Reader View for Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Reader View for Pale Moon

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-06-03, 00:22

josephd wrote:After reading the posts above, I decided to give it a try... add on is not compatible with Pale Moon 27.9.2. ....Possible solution?

Did you really..? ;) Reread again, please:
Isengrim wrote:This is the first release to support Pale Moon 28 on UXP. Since Pale Moon 28 is still in alpha at this time, you should only see this update if you are using the unstable version of Pale Moon.
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2018-06-03, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-03, 00:59

Sorry, I should have been more clear... Reader View 2.0.0 will only support Pale Moon 28 and up. It definitely won't work on PM 27.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by josephd » 2018-06-03, 01:34

LimboSlam wrote:
Did you really..? ;) Reread again, please:
Read through thread twice. Cleaned glasses and at your suggestion read again. Still had same issue. Thanks for your NON help.
Isengrim wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear... Reader View 2.0.0 will only support Pale Moon 28 and up. It definitely won't work on PM 27.
Thank you for the clarification. Will just wait for 28 to come out. :)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-06-03, 20:08

josephd wrote:I get the error that the add on is not compatible with Pale Moon 27.9.2.
josephd wrote:Read through thread twice. Cleaned glasses and at your suggestion read again. Still had same issue.

For future reference, on the right side of Reader View's APMO page, under the heading Release Information, you can see which versions of the extension are compatible with which versions of Pale Moon .
readerview-compatibility.png

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-06-13, 07:41

Good Day @isengrim,

I remember reading about you trying to make the reader mode icon part of the url bar? Is this still in the pipeline?

Looking forward hearing from you,
Thank You,
fatboy
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-13, 10:19

fatboy wrote:Good Day @isengrim,

I remember reading about you trying to make the reader mode icon part of the url bar? Is this still in the pipeline?

Thank You,
fatboy
There is a preference for that. Go into `about:config` and set `extensions.reader.location.urlbar` to true. The change should take effect immediately.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-06-13, 10:34

Isengrim wrote:When I migrated from Firefox to Pale Moon, the Reader View feature was one of the things I missed most, and I wasn't really sold on any of the existing options for making a site more readable. So I made my own: an implementation of Firefox Reader View for use as an add-on in the Pale Moon web browser....Happy reading!
OMG, can't believe I missed this for almost a year! #Me Too Missing this since giving up Firefox last Fall. Just installed the older version for Pale Moon 27.9.3 and works Great.

Thanks so much, Isengrim.

Cjay26

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-06-13, 10:46

Isengrim wrote: There is a preference for that. Go into `about:config` and set `extensions.reader.location.urlbar` to true. The change should take effect immediately.
Holy Crap! Amazing! I love it! Thank You!

Is there a way that there could be a toggle for this under add on settings?

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-06-13, 10:49

Isengrim wrote:
fatboy wrote:Good Day @isengrim,

Thank You,
fatboy
There is a preference for that. Go into `about:config` and set `extensions.reader.location.urlbar` to true. The change should take effect immediately.
Thanks, worked like a charm.

Cjay26

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-13, 16:10

fatboy wrote:Is there a way that there could be a toggle for this under add on settings?
I haven't started on it yet... been putting some time into other projects, and RL has been busy too. :coffee: But there are plans for a more user-friendly settings area for things like toggling that option or changing the hotkey combination.
Cjay26 wrote: OMG, can't believe I missed this for almost a year! #Me Too Missing this since giving up Firefox last Fall. Just installed the older version for Pale Moon 27.9.3 and works Great.
Better late than never, lol. Happy to help! :thumbup:
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-06-14, 05:28

Isengrim wrote: I haven't started on it yet... been putting some time into other projects, and RL has been busy too. :coffee: But there are plans for a more user-friendly settings area for things like toggling that option or changing the hotkey combination.
Aah ok, fair enough. No Worries Mate. Thanks for the awesome work! Keep it up! :thumbup:

Edit:
I think I have discovered a bug?

I open Pale Moon, open this page (https://www.livescience.com/62806-how-m ... ories.html), enter reader mode - works fine, close Pale Moon, launch it again, then I get this message:
Reader_Mode_Error.JPG
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-06-14, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-06-19, 13:13

fatboy wrote:
Isengrim wrote: I haven't started on it yet... been putting some time into other projects, and RL has been busy too. :coffee: But there are plans for a more user-friendly settings area for things like toggling that option or changing the hotkey combination.
Aah ok, fair enough. No Worries Mate. Thanks for the awesome work! Keep it up! :thumbup:

Edit:
I think I have discovered a bug?

I open Pale Moon, open this page (https://www.livescience.com/62806-how-m ... ories.html), enter reader mode - works fine, close Pale Moon, launch it again, then I get this message:
Reader_Mode_Error.JPG
Edit II:
This bug seems to happen when Javascript is disabled.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-19, 15:41

fatboy wrote:Edit II:
This bug seems to happen when Javascript is disabled.
Just saw this. Not sure if it's much of a bug, considering the assumption that most people browse with JS enabled these days. Also, many pages use JS to properly format and render the page content; removing this may affect how or if the Readability library (which this add-on leverages) parses it properly.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-06-20, 08:38

Isengrim wrote: Just saw this. Not sure if it's much of a bug, considering the assumption that most people browse with JS enabled these days. Also, many pages use JS to properly format and render the page content; removing this may affect how or if the Readability library (which this add-on leverages) parses it properly.
OK cool, fair enough. Thanks for the feedback.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-08-03, 06:22

Good Day Community,

I have a suggestion for Pale Moon reader add-on. Is it possible to add a fourth colour scheme? Something where the background is black and the text is white to increase contrast? Or would it be possible to pick your own two colours?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-03, 10:44

There are plans to add a feature for selecting your own fonts and color scheme. ;) I'm wrapped up in a few other things at the moment, but I do plan to revisit this add-on after PM 28 is officially released.
a.k.a. Ascrod

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-08-03, 11:24

Isengrim wrote:There are plans to add a feature for selecting your own fonts and color scheme. ;) I'm wrapped up in a few other things at the moment, but I do plan to revisit this add-on after PM 28 is officially released.
Ah great! Thank you! Goodluck with your work :)

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-08-16, 14:25

Discovered a bug.
Running Pale Moon 28 on Windows 10, with Australium 4.2.0 theme. See below. The text colour seems wrong?
Reader_Mode_bug.JPG

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-08-16, 14:34

fatboy wrote:Discovered a bug.
Running Pale Moon 28 on Windows 10, with Australium 4.2.0 theme. See below. The text colour seems wrong?
Reader_Mode_bug.JPG
That's a theme issue, not an extension issue. I'll push an update soon for this.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-16, 14:36

I've been using Reader View 2.0.0 on Pale Moon 28 on Windows 10 for quite a while now and have not seen this issue. I also do not have any themes installed, so I assume it is a themeing issue.

Edit: Lootyhoof got to it first. :D
a.k.a. Ascrod