AAK-Cont is dead...

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

AAK-Cont is dead...

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2017-11-17, 10:56

For those among us that use Anti-Adblock Killer Continued (AAK-Cont) in conjunction with uBlock Origin I have bad news.
With AdBlock Protector 2 ready for beta, AAK-Cont is now unmaintained.
AdBlock Protector 2 will be released soon as a webextension...

So that leaves us without anti-adblock protection. :thumbdown:
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: AAK-Cont is dead...

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-11-18, 01:05

Well...at least there's still the Adblock Warning Removal List, right?
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-18, 04:34

hujan86 wrote:Well...at least there's still the Adblock Warning Removal List, right?
Does that one work with UBlock Origin without any kind of user script?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-11-18, 06:38

You can add any list with adblock code in ublock Origin. Just enter the url, where the file is stored: Tab Settings, enter the url of the file and click on the button "Apply changes".
The address of the file is:
https://xuhaiyang1234.gitlab.io/AAK-Con ... st-ubo.txt
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-11-18, 08:39

gracious1 wrote:
hujan86 wrote:Well...at least there's still the Adblock Warning Removal List, right?
Does that one work with UBlock Origin without any kind of user script?
Nope. Doesn't need Greasemoneky to work.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-25, 23:33

nicolaasjan wrote:AdBlock Protector 2 will be released soon as a webextension...

So that leaves us without anti-adblock protection. :thumbdown:
It might be worth going to the developer's web site and asking for a XUL/XCPCOM edition that can be used by Pale Moon.

Okay, here is what the developer said:
I have no plan in supporting legacy browsers. Sorry.
Wow. :crazy: :cry:

Pale Moon is not a "legacy" browser. :evil:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-26, 01:41

So everything which does not bow down to Google technology is now legacy... Well then i am glad that Pale Moon is seen as legacy browser, because that feature-less simplistic Google crap is only supporting Google's (and Mozilla's) discrimination of everything which has more features than a simplistic stock feature set.

And whats even worse.. developers willingly submitting to that anti diversity strategy. You can compare it with someone letting a bunch of criminals into their home in the hope that those guys will be so nice and help in enlarging their property :lol:

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-11-26, 01:51

Adblock protector 2 is available as a uBO filter list; no need for an extension that, presumeably, will do the same thing.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-26, 03:45

mseliger wrote:You can add any list with adblock code in ublock Origin. Just enter the url, where the file is stored: Tab Settings, enter the url of the file and click on the button "Apply changes".
Thanks partner, got it. :thumbup:
Screenshot - 11_25_2017 , 7_43_49 PM.png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-26, 06:26

doofy wrote:Adblock protector 2 is available as a uBO filter list; no need for an extension that, presumeably, will do the same thing.

I don't think it can be *presumed* to do that.
Just because you can subscribe to the filter list standalone, doesn't mean it will work the same alone as it would with the extension.
The ABR2 extension-and-list are apparently intended to use together - just like the uBlock Protector extension-and-list for which it serves as a wrapper.

Not saying don't subscribe. But also reserve judgment and temper expectations.

BTW, There are a couple of placeholder/discussion issues for this project that people might want to check out:
[Discussion] Automation and AAK-Cont (issue #665)
[Announcement] Status of the project (issue #5)

Rumpleforeskin

Unread post by Rumpleforeskin » 2017-11-26, 16:30

Pfff. Figures. I just recently migrated over to PM which I find to be completely awesome, as I finally had to divorce myself from FF since it seems they have proven that user experience, privacy, and customization means nothing. Apparently Google (their in-the-closet buddy) and giving us the age-old excuse about how webextensions was needed to help "keep us all safe", tells me just who it is they are in bed with, so...yeah, bye bye, it was a nice 10yr+ ride. Too bad, so sad. :problem:

Anyhow yeah, I didn't notice the announcement on AAK's page. That really sucks, because I do frequent some sites that use that abhorrent and what should be completely illegal, Block-Adblock script (yes, the EU actually had a session about it, not sure what the vote was or what came of it though, but they took it serious enough to give it some attention). The guy who runs the Block Adblock script and website has to be the biggest Gestapo and commissar wanna-be I've seen in some time. I've read his articles, one about the ABP committee, which he was enraged about because he felt it would be useless. I mean, here they are trying to do some kind of compromise, and this prick spews nothing but vitriolic nonsense about it (nothing will obviously please him, short of ramming ads down everyone's throats), and even worse, outright advocated that all ads should be as intrusive as they can be (yes, he literally said that). He is beyond ignorant and a damn hypocrite, because somehow he feels it's his divine right to stop people from doing what they want with THEIR SOFTWARE/PCs/Etc, but it is perfectly fine for them to be bombarded in every way possible (and the worst way, according to what he said).

Anyhow though, in response to how this script works and what it needs to have in conjunction with it, well...I am only using GM For PM (GMFork's great extension he ported to PM) and the AAK script. It seems UBlock Origin no longer has a AAK List in the List area. It's gone. No AB Predator 2 List either, though the author of AAK has it on his site to subscribe to it from what I seen. I dunno, it seems the devs at UO dropped support for AAK. From what I have read here, his comment about PM being legacy was just really dumb. Nice to see another great piece of software go by the wayside though, and yet another one of it devs bowing down to the Eye of Sauron once again. :roll:

Right this very moment , however, GM for PM with the script running and all Ublock lists checked (I have all but a couple of the social media ones turned off), it works perfectly on all the sites I tested it on. :thumbup:

......FOR NOW lol. Because yeah, that Block Adblock guy, he is a relentless little gutter rat and I am sure he is hard at work to stop the current fix and once it goes unmaintained too long, then that's that. Hopefully someone will pick it up or develop a new one.

EDIT: Ok, AAK-Cont list is there, I just didn't see it, my bad. Just put ABP2 on and the AAK-Cont list now shows only 48 being used. It seems the new ABP2 repeats a lot of them in the older one. I can confirm BlockAdblock sites will detect your blocker unless the script is used WITH the two lists. I just disabled the script, used only the lists and that garbage flashed right up in about 5 seconds. So annoying. :thumbdown:

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-27, 17:07

Here is what Gorhill has to say in recent beta release notes.
Please note the last two sentences quoted (emphasis added).
The most useful thing people can do here for themselves is to report (to uAssets) and help resolve these issues as they're encountered.

uBO Release Notes 1.14.19b10:
Changes
The filter list "AAK-Cont Filters For uBlock Origin" has been removed from stock filter lists, it is no longer maintained. See #3241. Note that uBO is equipped to deal with anti-blockers, it's just a matter of users reporting instances to volunteer maintainers. Everybody is welcomed to assist in finding solutions to reported filter issues.
By extension, ABL/ABPrime users might consider reporting to EasyList Forum.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-28, 01:23

I'm using Scriptish 0.1.13pre, Will it still work or do I need GM?

Rumpleforeskin

Unread post by Rumpleforeskin » 2017-11-28, 13:13

Hmmm...

Well that's interesting, considering AAK-Cont just updated itself 2 times within the last 2 days. Went from 1.290 to 91 and then 92. Anyone notice this as well? I don't see anything on the page about these updates, and just as I had assumed, Ublock officially no longer is supporting the list, which makes sense since he said it will no longer be maintained.

So umm...yeah...what is with these 2 updates, are they legit or what? Kinda contradicts the whole 'no longer being maintained' statement :eh:

It seems to me the author is more concerned with making his work more appealing to the masses, by that I mean, installing a simple extension and that's basically it. He is trying to eliminate the MITM (Script Handler) and making it more accessible to people. Only problem is that it's going to backfire somewhat by removing support for many browsers. I really don't see the issue in just keeping this one going though. Whatever js code/updates are done with the extension I am sure can easily be added in the script. Meh.

I dunno, I tried everything there is when it comes to BlockAdblock and not a single thing ever worked. This is the only one that does.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-28, 16:15

doofy wrote:Adblock protector 2 is available as a uBO filter list; no need for an extension that, presumeably, will do the same thing.
Rumpleforeskin wrote:I can confirm BlockAdblock sites will detect your blocker unless the script is used WITH the two lists.

Noticed this (scroll to "Step 3."):
Step 3. Install AdBlock Protector 2 Extension . . .
. . . .
WARNING: You must install the extension, as it includes a local server as a surrogate for real ads servers, installing only the filter list will cause requests to hit the real ads servers instead.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-28, 17:12

Rumpleforeskin wrote:Well that's interesting, considering AAK-Cont just updated itself 2 times within the last 2 days. . . .
. . . .
So umm...yeah...what is with these 2 updates, are they legit or what?

It's an automated update that pulls in changes from uBlock Protector on a daily basis. See: 1, 2, 3

Apparently those updates will cease when AAK-Contd gets archived, one month after whenever ABR2 is out of beta.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-29, 02:09

I can't seem to find the AdBlock Protector 2 extension, am I missing something?
I have the filter list installed in Ublock.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-11-29, 03:26

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I can't seem to find the AdBlock Protector 2 extension, am I missing something?
https://adblockprotector2.github.io/AdBlockProtector2/

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-29, 04:43

Yes, I have been there. But there is no link to the add on and no release on the Github page.

Is there another place to get this?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-29, 05:13

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Yes, I have been there. But there is no link to the add on and no release on the Github page.

Is there another place to get this?
There are instructions at Github. But this is academic because AdBlock Protector 2 will not install in Pale Moon anyway. It is a WebExt-only add-on. See this conversation re ABP2 & PM: Github Issue #7.