Firefox reader addon anyway, so it would still work for this purpose. Looking forward to it :D