NoScript 5.1.2 hangs Palemoon when changing link in address bar

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

NoScript 5.1.2 hangs Palemoon when changing link in address bar

Unread post by Weasel » 2017-10-14, 12:21

Using Palemoon 27.5.1, both Windows and Linux versions, hang with latest NoScript. I don't update NoScript/PM that often because of things like these, so last version I had of NoScript was 5.0.3 (basically any version in-between could be the culprit).

Here's how to reproduce it 100% on my end:

1) Launch PM 27.5.1 with NoScript 5.1.2 installed and active
2) Simply type an address manually in the address bar, such as palemoon.org, and press ENTER to go to it.
3) Hangs when ENTER is pressed. Same behavior both on Linux and Windows PM.

This happens 100% of the time, no exceptions. Took me a long time to track it down to NoScript since it never gave me trouble, so for now I won't try other NoScript versions cause I'm not in the best mood so I just reverted to what works which is 5.0.3 (yeah, I hate updates, I find them a necessary evil due to security holes, bleh)

I doubt this is an issue with Palemoon itself, but it could be so I'm posting it anyway. However, I'm also interested in workarounds if there are any. I don't mind changing even NoScript itself (xpi is just a zip file) as long as it will work so please, if you have any workaround (other than using an older version of course) do share. Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: NoScript 5.1.2 hangs Palemoon when changing link in address bar

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-14, 12:46

Thanks for the report. I'll make a note of this version of NoScript. Can anyone else confirm that version 5.1.2 is problematic?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cimarronline

Unread post by cimarronline » 2017-10-14, 12:56

Hmm. I'm using Pale Moon 27.6 (unstable) in Linux and have no issues with NoScript 5.1.2.

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2017-10-14, 12:59

Same behavior like original poster

27.5.1 Linux 64 hangs with NoScript 5.1.2.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-10-14, 13:26

PM 27.5.1
Win7 32 bits
NoScript 5.1.2

no problem.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-14, 14:04

OK, that's annoying. It's a problem for half the people, but not for the other half?
The people who DO have an issue here: are you both on x64? What other extensions are you using? does the issue occur if NoScript is the only extension that is enabled?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2017-10-14, 14:30

Actually I've used both Linux & Windows x86 (32 bit) versions and they both hang (64-bit OS though, Mint 17.1 and Win7). Now I even tested the Windows version on Linux via Wine and it still hangs... And for me it hangs even with no other extensions (well, I kind of eliminated them all except NoScript first time too, since I would never have suspected NoScript to be the culprit since it never gave me any trouble in half a decade). Does it work for you Moonchild? (would be helpful if it doesn't since you can troubleshoot it far better hah)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-14, 14:45

Installed noScript 5.1.2 in Pale Moon 27.5.1 x86 portable, followed the STR, and it doesn't hang. Everything looks just fine. Works for me :P

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2017-10-14, 16:50

Sad, since this is more annoying than I thought to even track down. :(

Based on your comment I downloaded completely fresh Palemoon and using a completely clean (empty) profile. (I use the -profile command line option with script and sandbox, never used "Portable" version personally). Still hangs (both Linux, Win7 and Linux w/ Wine).

Now, this obviously means it's not about my configuration or profile or extensions or whatever. So I tried one last thing: Virtual Machine. I used Windows 7 32-bit version for my VM (bonus: so this time it's not a 64-bit OS (could be that, who knows?)). I haven't used any sandbox (restricted user really, no 3rd party app), and even ran it as "administrator"! (it's a temporary VM so I don't care about security there). I still used -profile though (to the empty profile location). Then I installed NoScript. Still hangs with one core at 100% usage.

Lastly, I removed the network card from my VM and launched Palemoon again (NoScript installed already in that fresh profile). Still hangs even without any network, so it hangs before even sending a single packet.

When it hangs, it pegs one CPU core to 100% usage, so it's not a deadlock but an infinite loop. I seriously don't know what else to try at this point. Stupid bug.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-10-14, 17:01

Weasel wrote:However, I'm also interested in workarounds if there are any. I don't mind changing even NoScript itself
uMatrix is lighter on resources and more configurable than NoScript.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-10-14, 17:14

I would simply dump noscript and use ublock origin instead.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-14, 18:41

Stop recommend solutions to NoScript. No alternative have the features NoScript have.

I got the problem with x64 version of Pale Moon.

Also see this NoScript thread https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 208#p90208

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-10-14, 22:10

dark_moon wrote:Stop recommend solutions to NoScript. No alternative have the features NoScript have.
OP said he was open to switching, so I recommended an alternative.
I used NoScript for 3 years and always hated how resource hungry it was and how thoroughly non configurable. It would sometimes take 3 page refreshes to enable a "temp allow". Inside 3 days of testing uMatrix I switched everywhere.

From memory NS has 3 features not present in uMatrix: cross scripting and another 2. I don't miss them at all.

uMatrix just doesn't seem to use resources here, and it does precisely what I ask it to at once.

With a mouse click I can toggle 1st/third party scripting, site specific or global. Ditto cookies/media/images/xhr/css/frames.

After years of fighting NoScript, uMatrix is like a breath of fresh air. Try it for a couple of days. What can you lose? First you disable NoScript so you have to click through at least one dire warning confirmation then restart your browser. If you don't like uMatrix you, er, disable it.

As an added bonus, uMatrix don't freeze your browser. If I were writing a browser, I'd hate to have to write it with NS in mind.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-10-15, 01:26

Off-topic:
Weasel wrote:
I don't mind changing even NoScript itself (xpi is just a zip file) as long as it will work so please, if you have any workaround (other than using an older version of course) do share.
Once NoScript goes 100% WebExtension (as the developer has made clear will happen) you'll have to use an older version. Or stop using it.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-15, 08:18

doofy wrote:Try it for a couple of days. What can you lose? First you disable NoScript so you have to click through at least one dire warning confirmation then restart your browser. If you don't like uMatrix you, er, disable it.
I already use uMatrix beside uBlock and NoScript (in allow all JavaScript mode).
NoScript have more features: ClearClick, ABE, HTTPS site&cookie enforcement, XSS filter.

NoScript 5.1.3rc1
x Fixed Palemoon urlbar breakage on browser restart
https://noscript.net/getit

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-10-15, 13:47

Ublock origin has script blocking AND adblocking as standard.To me noscript has had its day and is defunct as a solution.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2017-10-15, 14:08

Well when I said that I don't mind changes I meant like "patching NoScript" or something (if someone is knowledgeable), I'm not afraid of "technical workarounds" like that is what I meant. However, I don't mind alternatives so thanks for the suggestions. I'm one generally to stick to what I know but I suppose I'll have to learn to use uMatrix or uBlock Origin regardless someday (as you said about NS requiring WebExtensions in the future).

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-21, 05:33

dark_moon wrote: NoScript 5.1.3rc1
x Fixed Palemoon urlbar breakage on browser restart
https://noscript.net/getit
I couldn't get my hands on version 5.1.3rc1, so I installed version 5.1.3rc2 instead. When I installed it for the first time in one of my profiles in PM 27.6.0a1 x86_64 (2017-10-18), no problems. :thumbup:

When I upgraded from NS 5.1.1 in PM 27.4.2 x86_64 in my default profile, then the little S-snake icon/button disappeared from the status bar, and the bar that pops-up with the Options button also failed to appear. The Customize dialog did not have the status bar icon either. I restarted the browser, and that corrected the problem. But it is still strange because normally the icon appears right away, and its disappearance after an upgrade has never happened before. :problem:

I reported this at the appropriate NoScript support forum, of course.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀