Reader View for Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Reader View for Pale Moon

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-08-17, 09:41

Haha, great! Thank You for the quick replies! You guys are awesome!
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

pmjack
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pmjack » 2018-09-17, 21:53

Thanks for implementing the *Open Link in Reader View" Isengrim! I just have one small request. Right now Open in reader view is nested in submenu with two options to open in foreground or background. I never use the open in background and would rather skip the extra step of opening the sub-menu. Can you add an option in about:config to disable the nested menu and just show a single "Open in Reader View" context menu that default to open in foreground. Something like

Code: Select all

extensions.reader.submenu = false

Also I notice that Palemoon 28 has the reader view module built in; is that true? If so, is v2.0 just a front-end to that module? Or does it still contain codes for the parser?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-18, 00:43

pmjack wrote:Can you add an option in about:config to disable the nested menu and just show a single "Open in Reader View" context menu that default to open in foreground.
I deliberated on whether I wanted to add both options to the main context menu or not. I chose to use the nested menu so as not to take up space in what might be an already-crowded context menu. I may create some options in the future to change how these options appear on the context menu, but I don't know when or what they will be yet. The next thing I want to do with this add-on is create an actual user-friendly options menu, instead of making you guys go into about:config all the time. :)
pmjack wrote:Also I notice that Palemoon 28 has the reader view module built in; is that true? If so, is v2.0 just a front-end to that module? Or does it still contain codes for the parser?
The new platform does include the Reader View module now, so yes, the add-on basically acts as a front-end for it. However, I am still responsible for maintaining that code in the platform.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by josephd » 2018-10-01, 13:00

Readerview does not look like the screenshot here. (http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/readerview/). When I was on PM 27 it worked ok. Updating to PM 28 it went haywire.
The new platform does include the Reader View module now,
Where can this be found?
Off-topic:
Clear as mud, sorry. Have no idea on how to do a screenshot.
Windows 10 (64bit) PM 28.1.0, Readerview 2.0.0
Last edited by josephd on 2018-10-01, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-01, 16:59

josephd wrote:Updating to PM 28 it went haywire.
Please be more specific - what errors or behavior do you see? Any error messages in the console or on the page? Does it work if you disable all other addons?
josephd wrote:Where can this be found?
It is now part of the platform, it's not something you have to add or worry about. It is strictly an "under the hood" change.

Edit: On second glance, I realize I didn't answer this question correctly. My apologies. The Reader module can be found in the toolkit portion of the codebase.
josephd wrote:Have no idea on how to do a screenshot.
How to use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots on Windows
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-10-01, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-10-11, 06:46

Good Day Isengrim,

I have a feature request for the reader mode, if it is possible/easy to do?

Is there a way where one can hide the sidebar of the reader add-on when in the reader view? Maybe have a button there that hides the sidebar when clicked? I have attached an image to illustrate what I am referring to.
Reader_Side_View.JPG

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-15, 11:57

Fatboy, I assume you want to hide the toolbar because it contrasts with the selected color scheme? If so, I can look into changing the colors of those controls as part of the color scheme.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-10-16, 08:25

Isengrim wrote:Fatboy, I assume you want to hide the toolbar because it contrasts with the selected color scheme? If so, I can look into changing the colors of those controls as part of the color scheme.
Hi Isengrim. Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. You assumed correctly.

If the colour change is easier to do than the hide option, great! :D Thank you!

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-04, 21:20

Reader View 2.1.0 is now up. The Pale Moon addons page and the Github repository have both been updated. Please see the release notes for details.

This new release features a new UI for editing preferences, accessible from the Add-ons manager. The preferences window exposes the options for showing the button in the URL bar and for enabling/disabling the hotkey that were previously only available in about:config. It also features a new option for configuring the hotkey for entering and exiting Reader View. The hotkey will default to Ctrl+Alt+R, but a preset for F9 (which is the key now used in Firefox on Windows) is also provided, or you may specify your own by selecting Custom and entering the key combination in the textbox. If you have configured hotkeys for the S3 Download Manager or Menu Wizard, this function should be very familiar.

I've also updated localizations for the new window, but they are in desperate need of review. If you have suggestions for improving Reader View's translation in your preferred language, please let me know either via the forum or on Github.

Happy Reading!
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-14, 11:22

Cjay26 wrote:
Isengrim wrote:When I migrated from Firefox to Pale Moon, the Reader View feature was one of the things I missed most, and I wasn't really sold on any of the existing options for making a site more readable. So I made my own: an implementation of Firefox Reader View for use as an add-on in the Pale Moon web browser....Happy reading!
OMG, can't believe I missed this for almost a year! #Me Too Missing this since giving up Firefox last Fall. Just installed the older version for Pale Moon 27.9.3 and works Great.

Thanks so much, Isengrim.

Cjay26
:( OMG, I updated to 2.1.0 using PM 28.2.0 64bit in Win 10 Pro. I have the option set to "Show in URL bar (fixed position) and now I Can't Find It Anywhere. It was OK when I first updated to PM 28 using the older Reader View version, 2.0 but I had an almost fatal crash of PM 28 2.0 last week and Reader View 2.0 and 2.1.0 have been missing ever since.

I did check about: config and those settings are OK. Please HELP. :coffee:

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-14, 11:42

Nothing was changed in the last update with the way the icon is shown - the checkbox on the preferences window just toggles the pref in about:config. Additionally, the icon will only display in the URL bar if the page is able to be viewed in Reader View, otherwise it is hidden.

If by "missing" you mean that the extension isn't even showing up in the add-ons manager, then the best I can suggest there is uninstalling and reinstalling RV.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-14, 12:54

Isengrim wrote:Nothing was changed in the last update with the way the icon is shown - the checkbox on the preferences window just toggles the pref in about:config. Additionally, the icon will only display in the URL bar if the page is able to be viewed in Reader View, otherwise it is hidden.

If by "missing" you mean that the extension isn't even showing up in the add-ons manager, then the best I can suggest there is uninstalling and reinstalling RV.
Thanks for this help.

I went to a page that I usually view w/Reader View and still didn't see the icon (used to be a little blue sheet like tab), so I looked and looked and finally went to "View"in the top tool bar and found "Enter Reader View" and it worked. I still don't see the icon I had before and I miss that. I notice that option doesn't appear in "View" on pages that can't be viewed. :shock:

Cjay26

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-14, 13:01

Link to this page, please? That way I (and others) can try to reproduce the issue.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-14, 13:27

Isengrim wrote:Link to this page, please? That way I (and others) can try to reproduce the issue.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tions.html

You need to go to "View" and see if it says Enter Reader View there.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-14, 13:37

The reader button shows up for me fine on that site, both on the toolbar and on the URL bar.

Is there another extension or theme that might be interfering with the button's visibility on the URL bar?

If you toggle the "show in URL bar" option and show the button on a toolbar instead of the URL bar, does the button enable correctly? You may have to place the button on a toolbar using the Customize menu if it isn't already placed somewhere.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-14, 14:23

Isengrim wrote:The reader button shows up for me fine on that site, both on the toolbar and on the URL bar.

Is there another extension or theme that might be interfering with the button's visibility on the URL bar?

If you toggle the "show in URL bar" option and show the button on a toolbar instead of the URL bar, does the button enable correctly? You may have to place the button on a toolbar using the Customize menu if it isn't already placed somewhere.
\

I don't see where to toggle between 'show on URL bar and "Show button on a toolbar". Is this in the options in the Add on Page or in about:config? I have checked for the icon in the Customize Menu, but it is not there. BTW, as of yesterday, Norton says that the plugin container is unsafe, but I allow it anyway.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-14, 15:14

Cjay26 wrote:I don't see where to toggle between 'show on URL bar and "Show button on a toolbar". Is this in the options in the Add on Page or in about:config?
It's on the new preferences (or "Options" in Windows) window, accessible from the Reader View entry in the add-ons manager. You can also find the setting in about:config, but the dialog is there to make the extension's settings easier to access and change.
Cjay26 wrote:I have checked for the icon in the Customize Menu, but it is not there.
It will only appear if you have the "Show in URLbar" option unchecked on the preferences window.
Cjay26 wrote:BTW, as of yesterday, Norton says that the plugin container is unsafe, but I allow it anyway.
I don't think that's related.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-11-14, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-14, 16:03

Isengrim wrote:
Cjay26 wrote:I don't see where to toggle between 'show on URL bar and "Show button on a toolbar". Is this in the options in the Add on Page or in about:config?
It's on the new preferences (or "Options" in Windows) window, accessible from the Reader View entry in the add-ons manager. You can also find the setting in about:config, but the dialog is there to make the extension's settings easier to access and change.
Cjay26 wrote:I have checked for the icon in the Customize Menu, but it is not there.
Isengrim wrote:It will only appear if you have the "Show in URL bar" option unchecked on the preferences window.
So,when "Show URL bar" is left unchecked, it defaults to show in the Toolbar, correct?
Last edited by Cjay26 on 2018-11-14, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-14, 17:23

Cjay26 wrote:So,when "Show URL bar" is left unchecked, it defaults to show in the Toolbar, correct?
Yes, depending on what toolbar you place it on. The toolbar button can be moved around or removed entirely via the browser's Customize menu.

Additionally, do you have any extensions or themes that might interfere with the button being displayed on the URL bar? Does the button on the URL bar display at all on other websites, e.g. Wikipedia?
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-15, 12:35

Isengrim wrote:
Cjay26 wrote:So,when "Show URL bar" is left unchecked, it defaults to show in the Toolbar, correct?
Yes, depending on what toolbar you place it on. The toolbar button can be moved around or removed entirely via the browser's Customize menu.

Additionally, do you have any extensions or themes that might interfere with the button being displayed on the URL bar? Does the button on the URL bar display at all on other websites, e.g. Wikipedia?
Currently, I have version 2.1.0 active and I don't have the button anywhere, not even in the Customize section. I don't have any options checked on the add-ons page so I assume I should have the button, but I really can''t find it. The pages that allow Reader View still are accessible in the "View" as "Enter Reader View" so I guess I will use that (not as convenient as having the button).

I have many extensions, none of which were added since my problem w/Reader View. If you have any suggestions about which ones it might be interfering , let me know.

Off Subject from this thread: I use the Pale Moon Profile Backup Tool from this site. I could go back to a previous date and restore PM. However, I tried to restore a backup from that app a few weeks ago and realized I didn't really know how to do it. I have compress files chosen when I backup PM. I used 7-Zip to decompress it and ended up with a file folder w/things in it expecting to see an .exe file to open it but there was none. At this point, if you could point me to a thread that would explain how to do this, I would appreciate that very much. :coffee: :D