Important: NoScript users and our support

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Important: NoScript users and our support

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-11, 13:34

Level 1 status means it is an add-on that is known to cause security OR stability issues Which it is.

By default this will not even disable an extension. It will only put a warning in the Add-ons Manager.

Fred G
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Fred G » 2018-05-11, 13:38

I too am here because I was interrupted this morning by a popup that looked like malware itself, warning me to uninstall NoScript. And when I told it no thanks, it tried again. But I was able to reject it again, and keep NoScript running.
Like many others, I expect NoScript to break some web sites; it also makes others work better. I keep two browsers running. PaleMoon with NoScript is my "safe" browser; NoScript blocks TwitFace and many other trackers. There are literally hundreds of ad-tech companies floating around the web; I once did a count on Yahoo's home page and it was ridiculous. I also keep Firefox running as my "unsafe" browser, without NoScript. I need it to manage some types of HTML-controlled equipment whose web UIs don't work with PM+NS. (Some don't like PM, some don't like NS.) I also use it on some known web sites that just don't work or don't work right with PM+NS, including some Disqus pages, GoogleMaps, and Zillow. But those are the exceptions, and I use that browser cautiously.
If MoonChild has a better substitute that does the same thing -- blocks ad-tech, trackers, etc., with easy overrides for broken sites -- then he should help us migrate there. Right now it looks more like he's supporting the ad-tech industry to prevent PM users from being safe. And for now I've disabled the extensions block list.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-11, 13:40

So you guys are taking a stability issue and directly .. BY CHOICE turning it into a SECURITY issue by disabling the blocklist. How does THAT make sense?!

Also,

Level 1 status means it is an add-on that is known to cause security OR stability issues Which it is.

By default this will not even disable an extension. It will only put a warning in the Add-ons Manager.

Additionally, verify your Add-on Security Level in Preferences, the default is "Medium: Block all harmful add-ons" Which by the Level 1 entry for Noscript would NOT actually block or disable it.. Only warn.

Have I mentioned this entry is one of TWELVE extensions we have ever blocked.. One of Twelve of Twenty-four thousand seven hundred and sixty-eight?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-05-11, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-05-11, 13:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:So you guys are taking a stability issue and directly .. BY CHOICE turning it into a SECURITY issue by disabling the blocklist. How does THAT make sense?!
Not a security issues if you don't install extensions. Can always turn it back on when installing new ones and off afterwards (if no warning).

Also, we asked, and nobody gave an answer except disabling the blocklist completely, so...

I mean you do realize we get AN ANNOYING popup which has NoScript disabled by default and we have to UNTICK it and then click "Restart Later" right? So it's not only an annoying warning, we also have to literally do action to enable it, because if we dismiss it as fast as possible, NoScript will be disabled.

Sorry about the bold parts but it seems you guys aren't even aware of this annoying popup???
Last edited by Weasel on 2018-05-11, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-11, 14:43

Weasel wrote:I mean you do realize we get AN ANNOYING popup which has NoScript disabled by default and we have to UNTICK it and then click "Restart Later" right? So it's not only an annoying warning, we also have to literally do action to enable it, because if we dismiss it as fast as possible, NoScript will be disabled.

Sorry about the bold parts but it seems you guys aren't even aware of this annoying popup???
The dialog pops up for a reason. If your response to a dialog popping up is to dismiss it as quickly as possible (obviously without reading it) then you don't seem to understand some basics about software. Of course the "disable" checkbox is ticked by default because that is the recommended action. If you accept the dialog as-is, you agree to take the recommended action. This has been the way software has worked for decades.

If we pop up a dialog like this we do this for a very good reason, primarily to give you a choice (if we did not, then it would just have been disabled silently -- that's not what you want, is it?). if you don't want to disable it, then untick the Disable box. Problem solved. The dialog is neither unnecessary, nor incessant (it only pops up once for you to make a choice). Are you complaining we give you a choice?

If you've raced your fingers to dismiss it as fast as possible without reading (a case of PEBCAK), then you can re-enable the extension with one click of a button in the add-ons manager. Problem solved, too.

One severe warning: despite the continued suggesting to disable the blocklist in its entirety you should NOT do this. It not only exposes you to known malware extensions or vulnerable plugins, but will also not guard you from e.g. compatibility issues with video drivers, and can in fact cause problems as severe blue screens by no longer preventing bad drivers from being tickled the wrong way.
Do NOT disable the blocklist in response to this warning.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-05-11, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-11, 14:44

Now, if you are here at the end of this thread and still feel the urge to post a reply, then you should go back and read first.

Everything has been answered already.

If you still feel you want to discuss/argue/have questions/etc., then please use the following dedicated thread about NoScript:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19119
Last edited by Admin on 2018-05-12, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite