Classic Add-ons Archive

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Classic Add-ons Archive

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-11-13, 23:35

Almost too good to be true. Thanks! :thumbup:

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-11-14, 13:12

This is great! I am very grateful for your hard work. :thumbup:

I used this Classic Addons Archive to fetch the latest version of CTR for my Fx 52 ESR browser. (Pale moon 26.5 is my default browser but I use 5 other browsers also).

The version of CTR that was fetched and installed was NOT the latest version but the next to latest from Oct 2017. I had to go directly to AMO to get the latest version from Nov 10. Using Classic Addons Archive worked without any problems except for not fetching the latest version of CTR. Of course, once Mozilla freezes the older non-web extensions at AMO from further updates then once you update the Addons Archive it will only need the one update but currently any extensions updated from Nov 10 on will not be in your archive until you update it.

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BobbyP » 2017-11-16, 23:28

JustOff, this really is so great, and important. Thank you very very much for all that you have already done for PM, and again, triple for taking this on, and accomplishing it. :D If I find any extensions that have yet to be included, I will let you know. Thank you very much!

TarekJor

Unread post by TarekJor » 2017-11-18, 12:39

Thanks a lot for your work, this is so important, at least we are not alone, in this, thanks for hope.

I consider very important "14 years of legacy on Mozilla Firefox addons", some of best ideas are deprecated and purged by forcing "only WebExtensions", I totally disagree with that point.

First, thank you very much, that idea is brilliant and clever (an unique XPI with catalog)

I have some "info" I researched about "addons purged by authors" as an example

Andy Alford with FirefoxPlaces related addons

referenced here: (by Daniel Lange)

original
SyncPlaces, SortPlaces ... preserving these and other excellent Firefox add-ons - Daniel Lange's blog
archive mirror
http://archive.is/watrT

WhiteAlice (some FirefoxPlaces bugFixes, never fixed by Mozilla, and then purged by author)
Go Parent Folder
Show Parent Folder
etc

About "have no plans concerning personas", no worries me (Personas are very lighweight), im not against "archiving" that but is not "too important for me"

But on "complete themes" there are some very important and "must be preserved" as ones from user dkgo

FxChrome, FxOpera, Mx4 etc or Simple White ones, there are pre-australis or Autralis UX based (depends of version)

I have a question, I undestand this is a "offline catalog" point "external links", but:

- Where are stored XPI files? because AMO is not "trustworthy source", at least non for legaxy XUL, and Wayback Machine (is only for webPages?)
- webPages are saved from ArchiveBot ArchiveTeam task (I read about, but I am not "secure" about the current state)
-So about "XPI files" I saw some "ArchiveTeam" task on archive.org (but it is "package" is not "very usable", to download individual XPIs files or versions
- What happen with extensions-addons "purged" by own creators this "last 14 years", AMO reference addons to "unique id", I have some I have saved from "purge" like:

SearchPlaces
SyncPlaces
CheckPlaces
or Zotero (original release on AMO, I think)
And some more that I notice (author vanish them)

But "is that save of "purged from AMO" is incomplete", at least "I save some important" things I used, but not others.

Extensions, on webArchiving, like Zotero, Shelve, or UnMHT, MAFF (Mozilla Archive File Format), among others like Scrapbook, variants, or Session Managers are likely "purged" or "to be abandoned"... and that is a mistake (this type of addons are very important for local webArchiving)

This is a tragedy, but, for now, some people is working on "archiving " AMO, and then "curation" of best addons-extensions "legacy XUL ones" to share and preserve (respecting authors, licenses, but for "preservation purposes"

I don't know (i search on this forum), if exists "another topic" for archiving AMO, I think now, is not (but sorry if I post this on "wrong place")...

So about XPI files?
And about "purged addons by own authors" from AMO?
example of "purged by creator"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ortplaces/ redirection from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9275/

EDIT: About "archive of best" maybe this http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2827985 would be a good community to search (if some thing (addon-extension) is missing or out of radar.

Essentialy, Addons SDK based on XUL (is a "modular" powerful browser framework) beyond "WebExtensions" lightweight approach, that is why I think some "legacy addons" are best addons (like FEBE, or MAFF)... because "are integrated on Firefox pre-Servo, now PaleMoon, WaterFox are my alternatives because (I wanna change when I want, and I have features I use, not when "Mozilla" or any Corporation "decide for me and away for me"

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-18, 18:23

TarekJor, you wrote such a huge post, mixing together a lot of of questions and statements, so I don't even know how to answer. Actually this thread is mainly about the CAA add-on, and not the general AMO archiving task, but thank you for the links you posted. At the moment, personally I'm going to take a break with activity on this topic and wait for what will be done by other stakeholders, then to try to collect everything together.

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2017-11-19, 17:52

@Justoff ..... BRILLIANT!! Thank you ever so much. :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D

I had already saved xpi's of all my extensions in my PC, but your archive is just so much easier & better than to search on AMO to get the extensions xpi's!!

lazyaccountname

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-11-19, 21:16

Would it be possible to make the extension compatible with PM 26? I doubt there many of us that are stuck on versions older than 27, but we'd be very grateful if you could lend us a hand in case the worst ends up happening and Mozilla gets rid of everything.
In any case, thank you VERY MUCH for this project.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-19, 21:25

lazyaccountname wrote:Would it be possible to make the extension compatible with PM 26?
Unfortunately Pale Moon 26 does not fully support javascript specifications required for CAA.

lazyaccountname

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-11-19, 21:48

JustOff wrote:Unfortunately Pale Moon 26 does not fully support javascript specifications required for CAA.
Well, that's a shame. Do you plan on setting up an external website for it eventually?

TarekJor

Unread post by TarekJor » 2017-11-22, 21:20

@JustOff, :D you are right, sorry for the mixed-erratic huge post, my mistake (honestly), I am very concerned about "webArchiving" itself in general, and AMO archiving in particular (so that extra motivation sometimes and bad quick reading, was a problem :D)
Thanks so much for your work with catalog, and your effort, very appreciated

That was my error, thinking about this as an "archiving AMO" topic (related but not itself), sorry.

My "objective" was informative, not spam, so sorry, honestly, for problems I caused.
My intentions are far to "disturb" you, or spam this forums. (accept my apologies)

semicodin

Unread post by semicodin » 2017-12-02, 00:18

Man, you have got to be lovin' that Wayback Machine. Dangerously addictive. Great project OP. :clap:

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-12-11, 00:24

It seems to be a great extension and a wonderful project. Could I suggest two improvements?

1. Even though I have two toolbars, I don't like wasting some toolbar space for extensions unless they are needed, Also, my first intuition was to look at the extension (in the list of extensions) and find some kind of "Options" or "Open Archive" button. So I would suggest either:
– Make an "Options" button that would open the Add-ons archive
– Make a menu item (under Tools) that would open the archive.

The icon could remain available for those who prefer that option.

2. With the new and unimproved addons.mozilla.org website, extensions for Thunderbird are harder to find. One either needs to know the address or go through the classic presentation (link at the bottom) and then select Thunderbird (or Seamonkey). And even with that, extensions that work both for Firefox and Thunderbird or Seamonkey are not listed. So I would wish a version of that extension for Thunderbird.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

libertyernie

Unread post by libertyernie » 2017-12-11, 17:11

mgagnonlv wrote:2. With the new and unimproved addons.mozilla.org website, extensions for Thunderbird are harder to find. One either needs to know the address or go through the classic presentation (link at the bottom) and then select Thunderbird (or Seamonkey). And even with that, extensions that work both for Firefox and Thunderbird or Seamonkey are not listed. So I would wish a version of that extension for Thunderbird.
Thunderbird and SeaMonkey extensions will be getting their own site at addons.thunderbird.net, so they'll still be around.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-11, 21:03

libertyernie wrote:Thunderbird and SeaMonkey extensions will be getting their own site at addons.thunderbird.net, so they'll still be around.
But will it have the ugly new look?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-12, 09:43

gracious1 wrote:
libertyernie wrote:Thunderbird and SeaMonkey extensions will be getting their own site at addons.thunderbird.net, so they'll still be around.
But will it have the ugly new look?
What's up at the moment does not.
(And clicking "View the new site" in its footer didn't change that):
addons.thunderbird.net.png

Though it's still early days - At this time of posting it didn't link to any downloadable add-ons.
Apparently for now it's still purely a development/testing site.
http://lists.thunderbird.net/pipermail/maildev_lists.thunderbird.net/2017-November/000350.html

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-12, 11:10

mgagnonlv wrote:2. With the new and unimproved addons.mozilla.org website, extensions for Thunderbird are harder to find. One either needs to know the address or go through the classic presentation (link at the bottom) and then select Thunderbird (or Seamonkey).

Speaking just to the above-mentioned search interface 'hassle factor'...

When you click the link at the bottom for the classic presentation, AMO sets a session cookie.
You can have seamless access to the classic site (so long as Mozilla keeps it available) by editing that cookie with any of several cookie extensions to make it permanent/non-session (I used Cookiekeeper). Just make sure not to delete it. The cookie's value needs to be Content: off:
amo-cookie.png

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-12-12, 17:10

Nice to know there is a future address for Thunderbird add-ons extensions. But right now, it seems to redirect to addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird and, most importantly, has the same flaws. For instance, it is impossible to find Adblock Plus and uBlock under the "thunderbird" listing because these are extensions that also work on Firefox.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-13, 14:45

Classic Add-ons Archive 1.1.0 has been released with the following changes:
  • Add-ons database was updated
  • CAA item added to the Tools menu

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic