Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

assa3

Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by assa3 » 2017-10-18, 18:30

I did not find any.
An anti-popular, anti-constitutional criminal government of Russia led by sneaky Vladimir I Putin blocks many sites here, so I need such an addon.

User avatar
rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 339
Joined: 2011-11-18, 20:38
Location: Scotland

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-10-18, 21:28

My VPN (ipvanish) works flawlessly with PM x64, and also worked flawlessly on the x32 version I had before if my memory serves me correct. Decent VPN's aren't free but they're not expensive either.

EDIT: Apologies, I mis-read your post and see you're looking for an add-on.

doofy
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 498
Joined: 2017-08-14, 23:43

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by doofy » 2017-10-18, 23:55

The general consensus is that a free VPN is either useless or worse than useless.

PIA is highly regarded and only $40 p.a.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

User avatar
rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 339
Joined: 2011-11-18, 20:38
Location: Scotland

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-10-19, 00:15

There's loads of proxy servers out there if you're just trying to access sites, even google translate will get you into some, if you're looking to torrent or hide your shit then a 'paid for' VPN is by far the best option. Do your homework before you choose a VPN.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24449
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-19, 10:52

You don't need an add-on. If your "VPN" requires the use of an add-on, then it's not a VPN, but a misnomer for a proxy.

Actual VPN services won't be "free" because operating the hardware costs money, but there are some low-cost real VPNs out there that should help you circumvent your censorship.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

redblade7

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-20, 23:11

doofy wrote:The general consensus is that a free VPN is either useless or worse than useless.

PIA is highly regarded and only $40 p.a.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
PIA is (I think) US-based, and PureVPN just got caught retaining logs. Stay away from ibVPN, they censor web sites with "torrent" in the name, lie about servers having dynamic IPs, use Google DNS and say they don't (and delete negative comments about Google from their blog).

I am very happy with AirVPN. They are transparent with regard to their forums, cover everything (including built-in OpenNIC without leaks) and their client software is open-source. Only bad thing is the 3 connection limit.

I've never heard of a free VPN, other than a free trial where you are probably monitored.

I've never heard of a "browser addon" for a VPN, usually it's client software which makes use of OpenVPN, or if you're a Linux user they give you config files you can import into NetworkManager. I wouldn't trust a "browser addon" required for a VPN (maybe a proxy which isn't secure anyway).

TL;DR: Don't use a free VPN, and don't use a VPN that requires a browser addon. VPNs should make use of OpenVPN-based client software or OpenVPN config files, not browser addons.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-21, 03:19

Another real good one is Winscribe. They are based in Canada and if your on a tight budget
the free version gives you 10 Gigs free at normal speed with all of their features.

Here is the facts page.
https://windscribe.com/faq

redblade7

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-21, 03:37

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Another real good one is Winscribe. They are based in Canada and if your on a tight budget
the free version gives you 10 Gigs free at normal speed with all of their features.

Here is the facts page.
https://windscribe.com/faq
I thought Canada had a law requiring VPN logging?

Thehandyman1957

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-21, 03:51

Here is a quote from VikingVPN in Canada on that issue.
However it remains unclear exactly how VPNs are affected by the new law as its wording could be interpreted one way or the other. “Although the title in those articles refers to VPN’s, looking into further details on the actual legal papers, the only group that is mentioned is “ISP’s”,” said a rep from Private Internet Access.

“We, of course, are not an ISP, we are a transitory data network that provides security, encryption, and Privacy,” he said, adding that they are consulting their legal team.

Most VPN providers assign shared IPs to their customers, so it becomes really difficult to identify a copyright offender. The new scheme might result in the shutting down of several small VPN companies in Canada. Another option for such companies would be to move outside the country. While the impact of the scheme on businesses and other customers is still not apparent, it will become evident in the coming months.
This was on this page here.
https://vpncreative.net/2015/01/07/pira ... user-data/

It's a good question and I will ask Windscribe and let you know. Their customer service is awesome even for the free version.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 378
Joined: 2013-12-19, 15:12
Location: Sweden

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-10-26, 18:02

ProtonVPN

Created by the same people who created ProtonMail.... ;)
There is a FREE version with a few limitations, like limited number of countrys and servers,
and several paid versions with some extra "goodies"
The free version works really well, i know because i´m using it.... :D
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-27, 02:56

I finally got a response from Windscribe.

They said they are not an ISP and therefore are not affected by the law.

alex31
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 36
Joined: 2016-10-27, 13:49

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by alex31 » 2017-10-27, 11:55

hackerman1 wrote:ProtonVPN

Created by the same people who created ProtonMail.... ;)
There is a FREE version with a few limitations, like limited number of countrys and servers,
and several paid versions with some extra "goodies"
The free version works really well, i know because i´m using it.... :D
How is the speed of free version? Can you watch videos normally without freezes?
redblade7 wrote:I've never heard of a free VPN, other than a free trial where you are probably monitored.
"monitored" by whom? by ISP or by vpn provider itself?

I'd be interested in the comments of add-ons providers like Zenmate, Hoxx vpn, Browsec and others if they dare, regarding that they are not trusted, although even on the AMO page they stopped responding users facing facts.

Still I can agree with OP, I also lack some privacy & security extensions in Palemoon like canvas blocker...

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 378
Joined: 2013-12-19, 15:12
Location: Sweden

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-10-27, 14:39

alex31 wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:ProtonVPN

Created by the same people who created ProtonMail.... ;)
There is a FREE version with a few limitations, like limited number of countrys and servers,
and several paid versions with some extra "goodies"
The free version works really well, i know because i´m using it.... :D
How is the speed of free version? Can you watch videos normally without freezes?
I have done a few speedtests, and i got 20-22 Mbit/s (down).
Which was the same speed as the maximum available speed of the WLAN-network at the same time.
So there is no speed-limit, compared to "raw" WLAN....

It´s FREE, so why not install ProtonVPN and test it yourself...? ;)
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

redblade7

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-27, 18:05

alex31 wrote:
redblade7 wrote:I've never heard of a free VPN, other than a free trial where you are probably monitored.
"monitored" by whom? by ISP or by vpn provider itself?
ISPs can always tell when you're using a VPN (as with torrents or anything else) by using packet sniffing. But I'd imagine a "free VPN provider," if such a thing exists, would always monitor for abuse, or at least for advertising purposes.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 378
Joined: 2013-12-19, 15:12
Location: Sweden

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-10-27, 20:52

redblade7 wrote:
alex31 wrote:
redblade7 wrote:I've never heard of a free VPN, other than a free trial where you are probably monitored.
"monitored" by whom? by ISP or by vpn provider itself?
ISPs can always tell when you're using a VPN (as with torrents or anything else) by using packet sniffing. But I'd imagine a "free VPN provider," if such a thing exists, would always monitor for abuse, or at least for advertising purposes.
ProtonVPN exists...
And they do NOT monitor the traffic, neither for advertising nor for any other purpose.
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

alex31
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 36
Joined: 2016-10-27, 13:49

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by alex31 » 2017-10-27, 21:55

redblade7 wrote:
alex31 wrote:
redblade7 wrote:I've never heard of a free VPN, other than a free trial where you are probably monitored.
"monitored" by whom? by ISP or by vpn provider itself?
ISPs can always tell when you're using a VPN (as with torrents or anything else) by using packet sniffing. But I'd imagine a "free VPN provider," if such a thing exists, would always monitor for abuse, or at least for advertising purposes.
Indeed, I also know that ISP knows that someone uses vpn but they can't decrypt traffic so easily right?! or is there any other info about this? Well, if free vpn provider would sell logs to anyone who ask them, then this is indeed bad. I myself don't care if only vpn provider monitors me, in the end the only measurement is Trust even with paid vpns IMO.
Those browser extensions (btw Windscribe also has it) are also paid and have free versions at the cost of speed, but users themselves should know and aware that there are some features in browser which leak IP even when on vpn.

redblade7

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-27, 22:07

alex31 wrote:I myself don't care if only vpn provider monitors me, in the end the only measurement is Trust even with paid vpns IMO.
The main reason I use a VPN is that my ISP has a "no-harassment policy" which includes anonymous message board complaints, and that was 10 years ago before the political correctness movement took off, plus having psychological issues doesn't help. I don't want the wrong person knowing my ISP, nor do I want my ISP knowing about my social networking activities, because especially in modern times people can ruin your life if you disagree with them, and my ISP apparently thinks the same way.

alex31
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 36
Joined: 2016-10-27, 13:49

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by alex31 » 2017-10-28, 18:49

hackerman1 wrote:
alex31 wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:ProtonVPN

Created by the same people who created ProtonMail.... ;)
There is a FREE version with a few limitations, like limited number of countrys and servers,
and several paid versions with some extra "goodies"
The free version works really well, i know because i´m using it.... :D
How is the speed of free version? Can you watch videos normally without freezes?
I have done a few speedtests, and i got 20-22 Mbit/s (down).
Which was the same speed as the maximum available speed of the WLAN-network at the same time.
So there is no speed-limit, compared to "raw" WLAN....

It´s FREE, so why not install ProtonVPN and test it yourself...? ;)
Installed ProtonVPN on my test system. Enabled Secure Core and connected via Swiss-Canada server. 720p movie went with freezes. Then I turned off Secure Core and just connected via Switzerland server and this time the same movie went flawlessly. I still couldn't test free version because they force 7 days trial. Their Privacy Policy is acceptable I think.
Then I went to browserleaks.com. Flash, DNS, headers and WebRTC doesn't leak IP, but LEAKS my location by local System Time.

galaxysurfer
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 30
Joined: 2016-02-01, 20:02

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by galaxysurfer » 2017-10-29, 01:54

Do you have the option for a router based solution? That is my preferred config since it makes you vpn browser & hardware agnostic .
I use a router with DD-wrt based os. I like Asuswrt-merlin for his custom tweaks.

redblade7

Re: Is there any working VPN for PaleMoon 27 (x32)?

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-29, 03:14

galaxysurfer wrote:Do you have the option for a router based solution? That is my preferred config since it makes you vpn browser & hardware agnostic .
I use a router with DD-wrt based os. I like Asuswrt-merlin for his custom tweaks.
I wouldn't do that. Forget to turn the VPN off and you wind up on the phone with the fraud department of every big-name site you tried to log into.

Locked