Adblock Latitude Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

brick

Adblock Latitude

Unread post by brick » 2017-11-05, 13:38

How can I display ABL, so that I can disable as needed for certain sites? When I locate it in extensions, there is a check-box option to "Show Button," but the only visible choices are to disable or remove, nothing to activate it, not even a "done" tab.

Thanks.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Adblock Latitude

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-05, 14:38

When first installed, ABL places the button at the left end of the Status Bar. You can relocate it by Right-clicking on any toolbar, and choosing "Customize". Then drag it to your preferred location.

If you've hidden the Status Bar, Ctrl+/ will bring it in view.

interalia

Unread post by interalia » 2017-11-07, 05:45

Apologies to brick if it's bad manners to add to his/her question, but I have the exact same issue and question, and was about to start a thread of my own when I saw that this was dated little more than a day ago.

ABL (3.0.3.1) is listed in Extensions, but -- just like brick -- when I go to Options, then check the box to "Show Button" (or "Show in Toolbar", or both), there's nothing to OK or accept the choice, and the checkmark(s) immediately disappear on leaving that screen.

There is no button for ABL showing in the status bar (and so far as I'm aware never has been), nor is there an icon available for it in the Customize area, to drag to the status bar or wherever else I might put it.

I too am wanting to disable ABL on a case-by-case basis, on certain specific sites which detect it and prevent me from viewing their page till it's disabled. This is usually with an overlay in the centre of the screen that cannot be either dismissed or moved about to "read round it". Rather than start the disabling process from my ABL/Pale Moon end, they often include a button to disable an adblocker (click it and choose the relevant one from the list provided), but ABL is not one of the blockers listed, so it cannot be done from that direction either.

I'm stumped, and would appreciate any help. Many thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-07, 07:34

ABL (the most recent version is 4.0, by the way, you should upgrade) by default shows its icon in the status bar of the browser. If it doesn't display there, right-click the status bar and choose "customize...", find the icon in the customization window and drag it to where you prefer it (either the status bar or the main toolbar at the top of the browser).

Options in the add-on manager don't have an "apply/ok" option because those options are applied the moment you check them. Why the "show button" checkbox seems to have a bug, I don't know, but the indicator functionality itself seems to be working just fine (at least in 4.0 which I use myself).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

interalia

Unread post by interalia » 2017-11-07, 19:37

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer, Moonchild.

There was no ABL icon in the Customize window, as I mentioned. That's what I found puzzling, when it wasn't in the status bar either. See first screenshot.
Options in the add-on manager don't have an "apply/ok" option because those options are applied the moment you check them.
That's how I thought it should be, but when it never worked I guess I resorted to thinking maybe there was something else to 'apply' it that I hadn't spotted.
Why the "show button" checkbox seems to have a bug, I don't know
What mine looked like is in the 2nd screenshot. I've no idea, but could the & (ampersand) symbols sprinkled around in the options text have anything to do with it? I couldn't swear to it but think they'd always been there.
(the most recent version is 4.0, by the way, you should upgrade)
Thank you. In the 2nd screenshot, the setting for Automatic Updates was on 'Default', and I thought that meant it would update itself whenever necessary (so I'm afraid it hadn't occurred to me check manually). Is that wrong? Should I change it to 'On'?

However I have now upgraded to 4.0, and lo and behold -
1. An ABL button is now in the status bar, which is great.
2. In the Options window for ABL, there are no longer &/ampersands in the text.

There is still no ABL icon in the Customize window, but I assume it's because it's now already employed in the status bar?
The options setting for Automatic Updates is again 'Default'.

Very grateful for the help (and very pleased to have an ABL button now!)
Attachments
PM extensions 1.jpg
PM extensions 2.jpg

Weather

Unread post by Weather » 2017-11-09, 18:53

I don`thave button too. Palemoon 26.5.0 (WinXP/Atom) (the last version), I had AB-L 3.0.4 in my previous profile and it worked. Where do I take the last version of AB-L for me palemoon or, as I know, version 3.0.4?

I fund the button in the bottom.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-01-08, 02:50

It seems that latest EasyList+China List update cause palemoon.exe unresponsive with Adblock Latitude.
What I can do without disabling ABL?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-01-10, 15:58

roytam1 wrote:It seems that latest EasyList+China List update cause palemoon.exe unresponsive with Adblock Latitude.

@roytam1,
Using ABL 4.0.1, I installed the combined EasyList China+EasyList on one profile, and EasyList China separately on another profile that already had EasyList independently. And for good measure also added CJX's Annoyance List to both profiles. Have surfed around for the last two days with each of these setups and have not experienced any unresponsiveness (nor any freezing, crashing or similar) at all. (PM 27.6.2, Win 7 x86, ABL 4.0.1)

Could you please describe what happens in more detail? What you are doing, what page(s) are you on when the browser becomes "unresponsive"? Do you use the combined subscription, or each list separately?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-10, 16:19

roytam1 for fun.. Can you remove ABL and try ABPrime to see if we can narrow it down to see if it is ABL or a problem with Adblock Family ad blockers.. Or maybe something else..

If you are willing.. Remove.. NOT just disable.. Your filter subscriptions SHOULD be picked up by ABPrime and then back with ABL when you reinstall it.. Also, do take a back up of your filters JUST IN CASE you can do that from the filter preferences window.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-01-12, 06:50

coffeebreak wrote:
roytam1 wrote:It seems that latest EasyList+China List update cause palemoon.exe unresponsive with Adblock Latitude.

@roytam1,
Using ABL 4.0.1, I installed the combined EasyList China+EasyList on one profile, and EasyList China separately on another profile that already had EasyList independently. And for good measure also added CJX's Annoyance List to both profiles. Have surfed around for the last two days with each of these setups and have not experienced any unresponsiveness (nor any freezing, crashing or similar) at all. (PM 27.6.2, Win 7 x86, ABL 4.0.1)

Could you please describe what happens in more detail? What you are doing, what page(s) are you on when the browser becomes "unresponsive"? Do you use the combined subscription, or each list separately?
For now I disabled auto-update of subscriptions and restore a backup dated 24 Nov 2017 and everything is fine again.
Otherwise palemoon become unresponsive when browsing Google+(plus.google.com).

zlykiss

Unread post by zlykiss » 2018-02-03, 17:06

hmm i thought i would find a solution in this thread. The problem is i have an icon ABL in down/left by default but it doesnt work. ABL generally does its job but sites doesn`t recognize that i disabled blocking their ads (ABL icon from red to black). I have to click every time on a banner "please disable adblock" no matter what to continue reading and its bothersome. Oh and with ABPrime its the same. halp

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-02-04, 03:17

zlykiss wrote:...sites doesn`t recognize that i disabled blocking their ads (ABL icon from red to black).

Which site(s)?

Do you use other content/script blockers in addition to ABL? If so, turn them off too. See here.

zlykiss

Unread post by zlykiss » 2018-02-04, 20:15

coffeebreak wrote:
zlykiss wrote:...sites doesn`t recognize that i disabled blocking their ads (ABL icon from red to black).

Which site(s)?

Do you use other content/script blockers in addition to ABL? If so, turn them off too. See here.
thx for the reply.

I did not run two blocking programs at the same time. From my bookmarks there are four sites with the problem.

- http://www.eurogamer.net
- http://www.pcgamer.com
- https://www.rockpapershotgun.com
- http://knowyourmeme.com

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-02-05, 04:26

zlykiss wrote:From my bookmarks there are four sites with the problem.
- http://www.eurogamer.net
- http://www.pcgamer.com
- https://www.rockpapershotgun.com
- http://knowyourmeme.com

I could reproduce the issue on two of the four sites using ABL 4.0.1: eurogamer.net and rockpapershotgun.com.
(The other two didn't present any adblock warnings for me.) (Win 7 x86, PM 27.7.2, ABL 4.0.1)

Neither site recognized that it was whitelisted by domain in ABL.
However the adblock warning did go away if ABL was disabled "everywhere", or if first-party scripts were blocked, eg. by NoScript.

It's possible, for both sites, to prevent the warnings by blocking a script. This is effective if you plan to keep ABL active. (Unfortunately, the problem remains when the site is whitelisted (by domain), since the script that needs blocking becomes unblocked.)

Anyway, if you'd like to try this, here is how:

eurogamer.net.
  • Open Blockable Items (Ctrl+Shift+V). Filter on the word meurogamer.
  • This will bring up the script to be blocked: http: //www.eurogamer.net/scripts/Eurogamer/meurogamer.js?2
  • Plus an exception rule (whitelist) that protects that script. (This whitelist must be disabled before the script can be blocked):
    @@||eurogamer.net^$script,domain=eurogamer.net|nintendolife.com|rockpapershotgun.com|usgamer.net|vg247.com
  • Disable the whitelist using: Right-click > context menu > "Disable filter {some filter}";
  • Then block the script: Right-click > context menu > "Block this item..."
  • If you prefer to add the blocking rule manually, use:

Code: Select all

||eurogamer.net/scripts/Eurogamer/meurogamer.js?*
rockpapershotgun.com
  • In Blockable Items, filter on rps-uk:
  • Disable this whitelist: @@||rockpapershotgun.com^$script,domain=eurogamer.net|nintendolife.com|rockpapershotgun.com|usgamer.net|vg247.com
  • Then block the script that begins with: https: //rps-uk.rockpapershotgun.com/...
  • If you prefer to add the blocking rule manually, use:

||rps-uk.rockpapershotgun.com^
You might consider contacting eurogamer.net and rockpapershotgun.com about this "bug" in their detection script (well... hopefully they'll consider it a bug).
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-02-05, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2018-04-07, 16:20

Palemoon 27.8.3 (32bits).
Adblock Latitude 5.0.0.

Problem with filter :
Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List

||google.*/gen_204?$~xmlhttprequest
This prevents the opening of pictures(by clicking on them) in the 'Images' tab of the Google searches.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-08, 09:25

I don't maintain the filter lists.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-04-08, 11:05

Nova25 wrote:

||google.*/gen_204?$~xmlhttprequest
This prevents the opening of pictures(by clicking on them) in the 'Images' tab of the Google searches.
That rule comes from the 'EasyPrivacy' filter.
Any issues should be reported here:
https://github.com/easylist/easylist/issues/

I'm also using that filter, but I can't reproduce the problem (at least not with uBO).
To make sure that I haven't misunderstood something; could you post step-by-step instructions on how to trigger it?

--

EDIT:
OK, I tried using ABL, and was able to reproduce the problem.
I have a theory on what's going on..
The tilde (~) in the rule is supposed to make an exception for XMLHttpRequests, but ABL is probably not interpreting it correctly.
Last edited by Tomaso on 2018-04-08, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-04-09, 17:46

I run two copies of pale moon- one on my hard drive and one portable on a USB stick. I update them independently and with some time in between when I do so. Today I was poking around the add-ons site and realized I still had ABL 4.0.1 on both P M copies which I had recently updated to 27.8.3. I ficured I should probably to update ABL to 5.0.0. So I updated my hard drive copy. When I went in to look at the only subscription I use, the EasyList, it now had a warning in red letters that some of the filters in the subscription are disabled. The 4.0.1 version does not have this warning. The 5.0 warning has a link to enable the filters. Since I have no idea why something was disabled, i have no idea if there is a reason to leave it that way or not. Is there a way to roll back to 4 if this iw what I should do?

Thanks in advance for any advice/explanation.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 2018-04-09, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-09, 20:18

TwoTankAmin wrote:So I updated my hard drive copy. When I went in to look at the only subscription I use, the EasyList, it now had a warning in red letters that some of the filters in the subscription are disabled. The 4.0.1 version does not have this warning. The 5.0 warning has a link to enable the filters.

I can't reproduce this. EasyList has all filters enabled here, after updating from 4.0.1 to 5.0.0.

From curiosity, which filter(s) are disabled?
You can tell by opening Filter Preferences (Ctrl+Shift+E) and, in right-hand pane, sort on the "Enabled" column

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-04-10, 13:36

I have never downloaded any additional filter lists, the Easylist is the only one I have ever had, i have never disabled anything in regards to that. All I did yesterday was to download
the latest version of ABL , 5.0.0 to the hard drive version of P M and not to the USB drive. Both versions state they had their filter lists updated as of 4/9/2018. While I do not do automatic updates for almost anything, the one exception is for things like the ABL Easylist, Ghostery Tracker Library, Windows Security Essentials and Iobit Malware Fghter definitions.

Because I run the two copies of Pale Moon, one on the H D and the other on a USB stick, I normally have to update things separately. This is intentional as it prevents a browser update from knocking me offline.

Because I have minimal digital expertise, I tend to opt for doing nothing when I do not understand things. I make an effort to discover what is going on before I act, What my area of expertise was before I retired was spotting financial anomalies. I had a knack for knowing something was amiss before i knew exactly what. When it comes to digital issues, I do the same. The difference is I am unable to drill down into the digital stuff to understand it whereas I was on the financial side. So when I see a red warning like I see on the Easylist, I resist the temptation to click on what appears to be the obvious thing to do as that is how people often get hacked.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson