Zotero Connector for Pale Moon?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Zotero Connector for Pale Moon?

Unread post by riiis » 2017-10-16, 15:28

Will there be a connector for PaleMoon? ...
I'm afraid not.
PaleMoon has decided to not go along with Firefox's changes in its add-on support (in technical terms, the switch from XPCOM to the WebExtensions API). There are understandable reasons for that, but it does mean that Zotero's connector code (which is to a significant extent identical on Chrome/Firefox/Safari) will not run on PaleMoon and maintaining a separate extension with a completely different codebase is just not going to be feasible, I'm afraid.
Starting with the new Zotero version 5.0, Zotero is available to Firefox only as a standalone application; and not available to Pale Moon at all. Prior to 5.0, Zotero was integrated into Firefox proper, using the Zotero add-on. And, these pre-5.0 Zotero add-on versions have not been compatible with Pale Moon for quite awhile.

Thus, can the "Zotero Connector" extension for Firefox (which uses WebExtensions) be easily modified or forked for use in Pale Moon (say by modifying to use either PMkit or one of the standard coding methods prior to WebExtensions)?

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Zotero Connector for Pale Moon?

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-10-16, 20:06

these pre-5.0 Zotero add-on versions have not been compatible with Pale Moon for quite awhile
I installed zotero-4.0.29.23.xpi using Moon Tester Tool 1.1.4
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool

Then Open Tools -> Zotero, click on Zotero
At the bottom of your screen, you will see different windows.

Does it work ? no idea.

edit : the icon is probably missing in the toolbar
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.