Important: NoScript users and our support

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, Andrew Gilbertson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Important: NoScript users and our support

Postby Moonchild » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 19:10

All users of NoScript please take note: this extension is the cause of many, many websites breaking (more every day) and we cannot reasonably provide support with the browser any longer when you have NoScript installed, because in the vast majority of cases it is not a browser issue, but something in NoScript being overzealous in its blocking (e.g. from external hosts) or even due to bugs in the extension itself. Switching NoScript to "allow all", disabling NoScript in the add-on manager, or any other attempt at fixing these issues without performing a full uninstall of the extension are, on top, usually met with failure.

In most cases, the only way to get back to a sane working condition is:
  1. Complete remove NoScript from the browser
  2. Clear your cookies (Options -> Privacy -> Remove individual cookies -> Clear all cookies)
  3. Empty your cache (Options -> Advanced -> Network -> "Clear now" button under "Cached web content")
  4. Restart the browser

We're sorry that you will be considered to be "on your own" when you use NoScript, but it's been a cause for way too much lost troubleshooting time and wasted energy from developers and community members alike, and we simply can't keep doing this.
Last edited by Moonchild on Fri, 26 Jan 2018, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

BenFenner
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Important: NoScript users and our support

Postby BenFenner » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 19:31

I am extremely late to the NoScript party (only started using it on one machine, 6 months ago). I finally had enough of JS nonsense ruining my browsing experience. I have found the plugin works well with Pale Moon, and always lets me know if it is blocking JS items. I can temporarily/permanently enable JS on the page, and it will allow the scripts that initially tried to load. However, new scripts can try to load from those initial scripts, and it will block those obviously, as they are new. The plug-in lets me know it is still blocking items, and gives me the ability to temporarily/permanently allow the new ones as well. I've had to do this process sometimes as much as a dozen times to get a page to load completely, but that's in extreme cases where I actually care enough to use this site. Usually I'm not that interested.

If, after all of that things still do not work as expected, I may start considering possibly thinking about maybe this might in an off-chance be a Pale Moon issue, but I will rule out other things first.

I certainly haven't noticed any proper bugs in the plug-in, but then again I haven't been using it for a long time, nor taxing it much I bet.

No doubt, if a user is not aware of how the plug-in works, or other aspects of web behavior they may mistake Pale Moon as the cause for an issue when it is actually NoScript. It is unfortunate that must be happening enough to prompt this post, but I guess that's life. No big deal. Carry on.

Isengrim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Isengrim » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 20:25

I've been using NoScript for almost ten years now, and I have come to expect that more and more sites will break as long as I'm running content-blocking add-ons. If something doesn't work, those are the first things I troubleshoot. I am slightly disappointed by this decision, but I understand it, and I am willing to accept the risks for the time being.

For troubleshooting reasons, will running Pale Moon in safe mode be enough to temporarily mitigate issues caused by NoScript, if cookies and the network cache are also cleared?
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit)

dark_moon

Postby dark_moon » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 21:06

This is a by-design way from NoScript.
Anyway uMatrix is even better then NoScript.

Moonraker
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Postby Moonraker » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 21:09

It should be noted that when noscript is uninstalled from PM that remnants can still be found in about:config.
FWIW i think UBO is far better.
Linux Lite 3.6 64bit.
Pale moon 27.7.1

dark_moon

Postby dark_moon » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 21:13

Moonraker wrote:FWIW i think UBO is far better.

uBlock Origin by default isnt a replacement, but uMatrix is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 21:13

I'm well-aware that conscientious users of the extension will not ask immediately for support, but that isn't the problem (so no negatives if you actually know what you're doing).

The problem is users who install NoScript, without knowing the inherent risks, and expecting it to "keep them safe" but otherwise not expecting (major) breakage, and as a result come knocking with "Pale Moon doesn't work on site X!", the start of a usually pointless exercise that sometimes can even result in heated debates that nobody wants.

To cut all that short, we simply can't keep spending time on this setup. If you install NoScript, you're on your own with any breakage.

As for Safe Mode: considering that should completely short-cut any extension involvement, and clearing cache and cookies taking care of any "poisoned" web content in the browser, that should be a reasonably-safe environment to rule out NoScript's involvement. note: should.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

loxodont
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby loxodont » Sun, 03 Dec 2017, 00:23

I agree with the decision, though I think it's the growing pile of script madness out there and NoScript does a good job (mostly). However it's annoying for me too sometimes, if certain overscripted sites don't work the way they should, even if I "(Temporarily) Allow" in NoScript, and I've seen enough posts from users who aren't aware of all these functions.

I suggest to make this clear in the FAQ too, because many NS users were just recommended to install NoScript, then realize 'Ma browsa don't work' and may not look here for a browser extension problem.

Return to “Browser extensions”