changing user agent has no effect Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

eriffodrol

changing user agent has no effect

Unread post by eriffodrol » 2017-10-26, 23:43

According to the incompatible addon page, an older version of User Agent Overrider is supposed to be a working substitute for changing the user agent, but I don't believe it is. I've tried it with a completely blank install, going to a few sites (facebook is a good example; it should redirect to the mobile site), but there doesn't seem to be any change.

ver 27.5.1 (32-bit)

GWL894
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: changing user agent has no effect

Unread post by GWL894 » 2017-10-31, 16:27

I believe the built-in per-site overrides (there is one for Facebook) override whatever is set in the User-Agent Overrider extension. You can disable or change them in about:config.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-31, 17:52

The extension will only work the way Firefox allows: by way of a general override applicable to all hosts. Our site-specific useragent overrides (something Firefox doesn't have) take priority over that. If we have a site specific useragent override in place (e.g. for Facebook we do) then you need to change that site-specific override to the one you wish to use in about:config (general.useragent.override.domain.tld).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

eriffodrol

Unread post by eriffodrol » 2017-11-15, 06:42

I did get it working. Thank you for the help.

(I thought I would get an email, but nothing. Settings updated.)